upper body or under the arm pit holsters?

upper body or under the arm pit holsters?

This is a discussion on upper body or under the arm pit holsters? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Not sure if there is another name for em, but does anyone know of a good one? I cant use ankle holsters, and cant imagine ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: upper body or under the arm pit holsters?

Question upper body or under the arm pit holsters?

Not sure if there is another name for em, but does anyone know of a good one? I cant use ankle holsters, and cant imagine a inside the wasteband would be feasable for me.

Or, any opinions on those under armor style shirts with a sowed in sleeve for your gun?
    Cheers,

Johnny Rebel

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

You're talking about shoulder holsters. Try Galco, they have a great selection in stock. Out of curiosity, why would IWB not be feasable? There are many carry options, you just need to analyse your lifestyle/comfort/situation...etc. For example, I tend to wear a galco jackass in the winter because I find it more accessible with heavy/more concealable cover garments. In the summer, I usually go IWB or pocket. It also depends on your carry weapon. If you share more info you'll likely get better feedback. Good luck.-PA
    Never criticize a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes...that way, when you criticize him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

The 6 P's
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss-Poor Performance

No man who refuses to bear arms in defense of his nation can give a sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country" T. Roosevelt

good idea

ok, more info.

I've over 6'7" tall and a decent build. For work I have to dress biz casual, so pants and generally a polo shirt tucked in. Thats kind of why I figured the IWB wouldnt work, plus I dont know how comfortable it would be. Also, I spend alot of time sitting so I would think that an ankle holster is out because the pant legs creep up some when you sit.

I would like to carry my Glock 30, but its kinda heavy and instead I was kicking around my Ruger .357 revolver, size wise they are about the same, but saftey is also an issue. Eventually was thinking about getting the new really small Springfield 9 mill. Any thoughts?

Are shoulder holsters popular or is IWB more handy?
    Cheers,

Johnny Rebel

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Good god you're huge! Ok, back on track. I don't see how a shoulder rig would help in your situation either. My opinion would be to pocket carry a small revo. Smith 642 or 640 with boot grips maybe? I pocket carry my model 60 all the time which is roughly the same weight as the 640 (essentially the same gun except with a hammer) and I have no problems at all. I wouldnt want to go smaller than .357 for self defense (that's just me!), but .38+p pack a serious punch too. You're right, ankle carry is out because in the time it will take for you to bend down and draw your weapon, the earth will have completed a full rotation! (that was a tall joke). IWB is probably more popular, but that doesn't matter, your lifestyle and situation dictate your carry style, not popularity. You could try a comp tac tuckable and see how that works for you. This IWB holster basically allows you to wear IWB and tuck your shirt in over your gun. It doesn't work well on my body type, but it may work for you.
    Never criticize a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes...that way, when you criticize him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

Very few people can comfortably carry in a shoulder holster. Most find it extremely painful in shoulders & back after several hours.

IWB is more comfortable and easier to use. Easier to conceal than a shoulder holster. In business casual with polo tucked in how do you propose to wear a shoulder rig?

Sevral tuckable IWB holsters available that will work in that attire.

Quote Originally Posted by JohhnyRebel View Post
    Are shoulder holsters popular or is IWB more handy?
    IWB is definitely more common than a shoulder holster. From what you've said, I think a 'tuckable' IWB holster may be the way to go when you're at work. A tuckable holster lets you tuck your shirt in between the holster and your pants. It's slower to draw from than an untucked holster, because you have to really jerk the shirt up to get it out of the way, but it's a good choice for business casual environments. Away from work you can just untuck the shirt and have it hanging over the holster or tuck it in inside the holster and wear an open front cover garment.

I wouldn't worry about the Glock being too heavy. Get yourself a good IWB holster and you'll hardly notice it. I carry my Glock 21 sixteen hours a day without a problem, and it's heavier than your G30.

Senior Moderator
    Try a tuckable our look at Smartcarry.

I dress business casual and have found that Smartcarry really works for me.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Quote Originally Posted by JohhnyRebel View Post
    Or, any opinions on those under armor style shirts with a sowed in sleeve for your gun?
    Johnny,

I am not sure anyone has answered this question yet.

Look at the following thread...
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ad.php?t=26845

Lots of good information about UnderCoverComfort holster shirts.
    Take a look at them.

They will not work well with a polo shirt in my estimation, but button up shirts, they work great and are VERY concealable.

Good luck.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

I have both but use the IWB almost every day. For IWB I recomend the Tucker Gunleather IWB Tuckable. http://www.tuckergunleather.com
    For the shoulder hoster I use a Andrews Leather Monarch rig. Another excellent choice.

http://www.andrewsleather.com
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

grazie!

Very helpful. I will check out the various styles and report back on which one sweeps me off my feet.
    Cheers,

Johnny Rebel

M2
    I wore a horizontal shoulder holster for four months in Bosnia, carrying a Beretta M9 (92F). It had its advantages, getting in and out of HMMWVs and SUVs was a lot easier than the traditional hip holster, which would catch on the center consol and jack the butt of the weapon right into the bottom of your rib cage. Big time ouch!

However, right now the "Don Johnson"-style horizontal shoulder holsters ahve come under fire in Iraq and Afghanistan, mainly because it points the weapon at the person behind the holder. And to be honest I bought an Uncle Mike's vertical shoulder holster as I wasn't too thrilled with my .45 pointing at my son in the back seat! The draw is not as natural as the horizontal holster, but as I normally wear a IWB and only use the shoulder holster on long drives and motorcycle rides, it is tolerable. However, as stated, the waistband/belt holsters are a lot more comfortable, as long as you aren't jumping in and out of vehicles all day!

Cheers! M2

This might work for you as well, I have seen some good reviews, though I have yet to pick one up myself.

http://www.gunnersecurity.com/holster-shoulder.html
    "You can't shake the devils hand and say you were only kidding"

Check out SmartCarry. I can sit at my desk all day long with no problem.

Almost all of my holsters are Fist, Inc...(see Related Links)...
    Most of my Fist holsters are IWB, but I do have one vertical shoulder holster...only use it on my Harley (but not often)...
    I highly prefer my IWB to the shoulder holster routine (which is not uncomfortable)...but that's just me!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links