Garrity turn- around

This is a discussion on Garrity turn- around within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; aus71383 wrote: If you really want custom leather you're going to wait one way or another. I'm not sure exactly what that is supposed to ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Garrity turn- around

aus71383 wrote:

If you really want custom leather you're going to wait one way or another.
    I'm not sure exactly what that is supposed to mean. It goes without saying that you're going to wait one way or another. Back when I placed my order in the summer of 2006, I was well aware that I was going to wait. Delivery was estimated (and as I've said again and again and again and again, I realize that estimates are not, by definition, exact, nor are they promises of any kind) at 3-4 months.

I fully expected to wait at least this long, since, to be frank, even with what I knew then, which is much less than what I know now about the demand for custom leather, 3 to 4 months sounded like a very short turnaround. So I settled back, content to wait not only the estimated time but a generous amount more if necessary.

I think that, in most anyone's opinion, twice the estimated time is plenty generous. I happily waited that long. And then quite a bit more.

Averaging the original estimate at 3.5 months, I have now passed 4 times the estimated wait.

And still, I am not ranting and raving. I'm not angry. I'm simply wondering - what is going on?

again, aus71383 wrote:

Get something to tide you over til it arrives and don't worry about it.
    Yes, I have been making do with some other products as I await my dream holster. As I said above, I'm not mad about this. But "don't worry about it"? No can do. I am indeed worried about it. After 14+ months, with several unsuccessful attempts to contact Mark in September (after which I graciously desisted lest I become a pest) I am, certainly, worried about it. That seems understandable, doesn't it?

And if the above isn't sufficient reason to be worried about it, here's why I'm really worried:

With the addition of saltysquid's post above, in which he says:

I got an IN-CONSPICUOUS with shark trim from him and the wait was about 3 months and I ordered it the end of 06.
    I am now aware of no fewer than 3 accounts of an individual having already received - in some cases long ago - a Garrity holster that he/she ordered after I ordered mine.

Now, this does not prove that anything is terribly wrong, because I don't know how Mark structures the way in which he goes about filling orders. I should think that he would normally build the items according to when the orders were placed, but of course I can't say, because he hasn't told me.

What I do know is that it makes me very suspicious - not that anything underhanded is transpiring, mind you, but suspicious that my order, for whatever reason, may be lost. And that worries me, enough to give me real reason to want to get in touch with him. But my attempts to do that failed.

So I am just sitting here - still patient, still waiting. So I have a question for you, aus71383:

In your opinion, after what amount of time would a customer be justified in becoming exasperated (which I'm not)? 5 times the estimated turnaround? 6 times?

And here's the clincher! You know what? I'd have no problem at all waiting another few months if only I heard something from Mark. If I received a modicum of communication, a tidbit of correspondence, that would put my mind at rest. It's not the wait, it's the total blackout that is baffling and frustrating.

You said:

Its just leather and string and stuff - the poor guys are doing what they can.
    Exactly. That's why I have scrupulously avoided hassling Mark with status inquiries (I only sent two that I remember, before last month's trio of attempts). I do feel for him with his impossible schedule and workload.

I wish Mark and everyone the best. No hard feelings of any kind. I've said my piece here and won't keep putting up these long posts. But I hope somehow this situation can be resolved soon. It is high time.

2. Remove Ads

Piglet, when I ordered mine he told me that he makes that particular model in batches for retail places and I might even have it quicker. So I think the time fame for me had more to do with the model I ordered than anything.
    If I get cranky It's because the VA is changing my meds again.
    NRA and DAV life member.
    1911Auto

Quote Originally Posted by saltysquid View Post
    Piglet, when I ordered mine he told me that he makes that particular model in batches for retail places and I might even have it quicker. So I think the time fame for me had more to do with the model I ordered than anything.
    Just wondering, what retail places carry Garrity holsters?

He didn't say, but I would be curious also.
    NRA and DAV life member.
    1911Auto

Thank you so much for telling me this. Really. That is what I am talking about - information, just a little bit, can go a long way towards alleviating confusion and concern.

At least I now know of one reason that might be responsible for why some people seem to be getting "taken care of", and others not.

But, though in your case things seem pretty clear-cut, I think my original concerns are still justified due to the following:

One of the other persons I referred to above who "already got his holster" is a user named Hobbes, who posted a thread back on April 7 of this year about an In-Cognito he received for his HK P2000SK. Link below:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ad.php?t=23254

In this thread, Hobbes states:

Wait time was long, around 8 months. I had another holster to use until this one arrived and Mark threw in the mag carrier free for my wait. All in all I'm happy, and Mark took care of me. I know there are others waiting for holsters from him and I'll just say to try and stay patient, it's worth it...
    Acknowledging that 8 months is a rough figure, and reckoning backwards, that would place Hobbes' order at about August 7, 2006. This is slightly after my order.

The fact that Hobbes had to wait 8 months for his leather suggests that it had to be made to order, not shipped from existing stock, though as always, nothing is certain. But I think it's fair to surmise that that holster had to be crafted to his specifications.

And he got it by April 7, 2007 - over 6 months, or half a year, ago.

The only difference between my and Hobbes' orders that I can see is that mine was in an exotic leather. Otherwise, we both ordered existing designs, albeit (I'm assuming in his case as well) specifying variables such as cant, mouth reinforcement, etc.

VIP Member
    I ordered mine in Feb, with the stated 3-4 month turn around. It was ordered via Govt. purchase order. Because the fiscal year ended, the PO is no longer valid. I wrote to Mark to ask about this (offering to let him charge the card before the holster was ready, so that the order would be valid) but never heard anything back. I'm seriously contemplating whether or not I want to put the PO through again...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Well, I'm sure mine was made to order due to the sharkskin trim and the particular colors I asked for, but it sounded like he stops and does these large orders of at least that model every so often so he did mine while doing the others. That's what I figured. It still took 3-4 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Piglet View Post
    The fact that Hobbes had to wait 8 months for his leather suggests that it had to be made to order, not shipped from existing stock, though as always, nothing is certain. But I think it's fair to surmise that that holster had to be crafted to his specifications.

And he got it by April 7, 2007 - over 6 months, or half a year, ago.

The only difference between my and Hobbes' orders that I can see is that mine was in an exotic leather. Otherwise, we both ordered existing designs, albeit (I'm assuming in his case as well) specifying variables such as cant, mouth reinforcement, etc.
    NRA and DAV life member.
    1911Auto

How does one know if your even on the list anymore? Or at what point your number will come up? Or if you should just move on without having any contact for several months? Or emailing order changes because of the long wait and things have changed without ever recieving a response letting you know everything is cool?

I am telling you that things would go much, much smoother if there was a list of people that have orders in on the website that we all could see where we stand if we are looking for an update. Like having our first name, first letter of last name, order number or something like that. The list could also have an estimated time line as each name moves up the list. People would then have little to no questions regarding their orders i'd bet.

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

I spoke with him a few weeks ago. I placed an order in January 2007 and he was just about to start it. I have seen people who are now receiving their orders from January. He is doing his best and I am sure it will be worth it once you get it.

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    I spoke with him approx one week ago and he is currently working on my order for a SteadFast and a Changeling plus two horizontal mag pouches all with exotic trim. Placed order approx one year ago, give or take. Waiting sucks but keep in mind that the more he gets bogged down with e-mails other than orders the more time it takes away from building holsters!

Quote Originally Posted by Landor View Post
    I spoke with him a few weeks ago. I placed an order in January 2007 and he was just about to start it. I have seen people who are now receiving their orders from January. He is doing his best and I am sure it will be worth it once you get it.
    Sounds like I may be getting close. I placed an order on Jan. 1st. I'm sure he's a very busy guy.

Landor wrote:
    Quote Originally Posted by Landor View Post
    That is what I am talking about. I placed my order October 19th 2006and if he is starting yours, well then where is mine? I should be 3months ahead of you. I have no doubt it is worth the wait, I wouldn't have ordered if I didn't think so, I just don't know where I stand. The great thing about it is there was no money up front and I commend Mark for doing that.

torrejon224 wrote:
    Quote Originally Posted by torrejon224 View Post
    I spoke with him approx one week ago and he is currently working on my order for a SteadFast and a Changeling plus two horizontal mag pouches all with exotic trim. Placed order approx one year ago, give or take. Waiting sucks but keep in mind that the more he gets bogged down with e-mails other than orders the more time it takes away from building holsters!
    Look's like you are closer to my time frame with ordering. Getting bogged down with call's and orders is my point of my other post. If the list was available on holster makers websites as well as approximately when the holser/'s might be done, many if not all call's about an order would disappear.

For the record, I have only emailed Mark once to order my holster and once to change the order because my needs changed and needed them made for different gun's and switched to Triskel's instead of the IN-Cognito's. I have never called or questioned my order and never recieved a response to my changing of the order.

I have no doubt that Mark is doing everything he can to get orders out but emailing an order in over 13 months ago and not hearing a thing since, questions like, am I still on the list and what is the ETA are not such bad things to want to know after so long.

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

I have a little used Incognito Deluxe holster and mag pouch for a Government 5 inch 1911 that I would be willing to part with for a fair price and that would help shorten someone's wait time.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links