Garrity turn- around

This is a discussion on Garrity turn- around within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm very happy with my Incognito Deluxe - top quality! Mag pouches too - excellent! Austin...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Garrity turn- around

I'm very happy with my Incognito Deluxe - top quality! Mag pouches too - excellent!

Austin

2. Remove Ads

What was the wait time? When did you order?

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    I have the Triskel & it is NICE. I'll admit I bought it from someone else & didn't have to wait, or pay the full price. But, from what I've seen & have, his work is excellent.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

I think I waited a few months...maybe a little less. This was last winter though - I think he's still suffering from the supply problem thats been on this forum for the past 6 months or so. Plus it might have helped that I hounded him and personally drove my gun down to Tempe for him to do the moulding and boning on it... It was a one-off deal for my Baer Monolith.

Austin

dimmak wrote:

Ordered an Incognito Deluxe last November and still waiting......
    Well, I don't want to discourage you too badly, but I'm waiting on an InCognito ordered in mid-summer 2006.

Don't know if that icon fits or not, but it's adorable - had to use it finally.

It is, on second thought, somewhat representative of my resignation at this point .

does anyone have any pics of his work. i wld like to see a couple pics.
    “Do you have any idea how hard it would be to live with yourself if your loved ones were attacked and killed, and you had to stand there helplessly because you were unprepared for that day?”

Ricardo

Look at his website - lots of pictures on there. www.garritysgunleather.com

Austin

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Piglet View Post
    dimmak wrote:

Well, I don't want to discourage you too badly, but I'm waiting on an InCognito ordered in mid-summer 2006.

Don't know if that icon fits or not, but it's adorable - had to use it finally.

It is, on second thought, somewhat representative of my resignation at this point .

I'm seriously considering learning how to build my own holster.....

Anxious to get this one, has all the features I desire on an IWB holster...
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

As some of you may be aware, I was quoted a "Three to four months" timeframe. After nine months I cancelled my order.

I will not endorse a company or a business that promises, but then doesn't deliver as promised. I feel that I cut a lot of slack in my situation, and some people say I should just "suck it up" and be happy I get it when I do. Sorry, but I'm not a doormat for anybody to use like that.

Keep your word and deliver when you promise or lose a customer, it's your choice. I make my choice with my wallet. If enough of us gun toters did this maybe we might get the service we would like from more of the holstermakers instead of the empty promises that many are giving their customers now.

Biker

posted by BikerRN:

Keep your word and deliver when you promise or lose a customer, it's your choice. I make my choice with my wallet. If enough of us gun toters did this maybe we might get the service we would like from more of the holstermakers instead of the empty promises that many are giving their customers now.
    Perhaps this is true regarding those makers whose holster businesses are their full-time jobs, but in Garrity's case I don't think this applies. He holds down a full-time LE job already, and crafting holsters is a part-time gig on the side.

Thus, I do not think the extra income from the holsters he sells is really that much of an incentive to him. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that he doesn't have an incentive to complete orders - his incentive is the preservation of his enviable reputation, a reputation for integrity that I, for one, still entirely believe in - but simply that money probably isn't a big issue in his case. That's just my guess.

However, this does relate to something else that has mystified me from time to time.

I think it is apparent to anybody familiar with the world of custom holsters that Mark Garrity's work is highly sought after, and almost has a cult following of sorts. With the kind of demand that we are seeing for his leather, why did he feel the need to keep taking orders to the point where he was so badly backlogged?

Why didn't he simply stop taking orders when he was only several months behind, catch up to point where his backlog was maybe a week, and then declare on his website and various forums that he was once again taking orders?

I cannot believe that his failure to do this was due to concern over loss of business. If there are so many people out there who want Garrity holsters that I have had to wait 14 months (and counting) for mine, it seems safe to say that, so long as he remains a one-man shop, demand is always going to outstrip supply. We are simply not going to see the day when Garrity has to scrounge around for orders. It won't happen. I guarantee, within a week or two after posting that he is "taking orders once again", he would be inundated with responses, and well on his way to building a new mega-backlog.

So, I can't see the harm in his taking periodic breaks from accepting new orders while he chips away at his existing queue.

Finally, just to make something explicitly clear:

Mark Garrity wrote (a while back, in another thread):

Why is it that these internet forums have become the pulpit whereby to bash custom holster-makers turnaround times...

Some customers take it as a personal insult when they don't get their product on time, like we're holding out or something. Trust me, I would love to be able to increase my production 10-fold without compromising quality. I do not charge up-front, and I'm not independantly wealthy. Don't you think I'd love to get your holster done and get your money in my bank account as much as you'd like to receive it?? Hell, if I could make 10 holsters a day instead of 10 holsters a week I'd be doing just that and be rich doing it! Now don't you think I would if I physically could??
    Lest my comments be hastily and wrongly interpreted, this post (and others like it) is not intended to "bash" or disparage anyone; I'm merely being inquisitive and seeking constructive discussion about what is understandably a touchy subject for those in the custom holster business. I acknowledge that, when someone is under pressure as Mark and many other leatherworkers are, there is a tendency to take questions and comments far more personally than is intended, and perceive slights and innuendos that are not actually present.

Though turnaround times may be a hot topic for some, it needn't become a stick with which to belabor artisans like Mark Garrity.

At the same time, those of us who are patiently waiting for our holsters should be able to candidly exchange ideas and opinions without fear of such discussions being labeled defamatory or backbiting in nature. Censorship is not the answer in a situation like this, so if anybody is tempted to run at the mouth with waspish comments or acerbic criticism that could get this thread shut down by moderators, please hold your peace.

Mark:

If you happen by (I know it's unlikely with you as busy as you are), any input would be welcome. We would be pleased to hear from you, if only a few words.

Quote Originally Posted by Piglet View Post
    Why didn't he simply stop taking orders when he was only several months behind, catch up to point where his backlog was maybe a week, and then declare on his website and various forums that he was once again taking orders?

So, I can't see the harm in his taking periodic breaks from accepting new orders while he chips away at his existing queue.

Good post. A perfect example of what you suggest. I placed an order with Southernholsters about a week ago. At that time, I was told lead times were approx. 4-5 weeks, hardly a long time. I happen to check the website today and saw this message:

"NEW CUSTOM ORDERS ARE ON HOLD UNTIL I GET CAUGHT UP, WHICH WILL BE UNTIL ABOUT 29 OCT. CURRENT ORDERS PLACE AFTER 9 SEPT WILL EXPERIENCE ABOUT A 2 WEEK DELAY DUE TO FAMILITY, KID'S ACTIVITIES, AND WORK."

Website is now showing a Lead Time of 6 weeks. Sounds good to me. I think the frustration displayed in this thread is caused by many customers feeling lied to or misled. I have never bashed any holster makers on any forum, but I honestly feel that I have been misled by a few. Few examples of my experiences in dealings with various makers:

1) I ordered a holster about a month ago from a custom maker and was told approx. wait time of 5 months. I observe that others are currently receiving orders that were placed 11-12 months ago. This doesn't make sense?
    2) Placed an order, quoted 3 months wait. Called at 5 months and told that my holster would be shipping out that week. Received it 4 months later.
    3) Placed an order, quoted 3-4 months. It is now 10 months and still waiting.
    4) Placed an order, initially quoted a few weeks then 3 months. It is now 19 months and still waiting.

You get the idea. I truly do understand that things do happen that cause delays (i.e. health, family, etc.) and these things we can't control. I really like the Delfatti, Graham, and Sparks method of posting time frame for orders that they are working on. That allows for the most accurate way of determining what your wait will be.

VIP Member
    I'm content to wait for my order from Mark but if I had any advice to offer him, it would only be that he create or ask someone else to help him create, a bulk e-mail list of his pending customer's e-mail addresses and shoot out a single e-mail to everyone letting them know that their orders will be running late. It's a task that wouldn't take much time to do and it's just common courtesy, and I think not too much to ask, for a business to let their customers know they haven’t been forgotten.

I think there would be a lot fewer threads complaining about waiting time if that had happened!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

If "custom" holsters are expected to be delivered on a schedule - what about an electric dryer? I order one, get told it has shipped, call back a week later and "its not in stock, no longer made." Ok, so ship me the next better one, and have it here in 3 days. "Sure, no problem." Obviously they didn't make it. So I call and say cancel my order. You gave me bad service and you lied to me and I want my money back. "We're willing to pay for installation and refund your shipping and blah blah blah..." Nope. Give me my money. You're dead to me.

If you really want custom leather you're going to wait one way or another. Get something to tide you over til it arrives and don't worry about it. Its just leather and string and stuff - the poor guys are doing what they can. For Mark its a part time job...and he has to work overtime often because his PDs short handed.

Austin

I got an IN-CONSPICUOUS with shark trim from him and the wait was about 3 months and I ordered it the end of 06. I absolutely love the holster. It's the one on the right, the one on the left is a UBG :

If I get cranky It's because the VA is changing my meds again.
    NRA and DAV life member.
    1911Auto

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    I will not endorse a company or a business that promises, but then doesn't deliver as promised. .............
    Keep your word and deliver when you promise or lose a customer, it's your choice. I make my choice with my wallet.
    Biker
    I agree. It would help alot if they would give accurate time estimates, rather than just a date to shut us up for a while....... I don't know why they do this, as it can't be particularly enjoyable for the them either.
    Ceasing to accept new orders (until caught up) would show a lot more integrity. In my opinion, mike

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links