Lefty with thumb break

Lefty with thumb break

This is a discussion on Lefty with thumb break within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm left handed and am looking to carry IWB behind my left hip or maybe small of the back. The main issue is that I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lefty with thumb break

I'm left handed and am looking to carry IWB behind my left hip or maybe small of the back. The main issue is that I only want to carry with a hoster that has a thumb break.

Is there a manufacturer that would have a good selection of lefty holsters with thumb breaks? Will i have to order a custom hoster?

looking at picking up a P2000SK or a PPS

thanks

-John

Lead Moderator
    Most makers make a LH holster. Many offer thumb break models. For a new model gun, LH might be a bit harder/longer to get though. I waited almost a year for a production holster in LH for my (then new design) HK USP.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Galco has a P2000sk lefty small of back in stock, but no thumb break. Could I ask them to custom add one? is that ever done?

Administrator
    A SOB holster w/ a thumb break will probably end up being more of a PITA than it's worth. Especially if you are going to be doing a lot of practice drawing and reholstering.
    You're going to end up cursing that thumb break.
    Trust me on that.

Take a look at the SOB2 by Horseshoe Leather in GB. It is so well boned to the firearm (and the leather is such high quality) that a retention strap is totally unnessary.

I'm sure that you can get it in a Lefty version since each holster is individually made to order. OR you might want to look at his SUB2 where the belt itself sort of acts as an added retention...though I have no personal experience with that model.

Anyway Here is the link to Horseshoe Leather Click Here

Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

At one time the Horseshoe Leather site said in no uncertain terms that he would not do left-handed holsters. He says now he'll do shoulder and certain IWB's in lefty.
    http://www.holsters.org/faq.htm#fifth
    Really nice looking rigs, anyway.
    What Would Gumby Do?

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    A SOB holster w/ a thumb break will probably end up being more of a PITA than it's worth. Especially if you are going to be doing a lot of practice drawing and reholstering.
    You're going to end up cursing that thumb break.

To me the thumb break is the most important aspect of the holster. I need to know that if i'm on my side, back, upside down or wrestling, the gun will stay in the holster.

It looks to me that No one has a holster for the walther pps in left or right. Shame, i really like that gun.

You can probably get a thumb break put on by a shoe repair shop. I'm a leftie and stupidly bought a right hand IWB with a belt clip. I took it to the local shoe repair shop, and he took it off and put it on the opposite side. Of course the holster, a Galco was symmetrical, both sides the same.

The shoe repair guy asked me about my gun. We had a long talk. It ended up with me selling him my Kel-Tec .380. He is applying for his CCWL and is now a range pal.

I seriously doubt that Galco will custom make a holster for you, they are a mass produce shop.
    Galco holsters are what I use to "get me by" until my custom leather comes in. As far as a Thumb Break, you may not need one if you have a custom holster. The "properly fitting" holster will retain the gun even upside down. The "trick" is in the boning and stitching. Custom holsters are tight, so much so that you often can't get the gun in them until you "break it in".
    If you want a "Thumb Break" or are required to have one due to agency policy, most mass produced holster makers make them in right and left hand versions for certain guns. For me it's harder to find leather because I too am left handed, but I carry a wheelie Off-Duty.
    If it's for concealed carry I would strongly urge you to not have/use a thumb break unless you are working "plainclothes" with a high probabilty of rolling around on the ground with a skel.

Biker

1943 - 2009
    Even though Galco is an off the shelf holster maker, they do have a custom shop.

Galco Custom Shop

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Administrator

Thumbs up The Galco Custom Shop Can Do Anything In Leather

Here is a link to the Galco Custom Shop
    http://www.usgalco.com/ShopAlbum.asp

You see that they really CAN do anything in leather.

New Member Array Punkin Chunker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jwsnydes View Post
    It looks to me that No one has a holster for the walther pps in left or right. Shame, i really like that gun.
    I'm with you there. It looks like I'll have to take an Uncle Mike's Super Belt Slide #1, cut out the stitching that forms the holster to the weapon, and re-stitch it to work for my PPS.

Galco's Custom Shop makes all their "exotic" (alligator, shark, ostrich, etc.) holsters and I think they make the Royal Deluxe too. If you want a holster that they don't offer in one of the standard colors for that model, they will make one and, if you want a left hand holster for a gun that they only offer right hand, they will make that too. However, they don't cut leather for holster/gun combinations that they don't already manufacture.

The only holster that I can think of that meets the IWB/thumb-break requirement is Bianchi's Model 3S. They offer one for the USP Compact and that should fit the P2000 quite nicely.

Packin' Heat Leather
    Galco & Bianchi Dealer
    McAllen, Texas USA

Quote Originally Posted by jwsnydes View Post
    Is there a manufacturer that would have a good selection of lefty holsters with thumb breaks? Will i have to order a custom hoster?
    To my knowledge, Galco, Bianchi, Uncle Mikes seem to have some in stock and ready to go, but generally not lefties. (Lefty, here.) Best I've found, in terms of turnaround time, is Fist. They do lefty for most of their designs, and a thumb break can be added to nearly all of them.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I like my Ted Blocker model 12. I don't know if they make it for your model though.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

+1 on Galco. I think you will definitely find what you need there. Or try Jim Murnak at FIST Holsters. I have oredered several things there with much satisfaction.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links