Smart Carry inbound

Smart Carry inbound

This is a discussion on Smart Carry inbound within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I ordered a Smart Carry for my Kahr CW9. I have spent the last week or two since I bought the pistol experimenting with ways ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smart Carry inbound

I ordered a Smart Carry for my Kahr CW9. I have spent the last week or two since I bought the pistol experimenting with ways to carry it. I am about 5-10 and slender. I wear dress-casual clothes to work. Slacks and a dress shirt. A jacker or vest would be out of place, and hot in the summer (its 102 here in Kansas City today!) About my only options were tuckable IWB, bellyband, or ankle rig (ugh).

A strong side tuckable IWB was my first inclination. I have a old Uncle Mikes fabric pancake OWB holster that fit the Kahr OK, so I tried it in various positions just slid under my waistband. I couldn't find a spot where it was comfortable and also didn't print. I also tried Mexican carry just to see if it was the holster, but I had the same problem.

Then I slipped the holster on an extra belt and simulated a smart carry style holster. This was much more comfortable. The weight (not much really) was distributed and the holster didn't press against my hip. My mock-up didn't work too well for sitting, but it isn't flexible like the denim Smart Carry will be. Actually sitting was too bad, but sitting down forced me to "adjust" things as I was sitting. I think the more flexible holster will work better for this.

The muzzle of the gun doesn't actually cover your groin, so you don't have to worry about "shooting it off". When sitting the muzzle will cover the area in front on you and the floor farther out. Because I am fairly slender I can actually perform a fairly quick single hand draw by sucking in my stomach. With the tuckable IWB, it is either two hands or two motions with one hand to draw the gun.

I am looking forward to trying it out. There are certainly a lot of messages from satisfied customers on their website.

Assistant Administrator
    Mine is kept almost exclusively for the most urgent of concealment needs - not often.

But - once you get the hang of ''manipulating'' for certain necessary operations it does have IMO a valuable place in carry options. I have some degree of ''spare real estate'' out front but high up - not the ''overhanging belt'' variety and like you can do a ''suck in of belly'' to ease access if needed.

Needless to say draw cannot be as fast as we might like but - that is trumped by at least having the piece there, on the person.

Charlie has I believe carried his 1911 full size all the years he has been making and selling these SmartCarry rigs. Just now and again I am real glad I have mine to fall back on when all else can't work.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Keep us updated. I may have to get one.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

I received my smart carry last week. My CCHL hasn't come back yet so I've only worn it around the house/property.

I use mine to carry a Glock 27 (40 S&W) with Pearce pinky extension + one extra Glock 22 mag (15 round). I like it! No, it's not the speediest access, but it conceals very well and I think I'd have to be unconscious to be disarmed while carrying in this rig.

I also have the Clip Draw, but it rides a bit too high for my body type (bit of a spare tire) and prints.

So far, the speediest, most concealable method I have found is Mexican carry, but the Smart Carry is how I plan to carry in public most of the time.

For the past 16 months or so, I have worn a Smart Carry from 6 AM until 9 PM daily (more or less). First with a PPK/S then a larger holster for a Hi-Power 9mm, now with a S&W 642/CT. FWIW

VIP Member
    P95... what he said
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

I've had mine for a couple weeks and love it. It is my new first choice for CCW. I carry either G30 or Sig P239. The trick is having a t-shirt or other shirt to hang over your belt to cover the tell-tale bulge. Otherwise it is a very concealed carry option.

I have not tried one yet but have cracked myself up thinking about having to draw from it.

"This guy first stuck his hands down his pants, we had no idea what he was playing with. Then a gun came out and he stopped the threat. I think he has some brain issues or is a magician."

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Fastwaker View Post
    I have not tried one yet but have cracked myself up thinking about having to draw from it.
    If you're old enough to remember "Blazing Saddles",

"Pardon me while I whip this out!"

Come to think of it that is an excellent point. No bad guy is going to expect you to pull a gun from there. If you go for your 4 o'clock, he's thinking "gun!". If you reach down your pants his thinking "***?". Might just buy you an extra second on the response.

I have a Smartcarry and it is my primary holster for my PPK. It is comfortable and absolutely invisible. I don't think it would work with really tight trousers though. It is not a quick draw so you really have to be aware of your surroundings. It is kind of cute though when my wife gives me a hug and murmers the old line about "are you glad to see me or is that a gun in your pocket".
    As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15

I've been using my Smart Carry almost exclusively since I got it 2 months ago. The problem with pants being too snug is not so much a matter of printing as it is being able to draw quickly. If I do print a little its only because I'm really trying to find a "tell tale bulge." Most people wouldn't notice and I camouflage it with my cell phone. Shirt tale left out also covers the printing. With running shorts or swim trunks it's great.

I've been carrying with a SmartCarry in loose fitting blue jeans (Wrangler Relaxed Fit Cowboy Cut) for a couple of months and absolutely no one has noticed. It is an exceptional way to conceal in my opinion.

Senior Moderator
    I've been using Smartcarry 5 days a week for over a year.

I highly recommend it.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I've used it too; it is an excellent option; I used mine with a Keltec P3AT; it's good for hot summer days and tucked dress shirts/pants. I tried it with a J frame but that "bulge", (cylinder that is) was a bit more pronounced than I was comfortable although I don't think anyone else would have noticed. there can be a small bump where the end of the grip is but again, it's more noticeable to you than anyone else. I didn't like mine for driving. Thicker, looser pants are more comfortable.

Be careful in the bathrooms at stores too

They definitely have their place in our carry line up.

God Bless
    Gideon

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    I use my smart carry alot in the summer and really like it. I carry a 642 or a pt140 mostly. very comfortable and convenient...I don't think you will be disappointed.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links