Crossbreed vs. MTAC

Crossbreed vs. MTAC

This is a discussion on Crossbreed vs. MTAC within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have had my Crossbreed for several weeks now. I love the functionality and comfort of the Super Tuck Deluxe - comes up just a ...

Thread: Crossbreed vs. MTAC

Crossbreed vs. MTAC

I have had my Crossbreed for several weeks now. I love the functionality and comfort of the Super Tuck Deluxe - comes up just a little short on the clips - so I replaced them with some from another vendor. I use the Crossbreed for my Glock. I was looking for an IWB for my Kel-Tec PF9 and at the time Mark was not producing one for the PF9. So I went with the C.T.A.C. from Comp-Tac. It did not take me long to realize the CTAC would not work for me. The lack of any type of backing wreaks havoc on the skin. It concealed fine - just not comfortable. So I emailed them and they suggested the MTAC for which they just started making a PF9 version. So I opted for that. I just got it in today. The holster is well crafted; it has two pieces of leather. The 2nd piece is to cover up the hardware/items that make the MTAC shells interchangeable. The fact that I can have interchangeable shells for different guns could be a plus. But down to the hard facts. It is bulkier than the Crossbreed. Carry position is limited because the MTAC is not that flexible. I first thought I would have to break it in - but you will sacrifice some in flexibility with the MTAC due to the interchangeability feature. It's not a huge issue except for those that like to carry at 3:00 or 3:30. Once you venture past these carry points the flexibility issue becomes moot. Clips - I ordered this MTAC with the standard and a set of Velcro clips. The standard clips on the MTAC function a little better than the full or oval clips that came with the Crossbreed. Comfort - The Crossbreed wins out here. Maybe the MTAC might become more comfortable over time (break in), the extra thickness = less comfort. Over all I give the MTAC a B+ and the Super Tuck Deluxe an A. Both stand behind their products with an initial return period - Crossbreed even credits the shipping. Comp-Tac has excellent order status updates. In my opinion you will be ok with either one - but for me I would have rather had another CB super tuck. Oh well, I have a few more pistols in need of a holster.

PICS!
    Why is it that you always find things at the last place you looked?
    Because when you find something-you stop looking-Mooch

Can't speak for the Crossbreed, although it seems like a fine holsters. But I really like my MTAC. I carry at 4:30 so I find it just fine. I can see that the MTAC may not work for those who carry at around 3:00 position. Thanks for the comparison.

Flyboy

Thanks for the report, have you tried Tucker’s “The Answer” ?

I ordered one last week and almost pulled the trigger on an MTAC this morning, but I figured patience might be a virtue and decided to read up some more.

I then discovered the Crossbreed while perusing this informative site.

Recently I purchased a 1911 4” Kimber Compact CDP, I’ve tried the VMII and it doesn’t appear to be a long term solution for me, because it slips and sags due to smooth, slippery leather and my old carcass, where the belly is starting to protrude and the rear is starting to shrink…and I just noticed I don’t have hips, but I do have some good 1.5” gun belts, several.

Aside from the “Answer” being almost twice the cost and a 12 or so week wait do you have any comments regarding comfort and conealability?

VIP Member
    The crossbreed super tuck deluxe for the 1911 is a slide, so my 3" Kimber and 4 1/4" commander both work. Mark is fast and inexpensive and gives great service. I like the tucking clips on my VMII and the velcro clips on my CTAC for stealth during the heat of the summer. With a lose t-shirt, sweater, or open front shirt, jacket, or coat, the visibility of clips is a non issue. Tucking anything over the gun slows down the draw too much and makes the smart carry a faster option. One solution for tucking is to raise the shirt tail to the belt line and blouse the shirt over the gun, tucking only a small part of the blouse into the clips. For me, IWB is less bulky and more secure than OWB, even in winter, and the crossbreed is the most comfortable when broken in. IMO the leather that protects the skin from the grip should be raised, so the thumb won't get caught over it during a speed draw. Otherwise, if you wear a shirt between the gun and skin, the leather can be trimmed off to give unrestricted access to the grip.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

I have a Crossbreed SuperTuck for my PM9. I would order another in a heartbeat. It is very comfortable, and holds the gun in tight. I did order a set of the J clips for it. I thought it would make it a little easier to get the holster off, and on. It did, and it works well on jeans, but I tried it on a pair of Dockers, and the waistband is not stiff enough to support the weight of the gun, and the hook part of the J clips kept slipping down below my belt. Ended up putting the clips back on that came with it.
    Yo Macklin, great party, but no whiskey. We go home now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jitterbug View Post
    Flyboy

Thanks for the report, have you tried Tucker’s “The Answer” ?

I ordered one last week and almost pulled the trigger on an MTAC this morning, but I figured patience might be a virtue and decided to read up some more.

I then discovered the Crossbreed while perusing this informative site.

Recently I purchased a 1911 4” Kimber Compact CDP, I’ve tried the VMII and it doesn’t appear to be a long term solution for me, because it slips and sags due to smooth, slippery leather and my old carcass, where the belly is starting to protrude and the rear is starting to shrink…and I just noticed I don’t have hips, but I do have some good 1.5” gun belts, several.

Aside from the “Answer” being almost twice the cost and a 12 or so week wait do you have any comments regarding comfort and conealability?
    Tucker Leather the Answer is one I haven't tried. I have read great things about it. I have a few more autos needing a holster - it's hard for me to spend extra $$ on the Answer when I know the Crossbreed works. But you never know, I like to try different things. I have a friend that has the VM2 - he swears by it & wears it daily. The VM2 was not for me. I will get some pics & get them posted.

Links