Defensive Carry banner

Gary in hospital

12K views 137 replies 108 participants last post by  f8lranger4x4 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone,

This is Remy, Gary's wife. I just wanted to let you all know that Gary was admitted to the hospital this afternoon. He has a DVT (blood clot) and stress induced hypertension and high blood sugar. We knew his blood pressure was too high, but I didn't realize that stress could also cause elevated blood sugar. And apparently standing at the bench for 12 or more hours at a stretch, 5-6 days a week isn't good for you - who knew!

We started our adventure at the hospital nearest our home, but after poking, prodding and drawing enough blood to take a bath, they transfered him to a larger hospital where they continued where they had left off. It has been a lovely day...

They pumped him full of some new and improved wonder drugs, but we won't know how long they are keeping him hostage until after a battery of tests and ultrasounds tomorrow. I'll keep you posted. Thanks so much, Remy

#58 ·
Well, I just off the phone with Gary in his room at the hospital. He seemed in good spirits and his usual self. Hopefully he'll be out in a day or two.
Remy, I recommended to him he get some anti-fatigue mats for the shop floor. They really do help, so you may want to see to it that he does.
As a side note, for those of you unaware how serious a blood-clot can be; this is exactly how legendary holster-maker Bruce Nelson passed away.

#59 ·
WOW! Life is all fun and games until a blood clot or someone get's an eye poked out!

Yoga anyone? Let's say it all together now, Hummmm (short pause) Hummmm (short pause) Hummmm............:bier:

Get well soon, Gary!:hand36:

Ti

#60 ·
Glad to hear Gary is doing better. Prayers sent.

#62 ·
I just signed on and saw this thread for the first time. Remy, you and the family have our best wishes for a speedy recovery. Please don't hesitate to call if there's anything we can do to help, you've got our number.

I'm really hoping you can convince him to take a little vacation when he's back on his feet, even if it's just a weekend somewhere to relax and decompress.
Jack

#70 ·
I haven't been on the forum for awhile. I'm so sorry to hear about Gary. God bless and a speedy recovery.

#72 ·
Thank you all so much - I am overwhelmed! As Mark mentioned, Gary is doing well (okay, he's bored....very VERY bored!) An ultrasound this morning revealed that the blood clot in his leg extends from below his knee to his groin. I peeked at his chart when they took him for a CT scan to make sure it wasn't a mistake. On a more cheerful note, the Doc says that if he lives thru the first 24 hours of treatment, there probably won't be any further complications. So he feels just fine, and we are hanging out waiting to see if the heparin causes an embolism. Life is weird sometimes.

Gary has about convinced the Doc that he can give himself the heparin injections, so if nothing else comes up they may kick him loose tomorrow afternoon. They are still running him thru the wringer, though. We left the hospital about 7:00, and he had more appointments and tests scheduled for this evening. He will be on bedrest when he gets home, but I don't know for how long - I think I will get the Doc's version rather than Gary's....

I'm thinking of some ways to get back at him. First thing this morning, he tells me that everything is fine, they are just waiting to see if he dies today. And this evening when I kissed him goodbye, he rolled his eyes up in his head and started twitching all over. I almost screamed and passed out simultaneously while he just rolled in the bed laughing. I abruptly lost all sympathy for how many times he has been stuck today (16 and counting!) A bored, bedridden Gary :eek:

Of course, I do all the cooking....:devil:

#73 ·
I just want to udder my well wishes, too! And don't go gettin' hooked on that cable TV thing, now, y'hear?! The'll be moovin' yer pressure down, fixin' yer sugga up, and hoofin' yer butt outta thar in no time! Trubble's waitin' fer ya t'home, man, an' ya' betta star lernin' t'mind th'misses wha' wid th'veggies n'fruits n' countin' thems call o'reys n' such! An if'n yous star a makin' da fuss, she gonna be tannin' yo sweet hide, yo' see!

Attachments

#79 ·
Wishing you all the best and a speedy recovery, Gary. Thanks for the updates, Remy. Be careful what you ask him before he comes out of the sodium pentathol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.