Drawing

Drawing

This is a discussion on Drawing within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi, I am looking for some drawing suggestions. I carry IWB at about 4-6 o'clock. I have heard how to draw from strong side, but ...

Thread: Drawing

Drawing

Hi, I am looking for some drawing suggestions. I carry IWB at about 4-6 o'clock. I have heard how to draw from strong side, but nothing really about drawing from small of back.
    Let me know if this is in the wrong location, and I will repost in the right forum.

Thanks for all the great help
    Happiness is a warm 9mm

Administrator
    It works much like the way you would draw at a 2 or 3 position... I'm not sure what your after here. You need to find what works for you.

I am not a big fan of carrying anything past 3... it puts your strong hand in a negative position when your attacker is likely already to close. Its to easy for the attacker to lock your hand down once you are in a negative position.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Lead Moderator
    Just practice over and over till it feels natural. I agree with Sixto , anything more than 3-4 o'clock is more difficult to effectively draw while up close and personal.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I am not a big fan of carrying anything past 3... it puts your strong hand in a negative position when your attacker is likely already to close. Its to easy for the attacker to lock your hand down once you are in a negative position.
    Ayoob made exactly that point on PDTV. He demonstrated a method of drawing from 4:00 that brought the elbow close to the body rather than the more normal outward. Of course, he makes everything look easy. Practice, practice, practice...

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    Ayoob made exactly that point on PDTV. He demonstrated a method of drawing from 4:00 that brought the elbow close to the body rather than the more normal outward. Of course, he makes everything look easy. Practice, practice, practice...
    Did he? Great minds really do think alike!
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    When drawing from the SOB position, you need to avoid the tendency to start bringing the muzzle forward before it has cleared your body. This is sometimes referred to as "sweeping your body".

Start by standing in front of a full length mirror with your unloaded holstered weapon and slowly draw, watching your muzzle through the draw. Have your off hand by or on your stomach ready to engage your shooting hand and weapon while still close to the body and before full presentation.

Do this over and over until you can develop a smooth presentation then work on your speed!

Practice practice practice!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Administrator
    Yep, pay close attention to not crossing your body. It can be done. You'll figure it out.

Small Of Back carry demands more cautious re-holstering also...for obvious reasons.

Just be careful and you'll do fine.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Thanks guys! It is difficult for me to carry concealed at 3. I am a girl and we have different curves than you boys
    Anyways, I think I will practice, practice and do some more practicing.
    Happiness is a warm 9mm

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KahrGirl View Post
    Thanks guys! It is difficult for me to carry concealed at 3. I am a girl and we have different curves than you boys
    Thank you Lord for those curves!

+1 QK, I should have mentiond re-holstering!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Assistant Administrator
    Another non-fan of much beyond 3.30 to 4.0 ........ but will say this ..... IMO if the rig is well canted (to suit you) and kept as close to 4.0 as feasable (as against beyond) then it should be possible to still expedite a smooth draw with practice.

My own judgement re chosen cant is concerning whether the web of the strong hand goes quickly, naturally and firmly onto and into the area of backstrap under beavertail. This is because IMO that part of the grip aquisition is vital - after which as the gun is presented the rest of the grip comes to hand consistently and firmly.

I have found that if this ''indexing'' stage of grip aquisition at start of draw is iffy and sloppy, then the gun will not be stable or, the same each time.

I think you have some experimentation and practice to go thru.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Links