CCW and car seats

CCW and car seats

This is a discussion on CCW and car seats within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a Toyota 4Runner that is killing me when I CCW. The seats have such deep side bolsters that I can't carry anything larger ...

Thread: CCW and car seats

CCW and car seats

I have a Toyota 4Runner that is killing me when I CCW. The seats have such deep side bolsters that I can't carry anything larger than a P32 on my hip unless the gun is forward of my hipbone. Part of the problem may be my holster selection. I carry a Kahr K9 in a RafterS Gunleather holster. It's a high riding OWB holster with no cant. I also carry a S&W 36 in a Hume JIT holster. This is more doable, but still uncomfortable for longer than half an hour. Finally, I have a P32 that I carry in a Backwoods Leather belt slide. This is the only comfortable rig for this vehicle.

My main concern is the K9. Would a pancake holster with more cant work better? Or should I just resign myself to unholstering the gun while in the 4Runner? Do you guys have problems with deep seats and CCW?

Thanks,
    Chris

I wonder if a seat cover with seat-area you could really cinch down might help?

I don't follow. The existing covers are tight to the seat, it's just that the seats are deeply bolstered (bolsters being that part that "wraps around your sides).

Chris

Assistant Administrator
    Accessability is a major problem in some vehicles - and yours sounds very awkward. To be honest, in such a situation I'd seriously consider going to a sho rig - something like my (now little used) Bianchi X-15 front break.

Or - find an OWB with a bunch of fwd cant - I prefer plenty of cant anyways.

In my Silverado - the seats fortunately have no major amount of bolster - and I find that if I belt up having freed my shirt or vest (so it is over top of belt), then altho over time the grips do create some pressure - it is bearable and - by staying at 3 o'clock - I can get a halfways decent draw, even belted.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I drive a full size GMC Yukon. The seats have plenty of bolster. I usually carry IWB but occasionally carry my primary CCW, a 5" 1911 OWB in a Def-Con holster from Gary Brommeland. It has a lot of cant and is totally comfortable while driving or any time. This may be the right holster to solve your discomfort. Good luck.

Yep...my 350Z has plenty of bolster also. Forward cant at about 3:00 is the best comfort I can get with my OWB. Even then, there's times it digs into my spare tire, so I just remove it from the holster.

Kimber Ultra CDP Elite STS II

A gun is a tool...the real weapon is between your ears!

I have a Safepacker holster by Tactical Wilderness that does well in this situation. It allows me to carry a full-size service pistol (SIG P226ST) in a car with bucket seats, with comfort. Not for everyone, but you might want to check it out. I originally got the holster for a specific application, but found it works well for some travel.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr
    I don't follow. The existing covers are tight to the seat, it's just that the seats are deeply bolstered (bolsters being that part that "wraps around your sides).

Chris
    Sorry, Chris, I was thinking about after-market (unless you've already got them), that you could pull really tight, kinda like a sausage wrap- compress the foam even more. Cross-draw or paddle might be the best overall option, though......

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    Id either recommend a solid cross draw holster or a highly canted holster @ 3.00 like mentioned before. The CD would give you better access but may not conceal as well as the other once your outside of your car.
    Heres a pic of one of my customers who does the FBI cant IWB at 3.00 with his commander. Just for reference..........

Shoot well...........
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

DC Founder
    Cant is your friend. If your holster does not have cant, it's not likely you will have comfort, IMO. Try a different holster which has a good cant and see if that helps.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Administrator

Suggestion:

Well, for extended car carry you could switch to a shoulder rig with a nice wide "over the shoulder" strap. The transition is really not that much of a problem if you practice drawing with both Shoulder & Waist carry locations.
    If you want to stay with carry at the waist then (as above) more cant and LESS actual HANDLE on the firearm really helps.
    You could consider switching over to a Glock 36 ~ a reliable Officers Model or a Detonics Combat Master for extended vehicle excursions.

"If you're going to shoot then shoot-don't talk" Eli Wallach-"The Good,The Bad, and the Ugly"

I'm going to try a new holster. I like the RafterS, but after wearing it for a couple months, it's apparent that it's not the best for CCW, at least for me. Krang, I saw that holster the other day. It definately looks interesting, but I'm not sure if it's 100% kosher under Va law. IIRC, in Va, the gun has to be on your body, out in plain sight on a seat or dash, or locked in the trunk.

Chris

It'll bolt in the trunk as well. Every state is different on their carry methods. Thanks for the update.
    "If you're going to shoot then shoot-don't talk" Eli Wallach-"The Good,The Bad, and the Ugly"

Links