Pocket holster recommendations

This is a discussion on Pocket holster recommendations within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Forget the Nemesis! Desantis came out with a mod called the Super Fly. Basically a Nemesis with an extra flap on the outside to completely ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pocket holster recommendations

Forget the Nemesis! Desantis came out with a mod called the Super Fly. Basically a Nemesis with an extra flap on the outside to completely cover the gun for no printing. Flap is velcro'd on, so it's reversible for lefties! The but of my gun always stuck out with my Nemesis. The flap does make the whole package a little thicker, but much more like a wallet printing.

2. Remove Ads

The Nemesis has worked very well for my PM9, the Super Fly looks that much better...I've had the Nemesis for 3 years, guess I'll have to use it more to wear it out!

I've got 3 pocket holsters for my P3AT. Mika is my favorite with the Nemesis not far behind. The Uncle Mike's works adequately, does nothing in stock form to reduce printing--Mostly a problem when sitting, but I noticed it in a place where it would have been awkward to explain.

I generally carry an Airweight in a Mika. If I stumble across a Nemesis in person for the Airweight I'll probably try it, but I'm not particularly motivated to look for or special order one. I've also got an Uncle Mike's for the Airweight. Adequate as a temporary, while I was waiting for the Mika.

Nemisis here as well, somebody would really have to be staring at my "package" to make out I have a gun!! The truth is people are not going around thinking you have a gun on you!! It may feel like that when you first start carrying but after 11 years I am convinced people don't have a clue. I even OC from time to time and most have no idea.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Quote Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
    Forget the Nemesis! Desantis came out with a mod called the Super Fly. Basically a Nemesis with an extra flap on the outside to completely cover the gun for no printing. Flap is velcro'd on, so it's reversible for lefties! The but of my gun always stuck out with my Nemesis. The flap does make the whole package a little thicker, but much more like a wallet printing.
    Yup, much more concealable than the holster I commented about in the post above. Also, what color grip is that on the P3AT? OD green?

It's OD green, color is washed out a bit in the photo. BTW, I took off the stainless belt clip. Never used it and the bolt kept coming loose after firing, even after some locktite type treatment. Just got in the way of holstering anyway.

I also like the Nemesis, but that new Super Fly looks great. I'm going to a gun show tomorrow and would like to see one up close. If the price is decent it may have to follow me home.

I have 3 guns I use for pocket carry. I have Mika holsters for all 3. They don't print, they cover the trigger, and they stay in the pocket. That's all they need to do for me. For $22.00 shipped, I have not had the urge to look further.
    Yo Macklin, great party, but no whiskey. We go home now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
    I also like the Nemesis, but that new Super Fly looks great. I'm going to a gun show tomorrow and would like to see one up close. If the price is decent it may have to follow me home.
    I liked my Nemesis better for comfort and easier draws , but the SF conceals a LOT better. It's fatter in the pocket due to the extra flap wrapping around the end. Would have been a better design if it hinged at the BOTTOM. They could have even had the velcro on the side instead of the bottom to minimize total height. The bottom hinge would allow for easier draws.

I like the Pocket Max from El Paso Saddlery (www.epsaddlery.com)-roughout horsehide with a small tip at the front to help keep the holster in your pocket on the draw-works good for my Mod. 60 S&W-give it a look.

I used a Nemesis style DeSantis with my PF-9 for a while, but recently replaced it with a kydex Grandfather Oak Pocket Companion XL (www.grandfatheroak.com).

It has noticably less bulk than the DeSantis, which results in even less of a pistol shaped pocket bulge. Retention of the holster in the pocket when the pistol is drawn is much much much better than the DeSantis, which would sometimes pull the pocket inside out when coming out along with the pistol. The Pocket Companion stays put & accomodates reholstering without a problem. It was $20 delivered.

I ordered a right handed version, which has a slight curve to match the curve of the thigh.

The bottom is left with a slightly open edge. It should make clearing any lint accumulation much simpler than if it were tightly sealed.

Nick

Nick

Did you have to have to wait 4-6 weeks for your holster. Their website says it is a stock item. Just wondering.

ckd
    First pick DeSantis Nemisis, thinner than my Mika which I also like. Will be picking up a DeSantis Super Fly which looks promising, possibly better than the Nemisis at $10 more.

Routinely carry j-frames, PM9 and P3AT.

Quote Originally Posted by utarch00 View Post
    Nick

Did you have to have to wait 4-6 weeks for your holster. Their website says it is a stock item. Just wondering.

Actually it was about 7 weeks before I got it (my order date was 7/19 & I received it 9/8). They had a burglary in their shop sometime after I placed my order & that set them back a bit. They may well be stocking them now, though.

Nick

Above: BearClaw Holsters pocket holster.

Another good pocket holster is from Mika - he's already been covered in the thread. The BearClaw is innovative in that the thin kydex allows a one-handed reholster so you can keep your eyes on what you are focused on. The overlay keeps the holster from moving around in your pocket. Mika is innovative in that he has a soft holster that draws moisture away from your gun. I believe Mika and BearClaw to be two of the more innovative pocket holsters out there - as far as re-thinking the idea goes. Your standard 'been around forever' leather pocket holster isn't bad, either.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links