Winter Carry

Winter Carry

This is a discussion on Winter Carry within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; With winter coming and deliveries running long from some sellers, I'm trying to plan for a pocket holster I can use in my outer, coat ...

Thread: Winter Carry

Winter Carry

With winter coming and deliveries running long from some sellers, I'm trying to plan for a pocket holster I can use in my outer, coat pocket. I'll be using a Colt Agent and am concerned that the holster will hold the pistol securely, but also release it if needed even when I'm wearing gloves. I'm anticipating that I will need something that I can "push off" when my hands are less sensitive because of the gloves or the cold.

The pockets will vary from a slash pocket on a Pea Coat to a Lower pocket, similar to a suit or sport coat.

Any suggestions?

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Check out Mika's pocket holsters. I have one for my 642 and it really works well. Real affordable too.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Fist kydex pocket holster...light, thin, no print, thumb push...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

What is this Winter thing you speak of ? .............
    quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by enigmaone View Post
    What is this Winter thing you speak of ? .............
    I had hoped to avoid the inevitable appearance of a statement such as this, but obviously some clarification is necessary. "Winter" is a period when for the sacrifice of a few degrees in temperature, we are rewarded with post-card scenery, new excitement in motoring, brand new scenery, clearer views of fleeing deer, and the delightful disappearance of most insects and a major section of the population who themselves flock to the warmer climes. There to clog traffic, fill restaurants, and generally annoy the the natives who, themselves, have no place to hide since they don't appreciate all of the previously described rewards.

For pocket holsters, I swear by a Kramer.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

So far, it's interesting to see that the recommendations are pretty much the same as for daily carry. I was concerned that cold weather, gloves and loss of finger "feel" would require some different thinking. I'm concerned that it may be more difficult to sense if the holster is coming out with the pistol when one is wearing gloves. I'm also thinking of the stickiness of the various types when in the cold. With the Mika (a great holster), I'm concerned that the 'loose' fit will translate to flashing or slipping into view when I can't feel movement through so many layers of clothes. Too, I'm wondering if leather will stiffen when cold and/or become more slippery.

Maybe I'm trying to anticipate too much - I hope so.

I second the Mika Pocket Holster nomination. It works very well in a coat pocket.

Biker

Attempting Humor without a permit

Quote Originally Posted by past60 View Post
    I had hoped to avoid the inevitable appearance of a statement such as this, but obviously some clarification is necessary. "Winter" is a period when for the sacrifice of a few degrees in temperature, we are rewarded with post-card scenery, new excitement in motoring, brand new scenery, clearer views of fleeing deer, and the delightful disappearance of most insects and a major section of the population who themselves flock to the warmer climes. There to clog traffic, fill restaurants, and generally annoy the the natives who, themselves, have no place to hide since they don't appreciate all of the previously described rewards.
    Thank you sir, I was trying to inject some levity as I also came from Grand rapids MI, But very luckily for me in the early 80s i found Tropical florida and its been so long that i almost had forgotten what
    Snow was If ioffended you , My bad, sorry.
    quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

No offense taken. I was, myself, trying to show some humor. We retired up here and have no regrets. Winter is not the problem it used to be when you really don't need to be anywhere and if we need to find a change, heading south is always an option - we just follow our neighbors.

The solution may lie in a better/thinner pair of gloves rather than a new rig. When I'm doing work outside in the winter, I usually wear a pair of heavy mechanics gloves. They tend to keep me warm enough and also keep the dexterity needed for operating a handgun. Just a thought.
    Never criticize a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes...that way, when you criticize him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by past60 View Post

ROFL

Sponsored Links