OWB help !?!?

This is a discussion on OWB help !?!? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have always carried IWB but recently was given a Don Hume OWB for free. I tried it all day yesterday but the damn gun ...

Thread: OWB help !?!?

OWB help !?!?

I have always carried IWB but recently was given a Don Hume OWB for free. I tried it all day yesterday but the damn gun won't stay vertical. It seems the magazine makes the gun top heavy when holstered and the holster and gun want to lean away from my body causing a nasty print. Please help me out since I'm totally new to OWB carry.

oh...and this is with a 1.5 heavy duty leather belt. It's not an instructor belt or anything like that but it's not a limp noodle either.

2. Remove Ads

This is one of the reasons why I carry IWB too.

It may be that you have a poorly designed holster too. Without seeing the holster it's really hard to determine why. I do know that this is a common problem with certain "bottomfeeders".

Biker

Ummm..well,I'd usually say try a purpose-built gun belt,like Rafter S. I imagine though,you can tell whether it's the belt or not just by looking. If it's a JIT slide I doubt anything will hold it in tighter,there's simply not enough material there to straighten the gun out. I'm beginning to think kydex is for owb,and leather for iwb.Only my opinion.

TWBryan

Assistant Administrator
    Before I got my Eagle Defender OWB from K&D I used a Dillon rig as a temp fix for my 226 SIG ...... it was not too bad but - the K&D is IMO as tight holding in as any IWB - and so much depends I think on the design and placment of the ''ears'' and slots in those.

Mine is 2 1/2 years now into daily use and has of course well bedded in - and yet still I have the reassuring slight contact pressure of the grips against my lower ribs.

So - IMO it is not OWB that is the problem - it is simply down to good design. I have posted pics before of my rig, and that was on a crummy old belt too - and yet even so it shows as being tight in. The only difference I see compared with IWB is that I have to cover the holster lower portion. No biggie for me at all.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

My first guess is 'belt' - that magazine makes the weight very top heavy for the belt - unless the belt is specifically made for carry then it probably isn't going to hold the holster as intended.

Which model of Don Hume is it?

It is the same holster as this thread:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ad.php?t=30442

Part of the "Art" of holstermaking is insuring that the weapon rides properly. I have seldom, if ever found a factory holster that does.

The belt may certainly be part of the problem, but my guess is that it certainly is not the whole issue. I can see in the photo (supplied in the post above) that there are a couple of what I consider to be glaring design flaws in the design that just jump right out at me at first glance.

Holsters are either spit out en mass by unskilled/semi skilled workers in a factory, or very carefully handcrafted by someone who has spent much of their life living, breathing, sleeping and eating holster design. There ain't much in between. With either approach, you'll pretty much get what you pay for.

VIP Member
    There's a ton of great options out there. I have Galco Concealables for my CCW's as my OWB option. It holds the weapon snugly with NO movement at all with a good belt and is always available with no wait especially on line.

Just another thought!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Brommeland View Post
    Part of the "Art" of holstermaking is insuring that the weapon rides properly. I have seldom, if ever found a factory holster that does.

The belt may certainly be part of the problem, but my guess is that it certainly is not the whole issue. I can see in the photo (supplied in the post above) that there are a couple of what I consider to be glaring design flaws in the design that just jump right out at me at first glance.

Holsters are either spit out en mass by unskilled/semi skilled workers in a factory, or very carefully handcrafted by someone who has spent much of their life living, breathing, sleeping and eating holster design. There ain't much in between. With either approach, you'll pretty much get what you pay for.
    ...coming from a holster salesman...

I knew that would be the answer eventually.

I appreciate a custom/expensive holster but this was given to me free. At the price of free it was worth me asking the question before I throw it in the drawer to collect dust.

and as for your statement about holsters either being spit out en mass or carefully handcrafted...I belive that regardless of the method of assembly, many products (including holsters) can be manufactured, as opposed to singly produced, very well. Also, as you mentioned early, this particular holster is probably not so great due to poor design, not poor craftsmanship. No doubt there are poorly designed products all over the world in every category. It is design that gains my respect, not whether or not some guy at a bench alone did it alone or some million dollar machine did it along with thousands of others. Also, when breaking down prices, with holsters, I think you're paying more for quality of leather and parts than you are with how successful the various design aspects have been. Some of the greatest designed items are the cheapest. It all has to do with the amount of labor and parts necessary to create the piece.

Nothing against you Gary, please don't take this the wrong way.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    There's a ton of great options out there. I have Galco Concealables for my CCW's as my OWB option. It holds the weapon snugly with NO movement at all with a good belt and is always available with no wait especially on line.

Just another thought!
    I have and like my Galco IWB. I may try their OWB's.
    thanks

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by something View Post
    I have and like my Galco IWB. I may try their OWB's.
    thanks
    Yeah, check out the "Concealable" model.

http://www.productwizard.com/galco-holster-ccb.html
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I have Galco "Concealables" for a few of my carry guns, and I always carry OWB. I have high praise for the "Concealable" line of holsters.

The only other non-Galco leather holster that I have tried and liked is one for my Glock22 made by Jay-Pee.

I'm sure there are many other good quality OWB holsters that work, I just don't have any experience with them.
    FREEDOM MATTERS!

Links