how to carry while backpacking

This is a discussion on how to carry while backpacking within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yes, I also was looking at that Camelbak Demon photo and wondering how accessible that is. It looks like the gun slides in as though ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: how to carry while backpacking

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Yes, I also was looking at that Camelbak Demon photo and wondering how accessible that is. It looks like the gun slides in as though it's a slice of bread in a horizontal slot toaster. What keeps it from moving around? But more important, how does one effectively put space between himself and the actual pack, which may be loaded with gear and weight, to clear the gun out of there?

I'm surprised to not have seen mention of Smartcarry / Thunderwear systems. They are another alternative. I wouldn't want to wear them on an extended hike, but for moderate lengths they might be good.

2. Remove Ads

the top part of my backpack is like a fanny pack so i used that and straped it to my left side. worked great. to hear about the rest of my weekend see "my wonderful weekend" post

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Just a newbie here, but I heartily agree with those who like the Safepacker. It was originally developed to be compatible with backpacks and other gear used by high-altitude SAR types.
    Last edited by Rexster; August 28th, 2007 at 02:54 PM. Reason: sentence structure

Note to the new CCP (and congrats):

"The Safepackerô was originally designed to completely protect a firearm and reload for armed mountain rescue teams ..."

That's an excerpt from the Wilderness Tactical site's marketing copy.

This pack is well made and obviously well-suited for packing a gun, especially in harsh environments. Afterall, that's what it was specifically designed for. Just as a hip holster is designed to carry a gun. But since you mentioned CONCEALED I'd consider a known recreational brand of fanny pack over that thing anyday. Yes, fanny-packs are, for good reason, denounced for screaming "I'm packing." But while you're hiking, even with a backpack, they don't scream this at all. Fanny pack off the trail = gun packer. Fanny pack while hiking = nature boy; moreso anyway than something that was designed specifically for carrying a gun. We're talking perception and blending in when we consider concealed. The more it jives with peoples innocent perceptions, the more concealed it is. I live in the Cascade Mountains and hike ALL the time. I carry a .44 mag or a 10mm in my big backpack or small daypack in case I have no choice against a bear (they've always just mozied off when they saw me, though -- which is good because you don't want to shoot a nearby bear with a pistol -- even a .44mag--unless you absolutely have to... dogs that bark are the best and safest defense going for nearby bears... wish I had one). For social concerns, in warm weather, I either use a fanny pack or use a pocket holster in baggy cargo-style hiking shorts. In cold weather, I don't like to wear inside my clothes due to body moisture and salt and will opt for a pocket holster in a jacket pocket, or a fanny pack.

In all fairness to the SafePacker, it would likely protect your gun better than a fanny pack or any other kind of accesible carry method if you rolled down a hill or fell into a river. It's rugged and lined with neoprene rubber. Based on what it was specifically designed for, my guess is that it's hard to beat.

Survival Sheath chest rig.

Also available in butt-down configuration.

VIP Member
    Well, it's Friday and you must be on your way. You'll have to give us a report when you get back!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Senior Member Array High Altitude's Avatar
    I have thought about getting one of these and then putting some type of cloth covering to conceal the firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by AgentX View Post
    Survival Sheath chest rig.

Also available in butt-down configuration.

If you can't wear it under your shirt (as if you're not wearing a button-front shirt), you might be better served with some kind of enclosed cordura chest rig. Might not even look wierd, as lots of outdoor types carry two-way radios and such in chest rigs. Of course, a lot of people will probably ask you what's in it, if you hike in places where you see a lot of other people...

A custom military-style gear maker like SOE gear (expensive, but super-high quality) or Coyote Tactical (my favorite...great and talented young guy who will work with you on anything, has extremely fast turnaround, and great quality) could possibly hook you up with something like this.

If you'd like Coyote Tactical's contact info, PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Well, it's Friday and you must be on your way. You'll have to give us a report when you get back!
    .. that was last friday.
    i already did a post on how i went

I'd carry across the chest, tanker style, or use a crossdraw.

Safepacker and Demon pack

I do a lot of backwoods work and backpacking. I have both a Demon backpack and a Safepacker. The Demon is really good as a day pack but is too small for backpacking. It is really neat, though. Easy to get to the gun and it is hidden very well. It just looks like another Camelback, so it doesn't draw attention.

The Safepacker is my choice for extended backpacking, as it attaches to the waist strap of the pack (even very wide ones) and just looks like another gear pocket. Both use the concept of "concealed in plain sight".

I use a BlackHawk EOD vest with a Hydrastorm 100 oz bladder in the pocket in the back panel. The magazine pouches easily allow me to carry a 4"XD-9 with an M3 on it and a spare magazine. Other pockets allow carry of my leatherman, flashlight, poncho, personals pouch with toothbrush, toothpaste, sunscreen, DEET, Tylenol, hand sanitizer, etc, a digital camera with a little tripod with flexible legs, compass, cell phone, beef jerky, trail mix or trail bars, Gatorade mix and blah blah blah.

Another advantage is I never take the vest off, so my weapon is always right where I need it, and if I get separated from my main pack I still have a good deal of gear with me should I need to call on it.
    Jeff
    Preparing the way...Straightening the path.

Do you wear facepaint and a helmet too? I bet that outfit's handy, mall shopping! (joking)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links