Between Belt and Pants Holsters?

This is a discussion on Between Belt and Pants Holsters? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was looking at that great Stingray thread posted by NYCMedic, and I followed the link he posted with his holster made by Nossar Gunleather. ...

Thread: Between Belt and Pants Holsters?

Between Belt and Pants Holsters?

I was looking at that great Stingray thread posted by NYCMedic, and I followed the link he posted with his holster made by Nossar Gunleather.

On Nossar Gunleather's website, they have two holsters they call "between the belt and pants." I don't think I've ever encountered a holster of that make before. Does anyone have any experience with those types of holsters, whether by Nossar or another manufacturer? Any general thoughts and opinions on this method of carry is welcome.

Pic originally supplied from Nossar's website.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."
    --Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

Yes, other holster makers do produce these. I don't know what advantage this holster would give over conventional OWB holsters - maybe snug it a little closer to the body. I have not used one so everything is really just speculation on my part.

Several brands of these

I am aware of several holster makers who supply this type of holster. Galco makes a "JAK slide", Sparks makes a "Mirage", and Mitch Rosen and Del Fatti make several models of this type of holster.

I have used the JAK slide, and it has the advantage of pulling the gun very tight against your side because the belt goes OVER the gun, similar to an IWB holster, rather than under the gun as in an OWB holster. When you tighten the belt it really presses the gun into your side and reduces any printing on your cover garment. Additionally, the holster often uses minimal leather compared to a standard holster, so the overall bulk is less.

You do need a belt with an extra hole or two available to use this type of holster, and it must fit between belt loops so you may have to compromise on exactly where on your waist you wear the holster.

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    If you have a single point IWB you can try it out and see if you like it..I find it a bit more concealable than an OWB but not quite as an IWB....never felt the need for a dedicated BPB rig as my Del Fatti WR works fine in that role...but the one in your pic has a nice minimal look to it and might be worth looking at...

Thanks for the replies, guys. Appreciated. I will have to look into this type of rig.

LoveLeather, nice gun you got there! What type of holster is that?
    "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."
    --Thomas Jefferson

I would not use any holster that had the front of the slide so exposed. It would be rather easy to have it bumped out.

IMO, as far as this type of holster goes, I always said "why"? Never tried it but I can't see it working for me.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

New Member Array KyInvestigator's Avatar
    The benefit is that for those individuals who cannot tolerate an IWB, this type of holster allows the closeness of the IWB with the comfort of a OWB. In fact, you can do this yourself with some of the OWB holsters on the market today. Simply reverse the manner which you thread your belt into the slots...putting your belt over the TOP of the holster will snug it into you very nice.

A couple caveats: 1) don't do this with a new holster as it is possible to damage the leather in the area of the slots making a return to the original OWB less than satisfactory..use older holsters that you may not be too attached to 2) as always, practice, practice, and more practice is needed with any holster setup. This method will dramatically change the tension on the gun within the holster and is best used with a holster that has a reinforced mouth to keep it from collapsing after the draw.

A couple examples good for this kind of carry are the Hume holsters and the CarryLock from Bianchi, with the latter having absolutely NO difference in draw secondary to the locking mechanism.

YMMV...hope this helps someone.

K&D Holsters makes one called the Maverick Defender that can be worn IWB or between belt and pants. I have one on order, hoping to see it in a few weeks. His delivery time is 10 to 12 weeks +, since his work is in high demand.
    See Kevin's Website Here.

"Maverick Defender - This holster provides an open top, slide onto the belt, style. The belt attachment allows adjustment of the cant of the holster. It provides a compact, closely trimmed style; with an additional layer of leather around the throat of the holster open for easy reholstering. It can be worn either IWB or outside the waistband (between the waistband of your pants and your belt). It is available for small, medium, and full size autos.

Price - $70.00"
    Chuck

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sass20485 View Post
    I would not use any holster that had the front of the slide so exposed. It would be rather easy to have it bumped out.
    Same here...I have tried belt slides that are open on the bottom and I have bumped my muzzle on chairs enough times to wory about messing up my front site...

I prefer the IWB (single metal clip) only, and with the muzzle covered...
    My Fist holsters do not collapse...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Links