Help my skinny butt out!

This is a discussion on Help my skinny butt out! within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So while I'm waiting for my CCW class to roll around, I've been playing with different positions at home with my MTAC and G26. Here's ...

Thread: Help my skinny butt out!

Help my skinny butt out!

So while I'm waiting for my CCW class to roll around, I've been playing with different positions at home with my MTAC and G26. Here's my problem - I'm too skinny. Anywhere I place the gun, it sticks out. Anything on my hip or slightly behind it, sticks out like a sore thumb. I've dropped the MTAC to it's lowest position, but the grip of the Glock still protrudes.

The only place it really disappears is when it's at 11 o'clock (I'm a lefty). It's also the most comfortable. I've been practicing drawing from this position and I'm able to pull just as fast, if not faster than if it's at 8:30 or 9 o'clock. When I sit, the muzzle is basically at the top of my left thigh, but does not feel uncomfortable...well...except the fact that I have a gun pointed at my leg.

Is carrying at 11 o'clock (non-cross draw) and acceptable way to carry

2. Remove Ads

My butt is the antithesis of skinny, but I'll try to provide some helpful advice.

Have you tried changing the angle of the holster? A forward cant (FBI cant) can help hide the butt of a gun carried on the hip. The MTAC rides with a slight forward cant as a default, but you can increase this by using a lower hole on the front clip than the back one. Of course there is a limit to this. With too much forward cant the pistol can become difficult to draw.

Quote Originally Posted by doctor_ocks View Post
    The only place it really disappears is when it's at 11 o'clock (I'm a lefty). It's also the most comfortable. I've been practicing drawing from this position and I'm able to pull just as fast, if not faster than if it's at 8:30 or 9 o'clock. When I sit, the muzzle is basically at the top of my left thigh, but does not feel uncomfortable...well...except the fact that I have a gun pointed at my leg.

Is carrying at 11 o'clock (non-cross draw) and acceptable way to carry
    The 10-11 o'clock position and the equivalent 1-2 o'clock position for right handed shooters, is called appendix carry (yes, it's not anywhere near your appendix if you're a lefty, but the name is still the same). It is a perfectly legitimate way to carry. The drawstroke is a little different, but with practice it can be very fast (it's definitely faster when addressing a threat on your support hand side than strong side hip carry).

As long as the pistol's in the holster, it's not going to spontaneously discharge, so I don't think you have to worry about that. When you draw keep your finger off the trigger until you get the gun pointed away from your body. When holstering make sure that there's nothing in the trigger guard (particularly on a Glock).

Try a muzzle rearward cant with the butt of the gun in the hollow of the kidney.
    I carry my 4" N-Frame there and if I can hide it, you probably can too. One of the big factors to concealment is the belt and holster used. It makes a world of difference. Also, clothing should be a little looser than normal. I wear a medium T-Shirt if you go by the sizing charts. All my T-Shirts are large. It's a good thing 'loose and comfy" is in.
    I wear a 38 Jacket, all my jackets are size 40. I think you get the idea. My clothing is large enough to help cover the gun w/o looking like I'm wearing a burlap sack. I also have them "tailored" so they hang on me properly. It's a little more exspensive, but I'm worth it.

Biker

Appendix carry

The 11:00 position for a lefty is appendix carry, as would be 1:00 or 2:00 for a right hander. I have experimented with it, and find it works best if:

- The gun is small, with a short barrel (or else it can poke your leg when you sit down).
    - Your build includes a flat stomach.
    - You wear a dark colored, loose fitting cover garment that blouses out a bit in front.
    - The gun's grip is short - maybe a "two finger" grip like a revolver boot grip or Walther PPK grip - and is worn vertically rather than canted.

Nothing wrong with appendix carry. That's how I carry my XD9 Service. Strong side at around 1:00 position. Yeah it points at my leg sometimes when I am sitting but I have complete faith in my holster and setup. It's really as safe a method as any other.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Thanks guys. The one thing I hadn't tried was a more extreme cant. I'll give that a whirl when I get home tonight.

Yeah, the cant doesn't help. I guess it's just gonna have to be 11 o'clock for me.

Thanks for the help, guys!

The one alternative not offered yet: Go to the nearest pancake house and eat, and eat and eat... After 40 or 50 pounds, you can carry it anywhere!
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Cheeseburgers 5 times a day. No exercise. Drink soda constantly. You'll notice a difference in less than a month.

Austin

What the heck are you wearing Rick Martin shirts!!! LOLOL Just kidding.

Get some larger shirts with print on them. Then go for it. Make sure you hit wallmart for nachos too. Those might fatten you up. But bottom line you can conceal a G26. Just don't be so self conscience. Nobody will notice trust me!!!

Make sure you are using the standard or V clip. I use a heavy 1.5 inch leather belt. I utilize my Crossbreed (same design as the MTAC) where it does not seat that deep in the pants. Try the clips on the very last hole (or first depending on how you are looking at it) that will allow it to not sink that far in the pants. For me my sweet spot is around 4:30. So you could try around 7, 7:30 or 8. The key is the belt & the correct clips that keeps it snug against the body. I can wear a tucked shirt with no problem unless I bend over and touch the floor. When I utilized the C clips or the J clips - it would bag the pants down a little and cause it to lean away from the body. The top part of the C clips always comes off the top part of the belt for me. Oh well - just a couple of my ideas.

I'm a small guy & wear a P7m8 in a Del Fatti isp-4, the can't is almost to much for my skinny butt. I find almost no can't to conceal better on me. Wearing around 3:30-4 (right side).

Quote Originally Posted by swiftyjuan View Post
    The one alternative not offered yet: Go to the nearest pancake house and eat, and eat and eat... After 40 or 50 pounds, you can carry it anywhere!
    I like that idea!

Links