Defensive Carry banner

Crossbreed Holster Review Part 2

4K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  PawPaw 
#1 ·
This is the second half of my review on the Crossbreed Supertuck Holster. For that missed the first part of the review you can find it here.

First let me say that I would recommend this holster to anyone and have already done so.

Got that out of the way.

I received my Supertuck on the 8/10 and have been wearing it non stop with my M&P9.

Once I found the position and cant that worked for me, this holster was very comfortable. It was easy to forget it was there (except for the weight of the weapon).

The materials have held up ok. I know it hasn't been long enough to really get a good idea of how this holster will hold up, but as of right now everything looks good. With the exception of the clips having sharp edges (explained in first review) I have no complaints about the workmanship.

I did have one problem that kept resurfacing. I noticed several times that when sitting down the muzzle of my firearm was contacting the seat through my pants. When this happened the firearm was pushed up far enough for the trigger guard to clear the Kydex. This is bad. Real bad. I saw this happen 4 times when sitting down in everything from my car to a wooden chair to a pleather covered booth at a restaurant.

Needless to say I almost messed myself the first time it happened. After the first instance I started carrying my M&P with the chamber empty. Not at all the way I would prefer, but after this incident I decided it was necessary. The 4th and final time was last Wed. I went out and got into the car and felt the gun rise out of the holster. Sure enough the trigger guard was out and the trigger was in the open. I promptly went back in the house and took off the holster. I am now back to carrying my 642. Needless to say I have sent an email to the folks at CB and asked for instructions on how to return the holster.

Now let me say that there are many people that love this holster and wear it daily. I believe this to be a good holster. I think the problem I have seen maybe due to my carry position and my body style. I think the problem could be fixed by making the Kydex portion of the holster longer to cover the muzzle.

Again, I would recommend this holster to anyone and have already done so. If you are looking for an IWB holster this may be the one for you.

Finally let me say thanks to the the folks over at Crossbreed and how nice it is to have a two week guarantee on a holster. I think we all have enough holsters that were one hit wonders.

See less See more
#2 ·
Thank you for your review. Your problem is one of the few things I have been concerned with about the Crossbreed design. Unlike Comp-tac or Tucker's hybrids, all SuperTuck's appear to come with kydex that only covers the main body of the gun and not the entire front of the slide/barrel. This can be good in that multiple guns may fit the same holster even though they have different slide lengths, but bad (like in your case) where the exposed end of the slide permits it to be pushed up out of the holster defeating retention.

Crossbreed should consider modifying their design. There are a couple different ideas that may work to help with this problem. The most obvious would be to lengthen the kydex portion to cover the front of the slides. This may require one or two additional rivets and maybe two or three inches of kydex. Another idea that might work would be to design adjustable retention through the use of chicago screws and a small bit of rubber tubing. To do this right they would need to change slightly how they press the kydex so that it would have a tighter fit that can be then adjusted using the screws.

Sorry, for your problems with your holster. I'm expecting my SuperTuck to come soon so I'll post my own experiences with mine. Thank you for sharing yours.

#3 ·
Now let me say that there are many people that love this holster and wear it daily. I believe this to be a good holster.
I know of at least 5 people personally that wear this holster on a daily basis and swear by them.

I bought this holster so that I could carry my G19 or a G26. I carry at 3:00 to 3:30 (max). I feel awkward drawing at 4:00 or SOB. Unfortunately, I couldn't get the holster to sit right for me. When I would finally get the cant right, the leather piece would catch the top of my thigh. By adjusting it so it didn't dig in, I would screw up the cant.

Needless to say, I contacted Mark and let him know I was having issues and he was very helpful. After trying some of the suggestions I got from him and others, I gave up on the holster. In retrospect, I could have made some cuts into the leather, but I figured that would be altering the intended design.

I did not experience the issues you describe, however, I think it is a fine holster. Both Glocks concealed very well with it. I just couldn't get it to work for me at 3:00. As a company, they were courteous and stood behind their guarantee without being abrasive about it. If the opportunity presents itself, I would do business with them again.

#4 ·
I was just now sitting in my office and got a call from the front saying that I had a package come in. That's always my first clue it's gun related. If the ladies see something that has holster or NRA on it, they call me right away to pick it up. So I went up and low and behold my Crossbreed I ordered.

Unfortunately, they made a mistake and molded it for the wrong gun. I called up Mark and he said that it looks like they sent me a holster for a 229 and not a 239. He said to send it back and they'll make me the right holster. Hopefully it'll be made soon and I'll have it shortly.

Here I got all excited...

#5 ·
I received my Crossbreed SuperTuck for the S&W M&P today. I have worn it since I opened the mail. So far I am very pleased with it. I can't wait until it is broken in. I wore it to Texas Roadhouse tonight and found it very comfortable. I am wearing it with the M&P 9c tonight and I will try my full size M&P later this week.

Thanks,
Darin Reiss

#7 ·
Get yourself an Mtac by Comp Tac and you won't have this problem of the exposed muzzle. If you want to carry more than one length slide, order the one for the longer slide. My G19 and G 26 work great in the same holster made for the G19. The muzzle end of the holster is not open, so the gun's muzzle can't be pushed up and allow the gun to rise in the holster.

#8 ·
No offense to Big E, but he is the first person to ever have this issue that I know of. There are currently thousands (no exagerration, we ship 75-100 rigs a week) of CrossBreed rigs out there and Big E is the first to experience this that I know of. That's why we have the two-week-try-it free gaurantee, which we happily honored for Big E. If it doesn't work for you, let us know within two weeks and we'll buy it back. Including shipping and no 20% restocking fee (mtac).

Then there's the lifetime warranty, even after the two weeks, if anything goes wrong with your holster, we'll repair or replace it.

#10 ·
I have to say that I have never had that issue with the Crossbreed. I wear mine a fair amount. Eveyone is built different - so the bending and so forth and depending on the position carried - a lot of factors. But at least one can get their money back - including shipping. Not too bad a deal to be able to essentially try one for free.

#11 ·
Got my CROSSBREED HOLSTER yesterday. Tried it out as soon as I could and found a couple of minor glitches.

First the "J" Hooks I asked for and were indeed mounted as requested don't work like the ones on my Blade-Tech IWB. These keep slipping down dragged by the weight of the Sig P226 for which I purchased the holster. I just now changed to the "C" Clips. The next thing that I discovered is that With the rig in place (with the original "J" hooks yesterday) and my belt cinched....the holster is waaaaay too TIGHT to allow any kind of draw without dislocating my shoulder. WTF, over?

FINALLY with the print was minimized under my UNtucked Polo shirt, I have no idea how it is supposed to be tucked in. I'll investigate this tonight and repost later.

#13 ·
Ha sounds familiar.:biggrin2:

I approached it this way.

Assemble your pants belt and holster before you put them on. It took awhile for me to get the position just right. Put on your pants with out the gun in the holster and then cinch everything down. Holster the weapon and then stuff your shirt down in your pants and between the holster and the waist line. :rofl: Easier said than done.

I was also able to tuck my shirt almost all the way in before holstering. Everything but around the holster. Then I would holster and tuck the shirt in the rest of the way. It takes a little rearranging to get a straight gig line and a smooth tuck job.

I also noticed that my belt really has to be cinched down tight to get a good result whether I was tucked or not.

Hope this helps.:bier:

#12 ·
Crossbreed

I just ordered one for my sp101. I think the design will distribute the weight of the Ruger (25 oz) very well. A buddy of mine has had one for over a year with NO complaints for his XD 9. I can't wait to try it with the 357.

packn

#15 ·
I've had a Crossbreed for a couple months now for my CDP. The only bitch I have about them is the clips. The j clips pull on your pants and the c clips do a number on your belt :mad: not to mention a 1 1/2" gun belt don't fit. I ordered standard clips from another maker and have loved it ever since.:banana:

Jim

#16 ·
And you, sir, are not the first person who has raised this issue. As you did, some folks even purchase clips from another maker to use on our holsters.
We feel this is an expense that our customers should not have to bear, and also a pretty good indication that our clips are not quite what folks want or need.

SOOOoooo ...we now have a new set of clips coming out, they should be available and shipping with all rigs within 2-3 weeks. Of course they will also be available for purchase at a very reasonable cost for anyone who currently has one of our holsters and would like to upgrade. Like all the rest of our products, they will be made in-house by us.

They will be very similiar to the "standard" clips of another maker and will offer easier on and off than a "j-hook" and the same level of support (on the belt) of a full loop clip.

Our original j-hooks and loop clips will still be available as well as a velcro clip for total clip concealment, but all holsters will ship with the new "Snap-Lok" clips as soon as we get them into production.

Thanks ' fer listenin'

#17 ·
With my Crossbreed, I ended up using the c-hook on the back part of the holster and the j-hook on the front part. This combo seems to give me the best of both worlds. It's easier to take on and off, and I get the added support of the rear c-hook.

I have no complaints with the holster at all. Just looking at the MTAC, it looks like the leather does not extend all the way up to cover the entire slide. Not a problem with my Supertuck. Maybe you MTAC guys could chime in on that.

In the meantime, Mark, you won't be seeing my holster in your UPS drop-off anytime soon. :banana:

#18 ·
Just wanted to add one more vote for Crossbreed. I've never had the issue described here, but then I carry a XD9 subcompact as well, so the slide is short.

I love my Crossbreed Supertuck and wear is constantly!

#19 ·
With the Crossbreed - or any holster - the C clips stink. The top part of the clip will pop behind the belt. Again for any model of holster the J clip will not support weight of the gun - it's all riding on the waist of the pants. Full loop, Velcro or snap over clips are the only way to go. I ordered the J clips with my Crossbreed :frown: . Yes, the clips are the biggest downside - but that is for all the holster makers. I have not seen one C or J clip that I have been satisfied with.

#20 ·
SOOOoooo ...we now have a new set of clips coming out, they should be available and shipping with all rigs within 2-3 weeks. Of course they will also be available for purchase at a very reasonable cost for anyone who currently has one of our holsters and would like to upgrade. Like all the rest of our products, they will be made in-house by us.
Thanks for responding Mark, responding to feedback is what turns a very good product into a great one. Let us know when the new clips come out and put me down for a set.

Jim

#21 ·
I'll be buying a set as well. I just got my Supertuck a couple of weeks ago, and I absolutely love it. Conceals my XD-9 Service perfectly. My only complaint about it was the clips, so these new clips sound like they'd solve my problem handily. As an aside...anyone know if a Supertuck made for an XD-9 could be used for an XD-45?

#22 ·
I just got my new holster and once I get the new clips that are coming soon I'll be happy as ever!!

I'm going to ask what may seem like a very stupid question, with the oval clips that came with it, do you have to thread the belt through them while you thread it through the loops on your pants? I haven't put these clips on in place of the j hooks yet, but just looking at them that seems to be the only way to put the holster on with them.

Anyway, I can't wait to get the new clips!

FMC

#24 ·
Just got my supertuck deluxe yesterday. I wore it about 3 hours yesterday and have had it on for over 5 hours today. I am using the C clips and have no complaints. I carry a S&W 642 so the muzzle does not extend enough to be a problem. I am very pleased with my supertuck and the great service (3 weeks exactly).
Reggie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.