Ankle holster; deep concealment

This is a discussion on Ankle holster; deep concealment within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm thinking about buying a ankle holster to wear at work, being that i'm a construction manager i'm in an out of meetings, and sometimes ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ankle holster; deep concealment

Ankle holster; deep concealment

I'm thinking about buying a ankle holster to wear at work, being that i'm a construction manager i'm in an out of meetings, and sometimes become hands on when i make my rounds visiting my construction sites. Last week while i was helping with something my shirt was pulled up over the top of my gun lieving it exposed in a clipon inside paints holster. So I'm looking for deep concealment ,I don't want anyone at work knowing i'm carrying. I've never worn a ankle holster so i don't know much about' em, i carry a springfield subcompact xd 40. Any suggestions? Thanks
    Last edited by ultralite; August 22nd, 2007 at 04:23 PM.

2. Remove Ads

I've been carrying for some years now and I have tried all modes of carry. Ankle carry of my 442 is my favorite and most comfortable mode of carry. I have a custom leather rig for my G27 and I just picked up a Galco Ankle Glove open top for my 442.

I think that you may desire a custom rig like an Alessi or a Bulman for your XD. IMO, the weight of that gun will benefit from a leather setup since it rides much more securely. A gun like my Airweight can ride in anything since it's so light.

While I somewhat agree with most that will chime in soon about the "perils" of ankle carry and how primary guns should be carried about the waist. Ankle carry is a legit mode of carry. Just don't kid yourself and get an ankle and not practice with it. It needs a good run of initial break in training and general upkeep to be proficient. If you don't want to practice then don't carry this way.

Now I'll chime in and say that since you already carry IWB maybe your best route would be to inquire here about a quality IWB (if your clip-on isn't already) and a equal belt that supports it. If appendix carry works for you then you can carry in the most concealable IWB position. A quality holster is a must, how's the saying go "A real cowboy has a $5 horse and a $40 saddle"?
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

You didn't mention what your daily footwear is like. I find a leather ankle holster for a J-frame to be somewhat bulky for me when I try wearing it with hiking boots. I have better luck with an Uncle Mike's clip on holster stuck in the top of a pair of cowboy boots. Bonus points if the boots are low-top (such as Wellington-style).

YMMV,
    Herk

I wear cowboy boots now & then , for work i usually a low cut work boot. There,s a gun show in september near me, i believe go and see whats new, i may get a good quality leather IWB holster. that i can conceal a little better than my old uncle mikes sidekick, i don't want to spend money on a ankle holster and not like.

I usually carry a P99 compact in an IWB but when I want more concealment I have a Desantis ankle holster for it. Only problem with the ankle rig is that the P99c isn't exactly light so I find myself keeping the P99 on the waist and putting my P22 in the ankle holster if i'm looking for better concealment. I know a P22 isn't exactly a great defense weapon but it's better than nothing as far as i'm concerned. Best part of the ankle holster is that you can look down at any time to see if you're printing.

ultralite,

Stick around and see what the rest of the crowd says. A lot of people have ankle holsters and like it. I may just be contrarian.

Herk
    Last edited by Herknav; August 22nd, 2007 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Spelling

I like my Galco Glove ankle holster. Sometimes its all I can use - better to have a gun on the ankle than no gun at all....

Gun shows around here are usually not the place to find a quality holster. For IWB, I'd recommend the Comp Tec M Tac, very secure, comfortable and the gun rides tight against the body. Of course your concealment cover will need attention no matter what. I would suspect even an ankle holster can slide low, or have your pants bunch up on occasionally. An XD would be on the larger/ heavy side for a gun carried on the ankle, although I'm sure there are folks that can do so. You should practice, no mater what style carry you use. Especially with ankle carry, as it will be a bit more awkward to get to smoothly, while in a hurry.

Not a fan of ankle holsters..BUT!....having your gun with you is better than having nothing at all. I use my ankle holster on Sundays...

VIP Member
    I think the best ankle rig is made by Lou Alessi.

I have one for my Glock 27 and it works very well. It take a while to get used to it and then you forget it's there.

Ankle carry is my last choice for sure but it beats being unarmed!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I carry a Glock 26 in Disantis ankle rig from time to time. I really prefer my Smart Carry for deep concealment. For me the ankle is for long drives, and movies and such.

The only problem I have with ankle carry is that the pistol wobbles around a bit (well mine does anyway). Other wise it works pretty well.
    Dave

"When among wild beasts, if they menace you, be a wild beast."
    -Herman Melville

Senior Moderator
    Have you thought of SmartCarry or a tuckable holster?
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

SmartCarry is easier to move around in than you would think. Walk, stand, sit, squat, reach all without fear of revealing. Easier to get to than reaching for an ankle (at least for me). Go to the website and then see of you have anymore questions. Nice people to deal with and the turn around time is great.

Off topic - but hey palerider your sig should be "Reach for the Skyy".
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by semperfi.45 View Post
    Off topic - but hey palerider your sig should be "Reach for the Skyy".
    NICE!
    CARRY GUNS:
    S&W 638, Ruger LCP, Kimber Ultra CDP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links