Is anyone actually on schedule ???

This is a discussion on Is anyone actually on schedule ??? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I ordered a custom Laredo Defender in x-draw for my Kimber and was quoted 14-16 weeks. The only other maker that would do this for ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Is anyone actually on schedule ???

I ordered a custom Laredo Defender in x-draw for my Kimber and was quoted 14-16 weeks. The only other maker that would do this for me was Del Fatti, and he quoted me 18 months. Placed my order with Kevin about 8/6 or so, should have it by beginning of December. I got a full rig (holster, belt, and mag pouch) for a great price. If the product is as good as what people here say, he will have a lot of repeat business from me.

2. Remove Ads

I guess we could all try rolling our own, huh? That would fill in the time during the wait.

Actually, there are some leather working websites out there that give pretty good instructions, and, I suspect that the basic tools and a couple of pieces of leather could be procured for the price of a custom holster. All of the custom guys must have started somewhere, no?

Whatcha think?

Anyone made their own custom leather holster?

Photos?
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by TexasGeezer View Post
    I guess we could all try rolling our own, huh? That would fill in the time during the wait.

Actually, there are some leather working websites out there that give pretty good instructions, and, I suspect that the basic tools and a couple of pieces of leather could be procured for the price of a custom holster. All of the custom guys must have started somewhere, no?

Whatcha think?

Anyone made their own custom leather holster?

Photos?

That's how I got started. Contact Tandy Leather and ask them about a book "How to Make Holsters" by Al Stohlman. It is very basic and somewhat outdated, but is still the best starting point that I can think of. Good luck!

Here's a question...

Why is it that these internet forums have become the pulpit whereby to bash custom holster-makers turnaround times, and yet no one bashes custom gunsmiths turnarounds???
    I currently have 3 pistols out for custom work with 3 very well known gunsmiths (who will not be named because I have no beef with them). One was just sent out last month, but one is 3 months beyond the quoted delivery date, the other is almost 6 months beyond the anticipated date. And they have my gun and my money (because no custom gunsmith will work without pay up front).
    Have I called or e-mailed to check status? No...
    Have I called or e-mailed to complain? No...
    Why? Because I know the nature of the business and I know calling will not get my pistol done any sooner, and I know I will be more than satisfied with the final product when i do receive it.

Some customers take it as a personal insult when they don't get their product on time, like we're holding out or something. Trust me, I would love to be able to increase my production 10-fold without compromising quality. I do not charge up-front, and I'm not independantly wealthy. Don't you think I'd love to get your holster done and get your money in my bank account as much as you'd like to receive it?? Hell, if I could make 10 holsters a day instead of 10 holsters a week I'd be doing just that and be rich doing it! Now don't you think I would if I physically could??
    "He who makes things with his hands is a laborer, he who makes things with his hands and his head is a craftsman, he who makes things with his hands, his head, and his heart is an artist."
    www.garritysgunleather.com

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Garrity View Post
    Why is it that these internet forums have become the pulpit whereby to bash custom holster-makers turnaround times, and yet no one bashes custom gunsmiths turnarounds???
    I currently have 3 pistols out for custom work with 3 very well known gunsmiths (who will not be named because I have no beef with them). One was just sent out last month, but one is 3 months beyond the quoted delivery date, the other is almost 6 months beyond the anticipated date. And they have my gun and my money (because no custom gunsmith will work without pay up front).
    Have I called or e-mailed to check status? No...
    Have I called or e-mailed to complain? No...
    Why? Because I know the nature of the business and I know calling will not get my pistol done any sooner, and I know I will be more than satisfied with the final product when i do receive it.

Some customers take it as a personal insult when they don't get their product on time, like we're holding out or something. Trust me, I would love to be able to increase my production 10-fold without compromising quality. I do not charge up-front, and I'm not independantly wealthy. Don't you think I'd love to get your holster done and get your money in my bank account as much as you'd like to receive it?? Hell, if I could make 10 holsters a day instead of 10 holsters a week I'd be doing just that and be rich doing it! Now don't you think I would if I physically could??
    I have complained about the turnaround times on holster makers, but only because it has NEVER been within the times listed on their site. That's my only complaint.
    I got my 3rd Fist holster today. Everyone else on here says they got theirs in about 3 weeks. I've ordered 3, the first 2 was exactly 7 weeks and the one I got today took almost 6. They say on their site the turn around time is 3 weeks. That's twice as long. I think as long as the turnaround times are not as they quote on their sites, people will complain and should complain.
    If I take my gun to a gunsmith that is well known on this site and the turnaround time is alot longer than I was quoted, I'll complain about that too.

Ahh, I just love the feel of my bloodpressure going thru the roof. This is exactly why I will be selling thru a dealer in the future - somebody else can deal with the bitching....

Mark,

I'm sure that, from the suppliers' end, threads about delays in receiving an order get REAL old. On the other hand, as a customer, I view these not as bashing, but as information updates.

I think the vast majority of the posts I've seen, while they may reflect disappointment over having to wait longer than originally anticipated, generally show patience and a willingness to wait for a quality product.

Of the hundreds of posts on forums like this, I see only a very small percentage devoted to delays in getting an ordered product -- most posts are just folks sharing their experiences and opinions -- for whatever they're worth to the rest of us. That's for each of us to individually decide.

While I was waiting for my CHL to arrive, I did a lot of research and decided on the supplier and holster I wanted to order. I'm still waiting, and in the meantime, have ordered and received three other "off the shelf" holsters that work OK and I am using. Based on my experience with these, I changed my custom order twice. The supplier has been most gracious in noting my requests and keeping me posted on his progress in getting to my order. Like you, he charges only when he starts on each order. I respect and appreciate his attitude, cooperation and policies and, as a result, his stock has gone up in my book.

We Americans are an impatient lot, wanting instant gratification in everything, and we often forget that ole time craftmanship isn't the same as factory mass production. On the other hand, we Americans also want to trust each other and believe what we're told up front. We get ruffled when it turns out that "something happened and now ya gotta wait some more."

The fact that custom holster makers are swamped and have trouble keeping up with orders should be viewed as a compliment to you guys. There ARE some of us left who still appreciate your work. (and besides, isn't the Right to Grumble listed someplace in the Constitution? )
    Chuck

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Brommeland View Post
    Ahh, I just love the feel of my bloodpressure going thru the roof. This is exactly why I will be selling thru a dealer in the future - somebody else can deal with the bitching....
    Personally, I don't blame you one bit. I hope this works better for you and I believe it will. Good luck.

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Brommeland View Post
    I agree with you completly, I don't believe that anyone complaining has strapped on one of your holsters. If they had they would know the care that goes into every one you make. Keep the faith Gary!
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

Personally, I am fine with the wait time. You want something custom and that's quality, you wait. You want a piece of crap, you go buy an Uncle Mike's off the shelf.

With all due respect to the many excellent holster makers on this site, it is incorrect to correlate quality workmanship with missing delivery dates. A good example is the Boeing's current success versus Airbus. Part of Boeing's strategy is to "under-promise and over-deliver". Despite the high demand for Boeings Dreamliner, they refuse to accept more orders that they know they can feel within the promised timeframe.

If it takes 6 months to deliver a holster, why not say that it will take 8 months on the website or when asked? Your customer will then feel that they received their product 60 days early.

Just a suggestion

Mike

My question wasn't meant as a bash to any of the custom holster makers at all. In fact I lament that I may have opened a bag of crap that shouldn't have been opened. I truly hope Mr. Brommeland, whom I've never had the pleasure of dealing with feels better and can maintain his health. His holsters do appear to be a work of art. While I have not placed an order with Mr. Garrity I really lust for one of his holsters due to the extreme detail boning on his designs.

I may have also improperly phrased what I was trying to discuss.

I can understand the process and the problems involved in the manufacturing of a holster and all the hand work involved. I was once in manufacturing as a company owner (china killed my entire industry).

Custom hand built holsters are a pleasure to use and in the long run cost no more than some of the commercial offerings.

for me the biggest irritant is the long wait for the orders that are ahead of mine. I'm an instant gratification type. waiting patiently isn't one of my virtues, on the other hand a one man shop can only make so many units in a given time frame.

Every maker has at least one style in the catalog they I would love to own, however my income doesn't allow for that.

If the mods read this thread, I think it is beginning to degenerate slowly and possibly should be closed.
    There are no problems in life too large to be handled by the use of small arms and high explosives

In god we trust, all others are suspects

$10.00 transfers in Houston, Texas

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    I continue to think that Del Fatti has the best system. He posts on his website the month of orders he is working on at the time. Whether it is worth the wait I'll let each decide, but one knows what Matt's backlog is.

I also continue to think that any business owes it to the customer to do what he says he will do. To quote a time or date, and then not deliver fairly close to that time is not responsible. I can understand a couple of weeks delay, and maybe a month if unforseen circumstances should occur. But otherwise I do not want to deal with anyone no matter how good he is that does not deliver pretty close to the date promised.

If some can deliver, then all can. I realize that some disasters or sickness can happen, but that is not the normal reason that dates are missed so much and by such a large time frame.

I just won't deal with those who are constantly late by a large amount. There are some of the best who deliver very close to the promised date, such as Milt Sparks.

Jerry

VIP Member
    Since the original starter of this thread has expressed the opinion that the thread has moved from his original intent and has degenerated to the point he thinks it might be closed I will close it with this post.

I would like to remind our members and all custom leather customers of something that I haven't seen mentioned in this thread. First, the estimated delivery times given by holster makers are by definition [B]ESTIMATED[B]. Second, when a holster maker says "our current lead time is" and provides a period that estimate is base on how long ago what he is delivering today was ordered. This statement may in no way reflect reality in just a few days.

Several years ago when I was the IT Director of a college the president of the college asked me what was going to happen in the field over the next 5 years. My response was, "If I knew what was going to happen in the field in just the next six months I would have Bill Gates working for me." The holster making trade is not quite as rapidly changing at IT, but the holster makers are no better at predicting the future than I am. We all get a little frustrated when things don't happen just when we want them to, but we live in a world that isn't perfect and a country who has its military engaged in action in two nations. Anything that has to do with firearms is subject to strange fluctuations today. I ordered a custom rifle for a customer on February 16 and was given an estimate of 10 to 12 weeks. The gun was actually shipped on August 1. 3 days short of 24 weeks. It happens.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links