What is the best leather iwb holster for a SW 642?

This is a discussion on What is the best leather iwb holster for a SW 642? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am open to FBI cant, tuckable, ect. I would like to know my best options for an iwb holster. I pocket carry mine alot ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is the best leather iwb holster for a SW 642?

What is the best leather iwb holster for a SW 642?

I am open to FBI cant, tuckable, ect. I would like to know my best options for an iwb holster.

I pocket carry mine alot now during the summer but during the winter I will be wearing jeans but it prints pretty clearly in jeans. Plus I just want to buy something cool for my gun.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    If you’re going to start another holster drawer for IWB’s, make it capacious. A good belt is still an important part. The semi-autos lend themselves to IWB due to their lack of a cylinder bulge. The revolver you mentioned is favored by students as a BUG in a pocket holster, because it won’t print as much, the trigger guard is covered, and the butt is better positioned.

You can try an inexpensive Uncle Mikes IWB, but the belt clip is centered, adding to the overall width of the rig. Offset attachments are more balanced. For my Colt Combat Commander and Kimber Ultra CDP, I use Mitch Rosen’s thin ARG, Milt Sparks’ Versa Max II, and anticipate Gary Brommeland’s Max Con V to be one of the best. Comp Tac’s kydex CTAC is fast and comfortable. Mark Craighead’s new Crossbreed Deluxe Tuckable uses leather against the body with a form fitted kydex sleeve for the gun. It is cant adjustable, like the CTAC, and one of my favorites.

The holster page on gunthorp.com shows pictures and gives links to these and more.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

VIP Member
    [/IMG]

[/IMG]

Can't go wrong with the Tucker "cover up for J Frame". It took 18 weeks to get this bad boy, but I am very happy with it. It is so comfy, I get home and forget I even have it on. If you're in a hurry, look somewhere else like Fist, they're only about 7 weeks and have excellent holsters. Just be sure you have a good belt or the best holster in the world won't be good enough.

To me a J-Frame belongs on the ankle or in the pocket, not IWB.
    If you do decide to carry a J-Frame IWB there are some good holster makers out there.
    Off the top of my head I would have to say Matt Del Fatti is the "benchmark" for revolver holsters. Order the Del Fatti with a matching belt and be prepared to wait two years, it will be worth it. Personally I would get a bigger gun. I carry a 4" N-Frame and a J-Frame at the same time Off-Duty.

Biker

The IWB from Concealco I've found to be an excellent holster for my SP101, so it should work with your snubby as well.. Flared top edge for easy reholstering, front and rear belt loops to evenly distribute the weight plus secure it in position, also with snaps, it is easy on and off. I found it very comfortable as well.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    If you do decide to carry a J-Frame IWB there are some good holster makers out there.
    Off the top of my head I would have to say Matt Del Fatti is the "benchmark" for revolver holsters. Order the Del Fatti with a matching belt and be prepared to wait two years, it will be worth it. Personally I would get a bigger gun. I carry a 4" N-Frame and a J-Frame at the same time Off-Duty.

Biker
    A j frame "belongs" on the ankel or in the pocket, not IWB?
    I carry a 642 IWB and OWB all the time. I feel ankle carry is more "deep concealment", pocket is hard to get a good grip at a fast nervous draw. A 642 works great as IWB or OWB. I prefer it over any other way to carry it.

Here's an older picture of my 642 in a locally-made tuckable. Also have a 640 with the same holster but with a single belt loop instead of the clip. Very comfortable to wear either tucked or untucked. If fact it was the first and only holster I have for my j-frames!
    His contact info is on the web site, better to just give him a call to work out what you want and what it will cost.
    http://www.cuttscustomleather.com

I carry a J Frame in a IWB holster...a Crossbreed Qwikclip, and its very very comfy, sometimes I forget its there.
    Better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6

Aviation Machinist's Mate USN 93-97
    NAF Atsugi, Japan CVW 5
    CV62 USS Independence
    HS-12 Wyverns, VS-21 Fighting Redtails

GOOD GOD!

These wait times are insane! I am generation Y....we don't wait more than 2 weeks for anything.

I need this in 4 weeks or less preferably...

This looks like what I need but its a bagillion dollars (okay its $165 but thats close to a bagillion)

This is aMitch Rosen Workman.

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    Personally, I hate pocket carry...a j-frame in my pocket is just too bulky no matter what the weight..if I wear loose cargo pants, I feel the gun banging against my leg as I walk...if I wear regular jeans, it looks like I have a tumor on my leg...for IWB I like the Del Fatti ISP-DD...thin horsehide, offset clip, can be had with a j-hook and not sure but probably even a snap strap...all you need in a j-frame rig, nothing you don't. The clip works best with a thin dress belt for more security but can be worn without a belt...

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post

Biker
    While I agree almost completely with you that it belongs on my ankle or in my pocket it just isnt' feasible and I love this little gun. I can't carry my larger guns because they would be too noticeable (read: unconcealable) and I don't have the money to buy a smaller pistol atm. It prints too much for my liking in my pocket when wearing jeans. Where I will be carrying, this is unacceptable. So, that leaves me with a few other options: deep concealment or iwb/owb. OWB is out because of concealability. Deep concealment is out because I know I won't wear anything (everyday) that would be considered "deep concealment". Ankle is out because of the clothes I wear and what I will be doing all day.

So I have settled on IWB. I can and will carry it in my pocket whenever feasible but its just NOT feasible for me with jeans.

I use a Concealco IWB for my J Frame 640. Very comfortable and secure, and as part of their readyline series of holsters it can be received quite quickly. Mine came two weeks after order.

For information on getting your CCW License in California please visit CalCCW.

Quote Originally Posted by LoveLeather View Post
    Del Fatti ISP-DD...thin horsehide, offset clip, can be had with a j-hook and not sure but probably even a snap strap...all you need in a j-frame rig, nothing you don't. The clip works best with a thin dress belt for more security but can be worn without a belt...

Looks nice, but how long did it take before you go that?

Am I looking at 6+ weeks for ALL leather holsters?

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kavity View Post
    Looks nice, but how long did it take before you go that?

Am I looking at 6+ weeks for ALL leather holsters?
    I think you better sit down.....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links