Cross-draw IWB for CCW

This is a discussion on Cross-draw IWB for CCW within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Probably has been done to death and if so, Mods, feel free to shake a finger at me and close/lock thread if need be. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cross-draw IWB for CCW

Cross-draw IWB for CCW

Probably has been done to death and if so, Mods, feel free to shake a finger at me and close/lock thread if need be.

I have been carrying a small j-frame IWB at the 2 o'clock for years now. But since then I have been rethinking the "old-school" crossdraw method.

I have found that it is easier to draw while belted into a vehicle and that it is actually more comfortable for me to carry this way.

I understand the idea that the cross draw method makes it somewhat easier for a BG to snatch my gun, and while a valid point, I am having trouble disqualifying the crossdraw outright. I dont really see this as a huge probelm because my gun will be under my shirt and hopefully I will be able to avoid or even counter his move for my gun. Hopefully.

Also, some may mention the "sweep" factor when presenting from a cross draw. Something I need to think about as well.

So...please help me out here. Can anyone make a good argument as to why I should, or should not, use the cross-draw method.

2. Remove Ads

I too, carry a mod 36 crossdraw. I really enjoy the comfort and easy access while driving. The bg taking my weapon in any type of carry, is possible but we are talking about concealed carry. We have the edge because the bg should'nt know that we are packin until the draw. One of the greatest advantages of crossdraw is the weakhand's ability to also draw the weapon. So don't sweat the bg taking your weapon and remember the "MINDSET" aspect of ccw. Practice crossdraw and include the weakhand draw, if you do it will improve your self confidence and your tactical "mindset". As always jmho
    What you think you know.... Can kill you!

Even if you carry strong hand, you'll still likely have to sweep with your week hand to clear your cover garments. It's easier for me to clear my cover garment while carrying crossdraw because my week hand only has to lift the cover garment straight up instead of sweeping across my body all the way around to 5 o'clock where I carry strong hand. The week hand draw is also an advantage.
    Never criticize a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes...that way, when you criticize him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

I've been thinking about switching over to cross-draw. I carry a Taurus PT-145, very light and compact. I have just recently started carrying in the appendix position. (7 yrs as an ofc, taught me to carry on the hip or just behind, appendix has taken some getting used to.) However, I have been trying to find a small belt pouch to use in the CD method. Not a fanny pack, because all that does is tell the BG that I am carrying a gun. Any thoughts on the belt puch for a sm 45
    Some people are alive simply because it's illegal to kill them.

If guns cause crime, then pens cause illiteracy

Rock Island Armory 1911 compact tactical, Ruger GP 100, Glock 27

VIP Member
    99% of the time I carry in the same place, IWB @ 1630hrs but I too want this option especially for the cold weather months when I'm wearing a jacket.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Well for myself i wont carry in that fashon . My reasons are i am 45+ years old , i fight the middle age spread , its a longer reach around stuff than it was as a kid . Secondarily i am an old cop and tend to do the " interview " stance when talking to folks .. that puts my strongside at the back . IMHO crossdraw is just as valid as ankle carry ... and is worth doing about as much
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Is there any kind of tactical advantage or disadvantage to the cross-draw?

Well, I'm ashamed to say it, but crossdraw is out for me simply because I can't get my arm far enough across my GUT fast enough! Yes I'm trying to shrink the gut but it's a constant struggle. I also hesitate to think of the amount of training that would be required to instill the proper amount of muscle memory since I've never carried in this manner. There were times when I carried in a shoulder holster (horizontal rig) but even that's pretty slow and far easier than trying to execute the draw from hip level and across those wide open spaces on my belly.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Wink Upsides and down....just like everything else

Quote Originally Posted by Sigsauer View Post
    Is there any kind of tactical advantage or disadvantage to the cross-draw?
    It's supposed to be more comfortable and faster especially if you're seated.

But the down side is that anybody who is aware you're carrying that way is set up to smoothly and decisively grab your gun.

Think of those films: MY NAME IS NOBODY.

Also I think it's about 100% easier to flash display than any other method of carry. Easier to let on that you're heeled in public. Think about it: Think of the distance your cover garment has to move if you're wearing it strong side at 4 O'Clock versus the mere inches if you're wearing it front of the weak side hip.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

depending on the holster you are currently using, you may be able to simply shift your position from 2 to 10. If you're using a straight drop IWB it would be realtively easy. If something else, the maker may offer a no cant version. This way, you can at least test the theory. I'm still not convinced that strongside carry doesn't sometimes send an early signal of coming events with the thrashing of clothes and flailing of elbows in anticipation of the draw. With cross draw it is possible to "prepare" yourself with a casual crossing of the arms - if time allows.

Even Roy, Hoppy and Wild Bill carried one on each side.

Wink So did Doc Holliday

Quote Originally Posted by past60 View Post
    I'm still not convinced that strongside carry doesn't sometimes send an early signal of coming events with the thrashing of clothes and flailing of elbows in anticipation of the draw. With cross draw it is possible to "prepare" yourself with a casual crossing of the arms - if time allows. Even Roy, Hoppy and Wild Bill carried one on each side.
    If you "sweep" with a dramatic flourish....sure it telegraphs a signal. But it's something I'm not terribly certain a BG is going to catch since he TOO will be suffering the symptoms of tachypsychia -- one of which is extreme tunnel vision. With the crossdraw there is a much higher risk that a casual body movement or a gust of wind will expose the gun before you're even ready to start forming a response to any situation. With a strongside IWB that is specialized like a Crossbreed Super Tuck, http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/beltslide.html would tend to be so unobtrusive that the draw required is unlike anything conventional or seen in the movies which is where most BGs get their "training."
    Last edited by ExSoldier; August 19th, 2007 at 02:48 PM. Reason: add link to crossbreed holster

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    [I]. With the crossdraw there is a much higher risk that a casual body movement or a gust of wind will expose the gun before you're even ready to start forming a response to any situation.

In this particular case, his current carry is 2 o'clock. A switch to 10 o'clock is not really any different. That said, I think I can see your points and their value. In my case, however, arthritus makes me slower with the elbow movements of a 4 o'clock postion. If I have time, I can reach through an single, unbuttoned hole while crossing my arms and have the little J in hand while evaluating the threat. This is perhaps too hopeful on my part as to the pace at which a situation may develop, but the only strongside position I can reach with any strength or quickness is a pocket carry. That is my preferred method, but I also really like the cross draw with a tuckable holster with the J, or another tuckable with my larger, 9mm. Both of these tuckables are sometimes used in the appendix position with comfort, too. The choice of the day, whether crossdraw, appendix or pocket depends on all the circumstances and variables that, I'm sure, each of us deals with all the time. I have to adjust, however, to today's joint conditions as well. Not complaining by the way. It's just part of aging and a problem much preferred to the alternative.
    Last edited by past60; August 19th, 2007 at 04:36 PM.

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    Most days will find me wearing my S&W .38 or .357 in the cross draw position. I find it the most comfortable and most accessible. During the summer I wear a Guayabera shirt with snaps instead of buttons and in cooler weather my jacket is usually snapped at the bottom - the snaps keep gusts from exposing the weapon and still gives easy access. It seems a no brainer to me since for years as a Federal Agent I carried my weapon in a shoulder holster and there isn't much difference in location.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

Well...I tried carrying crossdraw today. I must admit, I am begining to actually prefer this method of carry over the strongside method, mostly from a comfort standpoint.

I dont really see retention as an issue. A BG will have to really have xray eyes to tell if I am carrying. My body build precludes it printing even LESS with crossdraw than it did when I am carrying on the strong side, which even then was virtually nil.

There has been occasion when my wood boot grips would occasionally print ever so slightly under my shirt if there was a strong breeze blowing that is strong enough to "plaster" my shirt against my body on that side. Today, there was a strong head wind which I was walking against and the crossdraw carry completely hid my grip against my "appendix". My wife checked for me and she was impressed with the lack of printing using the crossdraw.

As far as "broad casting" the draw when carrying crossdraw, I am not convinced that it will telegraph any more than it would on the strongside. But I can see the arguement there. I will have to really think about the merits of that. Is it really such a huge tactical disadvantage...and does it really outweigh the advantage to be gained by the crossdraw while seated in a car?

I use cross lots of times, especially if I'm going to be belted into a car. I'm a lefty and the cross draw allows me full acess with a seatbelt on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links