Pocket holster recommendations

This is a discussion on Pocket holster recommendations within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I use a Mika or a Don Hume. I used to have a PCS, those are great! You can get one at Lightening Arms Sports. ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pocket holster recommendations

I use a Mika or a Don Hume.

I used to have a PCS, those are great! You can get one at Lightening Arms Sports. Just Google "Lightening Arms Sports" and you will find a link.

I stupidly traded the PCS. Nothing wrong with the ones I use either, just liked the PCS.

Biker

2. Remove Ads

I recently puchased a Ron Graham "Cookie" holster for my 380 acp Guardian. Waist of money!! With the Nemsis the gun slides out of the holster way before it ever reaches the mouth of the pocket. With the cookie, and I believe any pocket holster made of leather" the holster fits so snug you either have to press the holster down with your thumb or prior it off against your leg. The basic nature of a leather holster is that the leather conforms to every contour of the gun, this hugs the gun and keeps the gun stationary in the holster. This type of fit is necessary in a OWB or IWB, but not exactly what you want in a pocket holster. At least I got a good deal on the "Cookie".
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Another happy Mika owner here....it just works so well for my j frame.

There are many good pocket holsters out there. I won't know for awhile as long as my Mika keeps doing such a fine job.

VIP Member
    33 posts and no one has mentioned K&D. Well I'll remedy that. For pocket carry I haven't found anything better than a K&D Pocket Defender. I used a Nemesis until I got my Pocket Defender. The Nemesis worked fine, but there is no comparison between it and the Pocket Defender. I have had my K&D in my pocket 16 to 18 hours per day everyday for over a year and it is still perfect. Somedays everything I had on was wet, but the Pocket Defender took the abuse and just shrugged it off. You owe it to yourself to check out the K&D Pocket Defender.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by S&W642CT&G19 View Post
    Google the following Robert Mika . He make a holster for pocket carry that is out of this world and the price is great. He may have a 4-6 back log . But I assure you it's worth the wait.
    After reading all the rave reviews, the above sums it up for me 2. It
    took 4wks. from order to my door step, along with an email to let me know it was mailed and a request for me to let him know when I received it.
    How is that for service and concern? Mika - a good man with a great product.
    LIVE FREE OR DIE

This is the PCS I have in my pocket now. Would not probably be pocketable for something as large as the M85 in this configuration though... but it works real well with the Seecamp as its much smaller. Even small enough to carry the spare mag like this, yet be no larger than any other Pocket holster set up.

+1 desantis nemesis
    The outside is like fly paper, and it really says in your pocket. They are like $10.

F4i
    Quote Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
    With the cookie, and I believe any pocket holster made of leather" the holster fits so snug you either have to press the holster down with your thumb or prior it off against your leg. The basic nature of a leather holster is that the leather conforms to every contour of the gun, this hugs the gun and keeps the gun stationary in the holster. This type of fit is necessary in a OWB or IWB, but not exactly what you want in a pocket holster.
    Not necessarily true about a leather pocket holster. I have a few from JS Holsters (P3ATs and a Kahr PM9) that are leather with the rough side out. I think of them more like a well broken in baseball glove. They were tight at first, but broke in quickly and nicely. I used the "pistol in a ziplock baggie" method of breaking with a very lightly moistened holster. Only took about a day and a half...

They're more like a custom fitted leather "pouch". Not too expensive and very fast shipping.

I reckon I should have clarified my statement, there are a few companies, individuals, that make a pouch type leather holsters that will work for pocket carry, however I stand by what I said about holsters that are formed to the contourers of the gun, these simply hold the gun to snug for pocket carry. The needs are totally different from belt to pocket carry and what works for one doesn't for the other. This is why you can't have to many holsters!!

A holster like this will work fine for pocket carry

While something like this will fit so snug it will slow the draw considerably.

Of course this is my opinion as to what I have found, you may have a different opinion or experience.
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

F4i

While something like this will fit so snug it will slow the draw considerably.

Of course this is my opinion as to what I have found, you may have a different opinion or experience.
    The only problem with the first holster is it still prints "GUN", especially in thin dress-type pants. I prefer pocket holsters with a flat "front out" panel so, at worst, a rectangle and not a gun shape prints...like the second one. The panels are usually "fold outward/away" and do not hinder draw at all.

Make on yourself for that custom fit.

I made this for my KT P3AT.
    Don't be a fool and die for your country. Let the other sonofabitch die for his.

George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by F4i View Post
    The only problem with the first holster is it still prints "GUN", especially in thin dress-type pants. I prefer pocket holsters with a flat "front out" panel so, at worst, a rectangle and not a gun shape prints...like the second one. The panels are usually "fold outward/away" and do not hinder draw at all.

I think I am going to back out of this thread. The above pics were not posted as recommendations for pocket carry. I was explaining how the looser fitting pouch type holster (which I Mika and Nemisis is) will provide a much faster draw because it is not made to hug the contours of the gun, like the second holster. If you really think the gun will slide right out of a formed holster like the one on the bottom you are kidding yourself. As I said I have a Ron Graham "Cookie" mine has the removable flap that snaps on as well as belt loops, it works great for belt carry, but not for pocket.
    Listen, buy and use what you want, I was simply trying to post my findings and save you some $$, but obviously my point has been lost somewhere.
    NCHornet
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

F4i
    ...and I believe any pocket holster made of leather the holster fits so snug you either have to press the holster down with your thumb or prior it off against your leg.
    Then you should have said custom fitted/molded leather pocket holsters out right, which you did not so, hence the confusion.

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    +1 desanto

I use an uncle mikes size 4 for my kahr pm9, its works great, does what its supposed to and stays in pocket during the draw. And i spent 10 bucks on it, si if it does start to wear out, its not gonna suck to replace.
    كافر(Infidel)
    He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146
    German philosopher (1844 - 1900)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links