Alright holster trying time

This is a discussion on Alright holster trying time within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok so I'm gonna start the holster buying and trying time so let's hear some recommendations on where to start please for my Glock 23 ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Alright holster trying time

Ok so I'm gonna start the holster buying and trying time so let's hear some recommendations on where to start please for my Glock 23 and for the 3-5 carry position IWB. My plan is to buy a holster 1 at a time try it and if it works and I like it keep it and stop if it doesn't return and buy another to try. I'd rather not spend $500 on 4 or 5 holsters at one time and try them all at once and have to hurry up and rush them back because of return deadlines and not get to give them a real good week or so wear and try so I figure anyway one at a time is my best option? Anyway I've looked at Galco Kingtuk and tuck-in-go, Crossbreed supertuck and mini tuck, Raven morrigan and phantom and eidolon, Comp-tac CTAC and MTAC, and the N82 pro tandem. All these I've just looked at online haven't personally tried any yet. What I'm looking for is something that will hold the gun tight to me so it will minimize printing of the grip and slide as much as possible, something I can wear when it's 30 degrees outside but also be doable when it's 90 degrees and humid, something where I can adjust the can't on them myself to maybe find more comfort and print reduction, something that would be comfortable being worn 8-10 hours a day with sitting and standing both, and something with some deeper concealment to also reduce grip and slide printing. My main concerns are print reduction and all day comfort. I know fit of clothes helps with print reduction a lot but holsters also can. I also know what holster works for you may not work for me I just looking for a good starting point here maybe for holsters the majority likes. I'm 6'1 and about 197 pounds if that makes any difference

VIP Member
    This is a tough one. Lots of people like hybrids. I hate them.

Others like minimalist, while I like pancake.

Some like metal clips. I prefer leather loops.

Many swear by leather. I prefer kydex.

Good luck on your endeavors.
    ShooterGranny, OD* and Taurahe like this.
    “I can explain it to you, but I can't comprehend it for you.”

Ed Koch

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    This is a tough one. Lots of people like hybrids. I hate them.

Others like minimalist, while I like pancake.

Some like metal clips. I prefer leather loops.

Many swear by leather. I prefer kydex.

Good luck on your endeavors.
    I knew this would be hard to answer as there's just so many options and so many body types. I was just hoping fingers crossed people would see what I'm most looking for in a holster and would be able to say something like "well for what your looking for I see the majority likes or I personally like this, this, and this holster" I know possible wishful thinking but. All I'm looking for is just a good 1 or 2 holsters to start with, maybe most used or common or recommended holster just to give me a good start point.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
    I knew this would be hard to answer as there's just so many options and so many body types. I was just hoping fingers crossed people would see what I'm most looking for in a holster and would be able to say something like "well for what your looking for I see the majority likes or I personally like this, this, and this holster" I know possible wishful thinking but. All I'm looking for is just a good 1 or 2 holsters to start with, maybe most used or common or recommended holster just to give me a good start point.
    Fair enough. Here is the first holster I ever loved. The vid may at least give you some idea of what you are or are not looking for:

AndyC likes this.
    “I can explain it to you, but I can't comprehend it for you.”

Ed Koch

Don't forget a good gun belt. Very helpfull for pulling the holster in properly.
    GR, Havok and Taurahe like this.
    There's only one way to get to heaven. John 14:6

GR
    ^^Start with a gun belt. It's crucial in my opinion.
    I would also buy several at once, try them and then decide.
    In the end the one you might dislike in the begining might turn out best after you try the other ones.
    That's what I did. Got myself Alien Gear, White Hat and Stealth Gear.
    At this point Alien was sent back simply because it was to big for me.
    The other two are close so I'm giving them few more days.

Quote Originally Posted by sammeow View Post
    Don't forget a good gun belt. Very helpfull for pulling the holster in properly.
    Planning to order a 14oz steel core leather Bigfoot gun belt for starters then when it gets here start the holster search

Ordered this about an hour ago. It's the "Sidewinder". Have been looking for a kydex OWB holster that rides high, has the sweat guard and "concealed" for an OWB. This has all of those things, hopefully. Lots of good reviews. Will see in a couple months when it comes in. $60 plus shipping. Many colors to pick from if you like. Sorry, just reread your post and missed the IWB the first time.

Alright holster trying time-sidewinder-holster-2.jpg
    Last edited by johndp1911; January 12th, 2017 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Missed "IWB" in OP
    "It's always good to be underestimated" - Donald Trump

From my experience I would immediately narrow the field to two and choose the one that wears best...

Milt Sparks VM2 - pricey but your search will probably end here
    Alien Gear Cloak Tuck - not pricey - well worth a try

Quote Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
    Ok so I'm gonna start the holster buying and trying time so let's hear some recommendations on where to start please for my Glock 23 and for the 3-5 carry position IWB. My plan is to buy a holster 1 at a time try it and if it works and I like it keep it and stop if it doesn't return and buy another to try. I'd rather not spend $500 on 4 or 5 holsters at one time and try them all at once and have to hurry up and rush them back because of return deadlines and not get to give them a real good week or so wear and try so I figure anyway one at a time is my best option? Anyway I've looked at Galco Kingtuk and tuck-in-go, Crossbreed supertuck and mini tuck, Raven morrigan and phantom and eidolon, Comp-tac CTAC and MTAC, and the N82 pro tandem. All these I've just looked at online haven't personally tried any yet. What I'm looking for is something that will hold the gun tight to me so it will minimize printing of the grip and slide as much as possible, something I can wear when it's 30 degrees outside but also be doable when it's 90 degrees and humid, something where I can adjust the can't on them myself to maybe find more comfort and print reduction, something that would be comfortable being worn 8-10 hours a day with sitting and standing both, and something with some deeper concealment to also reduce grip and slide printing. My main concerns are print reduction and all day comfort. I know fit of clothes helps with print reduction a lot but holsters also can. I also know what holster works for you may not work for me I just looking for a good starting point here maybe for holsters the majority likes. I'm 6'1 and about 197 pounds if that makes any difference
    Couple things you left out of your list and specifications:

- Do you need to be able to tuck your shirt tale in?
    If so, your holster needs to have the "tuckable" option.

- What type of clothing will you be wearing daily while carrying? Dress, casual or uniform?
    Depending on the size of the pistol and the type of holster you may need to have a larger waist pants. If its a uniform or dress clothing consider the need to have to easily dress and undress for bathroom breaks and getting the rig back into place.

It is my opinion that a hybrid holster makes some things a bit easier. A hybrid has leather inner for flex and comfort against skin and the kydex keeps the holster open for easy insertion of the muzzle for re-holstering. Leather usually will collapse and necessitates removal of the entire holster to get the gun back in its place.

Hybrids also seem to better spread the weight of the rig out over a larger area of the belt/waist which aids in support comfort. Usually the hybrids also have adjustable clips that make it easy to adjust the cant position. Kydex/plastic holsters usually have this feature also.

Deeper concealment is not always necessary to hide the gun. I find it easier to conceal with a high ride holster so the gun butt kind of fits into the area under my rib cage and just over my waist. The deeper it goes the more it rides against a bone somewhere.

The first holster I really liked was the CompTac M-Tac Minotaur. Available with horsehide inner layer for sweat protection and comfort, has a lot of adjustment to the clips, it isn't so wide that it wraps entirely around your front to back, you can change the kydex shell to accept other guns, adjustable retention and awesome warranty.
    AndyC likes this.
    "Engage your brain before you engage your weapon" - James "Mad Dawg" Mattis

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    Couple things you left out of your list and specifications:

- Do you need to be able to tuck your shirt tale in?
    If so, your holster needs to have the "tuckable" option.

- What type of clothing will you be wearing daily while carrying? Dress, casual or uniform?
    Depending on the size of the pistol and the type of holster you may need to have a larger waist pants. If its a uniform or dress clothing consider the need to have to easily dress and undress for bathroom breaks and getting the rig back into place.

It is my opinion that a hybrid holster makes some things a bit easier. A hybrid has leather inner for flex and comfort against skin and the kydex keeps the holster open for easy insertion of the muzzle for re-holstering. Leather usually will collapse and necessitates removal of the entire holster to get the gun back in its place.

Hybrids also seem to better spread the weight of the rig out over a larger area of the belt/waist which aids in support comfort. Usually the hybrids also have adjustable clips that make it easy to adjust the cant position. Kydex/plastic holsters usually have this feature also.

Deeper concealment is not always necessary to hide the gun. I find it easier to conceal with a high ride holster so the gun butt kind of fits into the area under my rib cage and just over my waist. The deeper it goes the more it rides against a bone somewhere.

The first holster I really liked was the CompTac M-Tac Minotaur. Available with horsehide inner layer for sweat protection and comfort, has a lot of adjustment to the clips, it isn't so wide that it wraps entirely around your front to back, you can change the kydex shell to accept other guns, adjustable retention and awesome warranty.
    As far as tucking in that will be a very very very rare occurrence, and the clothes I wear it'll be t-shirts or 3 button polo shirts. I'd say 80% t shirts and 20% polo shirts. It'll be about 65-70% jeans the rest of the % will be khaki cargo shorts

+1 for the MTAC. Super adjustable, very comfortable.

I'm intrigued by the Stealthgear VentCore. I'm planning a P2000 purchase and will likely get a VentCore mini and a Comp-Tac Infidel deluxe to try with it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Distinguished Member Array Havok's Avatar
    Here is a list of my holsters in order of favorites

Aliengear 3.0
    Galco Kingtc k
    Galco Leather IWB
    2Aholster (kydex)
    Crossbreed supertuck
    Comptac Mtac

The MTAC quickly became a paperweight. It sucks. The leather galco holster replaced the MTAC as my 1911 holster, but since I dont really carry my 1911, it just sits, although its a very nice holster. The crossbreed supertuck is not even comparable to my aliengear, or galco kingtuck. The aliengear is the most comfortable of the 4 hybrid holsters, but the galco seems to be better made, although I have no issues with the durability of my aliengear. I wouldnt even consider another crossbreed as long as those two companies exist unless they step their game up. The kydex holster from 2Aholster is a nice holster. I use that for my G43. Its slim and has a lot of adjustability if you like those types of holsters.
    Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    The only thing you can have too much of is liberals.

1:Galco Summer Comfort IWB
    2: Galco Ankle Glove...both for the snub
    3: Kusiak Leather canted for the BG .380. Nicely done. Not your conventional stitched leather holster but well made. Its molded and glued together. I cant say how long it will last IWB but for 45 bucks it is nice.
    4: Desantis sof tuck. Junk
    5: Desantis inside heat. Well made sort of. the clip flops around and it is a pain to put on and off. I'm not crazy for it.

+1 on the Alien Gear 3.0 Cloak Tuck. My favorite IWB. I use it for my Ruger SR9c and LC9s both. Along with a decent gun belt, it pulls in nice and snug, easy to conceal under a T-shirt or even a tucked in Polo.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links