Holster Suggestions for a G23

This is a discussion on Holster Suggestions for a G23 within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First I would like to say hi as a new member... I need a few nice looking holsters and belts for a G23 and am ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holster Suggestions for a G23

Holster Suggestions for a G23

First I would like to say hi as a new member...

I need a few nice looking holsters and belts for a G23 and am having a hard time with my decision on the holsters. (going with beltman belts)I want an open top OWB holster and am looking for specific suggestions for this particular gun. I need it kind quick and can't wait more than a month, or so.

Does anyone have experience with Kirkpatrick leather? I really like the looks of their Compact Under Cover model.

Thanks!

Steve

2. Remove Ads

I have not had any experience with Kirkpatrick. With OWB you will have a lot more viable options than IWB. There are several off the shelf makers that produce high quality leather, kydex and injection molded solutions. When carrying my Glock, I use the Blackhawk CQC w/Serpa. It comes with paddle or belt carry options right out of the box. I carry paddle - but did cut off the tab on the bottom portion of the paddle - it just makes removing the holster a little easier. It is an excellent holster. Bianchi makes some good leather holsters that can be had at most outdoor stores too. Highnoon has some in stock - but like any other custom maker - if they are not in stock - you will be waiting weeks if not months.

Is there a reason you are looking for OWB instead of IWB? I have a Milt Sparks Watch 6 for the Glock 23 only worn a few times. The wait for his stuff can be 3+ months but I'm looking to free up some scratch, so you could have this one in days if you so desire. If you decide you're interested in IWB, PM me.
    Never criticize a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes...that way, when you criticize him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

There are some REALLY good looking leather holsters out there - I won't bother mentioning K&D, Tucker, Mitch Rosen or others because you said you needed it fast.

So here's what you can do to have a good looking holster in less than two months. Order from a top notch custom Kydex maker - and judging from the photo below some Kydex makers really know their way around leather / exotic hides.

The above is a holster made for me by BearClaw Holsters for my 1911. They have some photos of leather overlays on their "standard option" page. ANY custom Kydex maker (I believe) can deliver a custom holster in your time frame - BearClaw Holsters is one of the few that has diversified into leathers / exotics.

Personally, I don't believe there is any off the shelf leather holster that I would consider good looking.

Galco "Concealable" owb. Very nice rig, and will be in stock. You could also try Jim Murnak at FIST, INC. Also like Don Hume's stuff.
    Last edited by jwhite75; August 20th, 2007 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Forgot suggestion
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    Galco "Concealable" owb. Very nice rig, and will be in stock. You could also try Jim Murnak at FIST, INC. Also like Don Hume's stuff.
    +1! I have several Galco Concealables... their great!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

For a quality holster delivered quickly....usually within a week, sometimes two.... look at Comp-Tec online http://www.comp-tac.com/ Highly recommend the CTAC and the MTAC for IWB. I haven't purchased any of thier OWB holsters but others here have and I haven't heard too many bad reviews.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    I Think Kramer Leather has good turn around time and their quality is Fantastic.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Thanks for the replies. I have tried IWB and just don't like it. I have an Alessi Talon for my 5" Kimber that I just can't get used to. It is listed right now for trade over in the FS section if anyone is interested.

The Galco is on my short list and I am going to look in to the other suggestions later on tonight.

Thanks again

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    If you need it quick & want leather, I'd suggest Galco & Gould & Goodrich.

The reason for G & G (I know, it's not a holster co. commonly talked about), is that I found it to be as good or better than a Galco Combat Master that I used to have. I've never had a Galco Concealable, so I can't comment on it. The G & G also has the added bonus of being less expensive.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

You also should consider Fist. http://www.fist-inc.com/holsters/holster/CATBELT.htm

There are a few recent threads w/ pics of Fist holsters that look outstanding. Great leather with quoted wait time of 3-5 weeks.

I carry a Glock Model 23 daily and I use a Galco Side Snap Scabbard. Very comfortable holster and easy to get on and off when you run into one of those pesky no carry signs or places.

Carries the gun a little lower than a high rise, but I can still cover it with most shirts without a problem.

For FAST ( month or less ), you'll need to go with the mass produced stuff, like Galco or Don Hume. Custom leather from the smaller makers will take some wait time. Same for the higher end larger producers Like Rosen or Sparks. You may find one of their stocking dealers that happens to have a holster in stock that suits you. If you want to try kydex, I'd highly recommend Comp Tec for FAST delivery, great service and excellent products. Love their MTac.

I'm currently using a Galco Concealable for my G19 and it seems to function just fine for an "off the shelf" fix. I picked mine up practically new in package from the classified section on another forum. Highly recommend you check the classifieds here and whatever other forums you might belong to for deals.
    Jack

Also try ebay there are some great deal on there if you take your time and look. I bought a Horseshoe (horsehide) belt holster
    129.00, and a Blade-Tech paddle holster for my g23 barely used for 20.00 for the pair plus shipping. Although that extremely good deal is rare .
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links