how to carry while backpacking

This is a discussion on how to carry while backpacking within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know you said concealed, but here is an idea that just might work. This guy is up in Alaska, and I just ordered something ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: how to carry while backpacking

EW3
    I know you said concealed, but here is an idea that just might work. This guy is up in Alaska, and I just ordered something from him. It looks like this setup is popular up there where they have lots of bears...

http://simplyrugged.com/index.html
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    +1 on the Safepacker. Not only can it be mounted on the packs waist belt, but I would imagine it can also be mounted on your left shoulder strap allowing you basically an easy access chest mounted holster. (Might have to improvise some attaching to the strap, ie, tape or bungie... but what self-respecting backpacker doesn't modify their attachment points?)

Not sure if you could get one in time for this trip, but certainly worth looking into for future trips. It also works well in the car mounted to your seat belt, so it would get used more than just for those occasional camping/backpacking trips.
    It works great with my camera bags, nobody ever looks twice at it.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Went I out in the woods I regularly carry on my weak side. I've found that when I NEED my pistol quickly (poisonous snakes, etc.) I seemed to always already have my strong hand tied-up doing something ELSE (hanging-on, balancing myself, carrying something, etc.). Weak side draw & fire is faster than completely re-configuring myself to free-up my strong hand. Just a thought...
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    When I am Hunting/Trekking out and about I usually carry my G20 on a drop leg holster, which I have found to be very comfortable.

I have also concealed carry in my camelbak Transformer pack in the spare mag compartment located in the small of the back area. The compartments are easily reached with either hand without having to remove my pack, and there is enough cushioning there that if I were to fall or simply lie down on my back I don't worry about injury or discomfort.
    Last edited by SonofASniper; August 23rd, 2007 at 12:01 PM. Reason: spelling
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

very good ideas. thanks guys!
    unfotunatly im leaving friday, which means i dont have time to go out and buy something new. I currently carry IWB 3:30.
    and yea anything around the waist area just wont work with a backpacking pack. i like the idea of having some kind of case which I can strap onto the bottom backpack strap that goes around the waist. Ill have to look around the house and see if i can find anything like that that will work

Lead Moderator
    Maybe a cheap waistpack worn at the front or side might work too.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Check into a small camera bag/utility bag that can be strapped to your left shoulder strap. Many backpackers carry a camera there anyhow. You can always additionally lash it over the bag to your shoulder strap to stop the swinging around that sometimes happens with heavy equipment. Unfortunately most of the utility cases have zippers, but it would still be quicker and more comfortable that some other options.
    I'll keep my freedom, my liberty, and my guns. You can keep the change.

Not sure if you'd like this idea, but have you thought of a concealment vest with the gun pocket like 5.11 makes? Backpacks with the bottom belt make even OCing hard to do. I figure when I start biking again (I also carry a pack on me when I bike) I'll be picking up a 5.11 mesh vest.
    SA XD-45 | Bersa Thunder 380 | Mossberg 935 Mag 12ga | WASR-10 - AK-47
    NRA | GoA | CLUB 1852 | PAFOA

Pennsylvania Citizens Defense League

+1 on the Safepacker. I carry mine in my bike's saddlebags, in a Safepacker. Nice carry option.

I have a fanny pack holster for my Taurus .44 mag. snub that I wear in the front above my hipbelt. Mine even has a water bladder to make it even more useful.
    Attached Images
    "To be prepared for war is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace" George Washington

Depends on the gun. Pocket works well, mounting a holster on the backpack strap or waist belt and also depends on the backpack.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    Maby a smal gun in a pair of cargo pants thats what I use like a Airweight or Glock 27,26,33

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    I carry non concealed, but us a drop leg holster. Any decent backpack belt strap will ride right about where a hip holster will fit. The safepacker looks like a good option. Shoulder rigs are difficult a access the gun.
    yeah i had the same issues...i tried my shoulder holster(normally for long road trips), with the backpack and it definitely wasn't working either. ended up doing the drop leg holster myself for my beretta. Problem now though is I carry exclusively 1911 these days so I think I need to find me a new drop holster for my 1911s. Although, I have thought about attaching a cheaping holster myself to either the wide hip belt or the front shoulder strap...
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
    I am thinking about getting a camelbak demon.

LA police gear looks to have a good price.

http://www.lapolicegear.com/camelbakdemon.html
    How are you supposed to be able to get to that quick enough? It looks like it's built into the bottom of the backpack and velcros closed. How do you get that un-velcro'd one handed while wearing the pack and retrieving your gun?

....Or am I missing something obvious again?
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Senior Member Array High Altitude's Avatar
    You reach around behind your back, pull the flap down and take the gun out. You could also do it two handed. One to open, other to draw.

The compartment is directly behind your lower back/waist.

Like anything, practice, practice, practice............

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links