Need some IWB help

This is a discussion on Need some IWB help within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just got mt vm2 in the mail saturday .However,I'm completely new to IWB carry,I need some tips.I already have pants that are a couple ...

Thread: Need some IWB help

Need some IWB help

I just got mt vm2 in the mail saturday .However,I'm completely new to IWB carry,I need some tips.I already have pants that are a couple sizes bigger(I've been loseing weight).Is there any special"rules" I need to go by.I know it's not rocket science and I'm probably reading to far into this.How do you guys carry IWB.The gun is a 5" 1911.Thanks

2. Remove Ads

this time of the year, I wear jean shorts, wear mine at about 3;30 to 4 oclock. IWB there's no one place that fits all, just move it around a little see where it's most comfortable, where it conceals best, start at 3 work your way back to about 5 let how it feels be your guide.

The Holster is only as good as the belt that supports it.

Biker

I wear mine at 3:30 to 4:00 as well and yes, a true gun belt is critical for comfort and support. They cost more than wardrobe belts but the good ones will far outlast them too.

Keep in mind that new holsters are pretty stiff. It might take a week or so for the holster to form to your hip and get really comfortable. Give it time, it'll get better!
    Jack

The belt is not a problem,I have several from beltman,sparks ,Gary b and galco.

Wear it around the house as much as possible. Break in the holster, get used to the weight, adjust the location, tightness of belt, any tension device in holster. Practice drawing and presenting your pistol from the holster with the normal cover items in place (PLEASE DO THIS WITH AN UNLOADED GUN, TRIPLE CHECK IT, UNLOADED!!!!!)
    Pay attention to how your shirt, under the holster/gun hangs. Make sure it is well tucked in and does not impede your draw or blouse out to snag the gun.
    Make several short trips, to the store, a park, anywhere you will be out in public with your gun. Concentrate on not printing, not do things that give away your carrying (patting, adjusting, rubbing with elbow, walking differently, conciously holding your gun side arm stiff and away from your body). After these short trips, you will begin to get used to carrying. You might ask a friend to go with you to observe for things that mnight give you away.
    Be alert but relaxed. Tension, stiffness, rigid movement are all things that attract attention and give away gun carriers.

I sold my VMII because I found that A-IWB was the way for me to carry. Much more comfort, concealability and quicker access for extreme close quarter shooting. The VM had too much cant.

Before I made the switch I liked to carry at 3:00 but I found that anywhere rear from there was able to print too much for my liking during movement.

Good luck with it, the VM II was one of the most comfortable holsters I have ever had.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

VIP Member
    A good belt and find that "sweet spot", that place where your holster feels just right walking, sitting or standing. Wear it around the house, while driving and even when just sitting. You'll find your "sweet spot" in no time at all!

I carry mine between 1600 & 1630hrs.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

unfortunatley, for me at least, sometimes the most concealable location is not the most comfortable and just because you have an expensive holster, doesn't mean you have solved the problem. For example, I have a milt sparks rig that was a pretty penny and is very well made, but when it's comfy for me (about 4:30) at that position it doesn't conceal very well. However, with the UBG Canute (less expensive), I can wear it at the same position and since it sits a bit lower on the waistband and has a tad more forward cant, it conceals perfectly. Sometimes you need to try a few setups to find what's right for you. Others can suggest quality makers, but that doesn't mean that it will be the winner for your specific situation/body type. My 2 cents

By the way, the wait for a Milt sparks VMII for a Bazooka with 15 degree cant is 7 years and takes 3 whole cows to make!
    Never criticize a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes...that way, when you criticize him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

I use Don Hume IWBs with a belt clip for all my carry guns including 1911s and after a while I could almost forget I'm still carrying. Very comfortable and I like the stiff opening so I can re holster without fumbling around. I also have a couple of Galco IWBs that work great, but they have heavy snaps and aren't quite as easy to get on and off.
    A good belt is a must to support the weight of the gun and keep stuff from moving around.
    ...one jagged hole!

Links