Crossbreed holster review part 1.

This is a discussion on Crossbreed holster review part 1. within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I got home today to find that my new Crossbreed holster had arrived. It was ordered on7/10 and showed up on 8/10. Not bad. Certainly ...

Thread: Crossbreed holster review part 1.

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar

Crossbreed holster review part 1.

I got home today to find that my new Crossbreed holster had arrived. It was ordered on7/10 and showed up on 8/10. Not bad. Certainly acceptable.

Now let me say upfront that I usually carry a S&W 642 OWB. I am switching to carrying my S&W M&P9 with this rig. So there is going to be a big difference in size and weight. This is to be expected.

I haven't had much experience with IWB. I am 6'3 and 300lbs. OWB works well for me, but it means that I have to go untucked. There are times when I have the need to tuck in. Thought this may be a good solution.

First impressions.

The holster looks basic, but well made. The leather is natural in color and the edges have been trimmed down to a nice round edge. All the hardware looks nice and seems to be high quality.

My Super-Tuck came with two sets of clips. One set of C-hooks and one set of J-hooks. I noticed immediately that these hooks were nice and thick. When I picked them up I also noticed that the edges of these clips are really sharp. My first thought was that these were going to tear up my new gun belt.

The Kydex portion is well formed and all of the edges have been smoothed. No sharp edges here. I inserted my M&P9 and it slid right into place. Retention is just right. The gun slides in and out just as it should. Perfect.

My mind is still on the clips and I am not looking forward to getting my belt any where near them. I decide to remove the clips and run a sharp knife around the edges of the clips. This helps to round them over and take off the sharp edges. Not bad now, but I would still like to hit them with sandpaper and then give the edges a flame polish to really smooth them out.

So I reassemble the holster and try it on. First strong side at 3 o'clock. I have trouble getting this thing on from the start. It just isn't easy for me to get the holster down in to the waist line. The problem isn't my pants, they are already a bit oversized. This pair happens to have an adjustable waist. I think the problems are due to the holster being new and not broke in. This is to be expected.

I start out using the J-clips that come installed on the holster from the maker. It wasn't easy to get the holster on correctly. I had a problem getting the clips into place on my pants and belt. Again, this setup is new for me and is to be expected. After walking around a bit I notice that the weight of my pistol has pushed the J-clips down and off the belt. I readjusted and it happened again a few minutes later.

After giving the C-clips the similar edge treatment as the J-clips got I installed them and gave it another go. I like this setup better. It seems more solid. I did however have quite a time getting it adjusted and in the right position, but once it was there it stayed put and rides nicely.

The final position I chose was a forward cant at 4 o'clock. I would have rather had it at 3 o'clock, but the bulge looked huge with the holster in this position. I moved it to 4 and it rides better.

After getting the position settled I thought it was going to be impossible to get my shirt tucked in. My belt is cinched down and there is no chance of doing the old unbutton, unzip and tuck method. I do finally get tucked in and to my amazement the bulge disappears. My waist line looks normal. No sign of anything other than the two C-clips showing on my belt.

OK score one for the home team.

Final thoughts.

Right now I am comfortable with the quality of this holster. It looks good seems to function well and is very comfortable to wear. I am wearing a full sized M&P9 while sitting on the couch typing this. I don't feel any bulges, points or sharp edges.

I am a bit concerned that I felt it was necessary to modify the clips to keep from tearing up my belt. I realize that these holsters are produced in a small shop and maybe there isn't time to sort out details like this.

This is where the review ends for now. The plan is to try out the holster for the next couple of days. I will report back with the results.
    Attached Images
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

2. Remove Ads

your clips will "V" in a bit, and make it easier to put on. also, give the leather a chance to conform.

it took me a bit of practice, but i can put them on now very easily without unbuttoning my pants. i've got 3 of these things (2x SOB, 1xIWB)
    War is not the ugliest of things. Worse is the decayed state of moral feeling which thinks nothing is worth a war. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which he cares for more than his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free. -J.S. Mill

I have a SuperTucker for my PM9, and so far I'm very pleased.
    Yo Macklin, great party, but no whiskey. We go home now.

Senior Moderator
    Looks Nice, I really like tuckables
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by phaed View Post
    your clips will "V" in a bit, and make it easier to put on. also, give the leather a chance to conform.

it took me a bit of practice, but i can put them on now very easily without unbuttoning my pants. i've got 3 of these things (2x SOB, 1xIWB)
    Yea, today went a little smoother. I expect a breaking in period for the holster and myself will have to take place.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

I would expect the clips were bought from CTac as most of them are they are pretty sharp from the factory

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud White View Post
    I would expect the clips were bought from CTac as most of them are they are pretty sharp from the factory
    Actually, our holsters are 100% made by us. We do not buy anything from anybody else except the basic hardware such as the screws.

As to the edges of the clips, we have been pushing pretty hard lately and I will get with our clip guy and make sure we are smoothing the edges. We don't polish them but they should be finished enough to remove any sharp edges.

We are also working to bring out a new style clip which will be a "snap over" style combining the security of the loop clip and the convenience of the j-hook.

I will probably complete the die templates for these this week and have dies for them back by the end of the month.

thanks 'fer listenin'
    Mark Craighead
    Owner/Founder
    CrossBreed Holsters LLC
    http://www.crossbreedholsters.com

Hey Mark! Welcome to the forum. I'm the guy who wrote you about this place after I ordered a Super Tuck Deluxe for my Sig P226R. I guess I'll be getting that shortly. I do hope the edges of the "J" hooks on my gun will have been smoothed! Currently I carry a M642 in a Mika pocket holster and while that is superbly comfortable....it's not really "comforting." I'd feel a whole lot better if I could carry my Sig Blackwater all the time but in the Miami heat and humidity that's just not been possible.

BIG E, I look forward to your part II of this review. Do you find that it's necessary to wear an undershirt so the the holster doesn't chafe the skin?
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I have now found my carry spot. Moved the belt clips to the very top holes of the holster. This allows the holster/gun to ride a little lower in the waist band - which in turn keeps the grip a little closer to the body. I wear it at 4 O'clock with the oval clips - the J clips just allow the gun to weight the pants down & I do not like C clips - the top always pops - or the belt pops out of the top part of the C clip. Since I have found my sweet spot - I just "assemble" my rig to my pants along with belt and then pull them on. This works well to alleviate all the twisting and pulling. I am wondering how Velcro clips would work? Anyone with these care to comment?

Quote Originally Posted by FlyboyLDB View Post
    I have now found my carry spot. Moved the belt clips to the very top holes of the holster. This allows the holster/gun to ride a little lower in the waist band - which in turn keeps the grip a little closer to the body. I wear it at 4 O'clock with the oval clips - the J clips just allow the gun to weight the pants down & I do not like C clips - the top always pops - or the belt pops out of the top part of the C clip. Since I have found my sweet spot - I just "assemble" my rig to my pants along with belt and then pull them on. This works well to alleviate all the twisting and pulling. I am wondering how Velcro clips would work? Anyone with these care to comment?
    Exactly what I am doing except now I am using the oval (fully enclosed) clips and assembling before donning my pants. I have also found that if you holster your weapon and then loosen your belt a bit you can get a nice tuck job. I just tighten my belt after all is tucked in and smoothed.

I can already see that it is going to take some practice drawing from a tucked position. With my belt cinched it makes it harder to pull the shirt out of the waistband. Not at all like clearing an untucked cover shirt.

I wore the rig all day again today untucked and it felt and rode real nice. I have notice some of the black hardware losing the color and bleeding all over the leather on the back of the holster. I am assuming that this is due to body contact with the metal components. No black transfered to my skin.

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    BIG E, I look forward to your part II of this review. Do you find that it's necessary to wear an undershirt so the the holster doesn't chafe the skin?
    No I'm not wearing and under shirt. I haven't really been a fan of a second shirt. I get hot as all get out with one shirt.

An under shirt would probably help the the discoloring metal problem. Well I say problem, but it really isn't a problem. It's on the back and it's not transferring to me or my clothes.

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Links