Gym carry

This is a discussion on Gym carry within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Summer's here and it's a good time to go to the gym. Problem is, gym clothes typically don't have pockets, or beltloops, or offer cover, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gym carry

Gym carry

Summer's here and it's a good time to go to the gym.

Problem is, gym clothes typically don't have pockets, or beltloops, or offer cover, etc. and they just don't do much for concealment period. I figure my 642 would be perfect if I could just find some gym shorts with a real pocket.

Thoughts?

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    I don't think any concealed holster will really hold a decent sized gun during exercise. I can wear while mountian biking and such , but running and jumping are a diffrent matter.

Assistant Administrator
    Gym? At my age? Pah!!

I think tho if pressed I would resort to SmartCarry and my R9 as being probably manageable.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

About the only thing that works is a small light pistol in a belly band. I gave up on the idea and just clip a folder inside my sweats.

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar
    I go to the gym every morning before work, and except for a knife, I don't carry a thing.

Yeah, I know some deranged communist can come barrelling through the doors with a Model 62 automatic Skorpion, but the odds are they will hold it sideways like a banger.

If I can just get within 21 feet of him, I can win with the knife, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    Summer's here and it's a good time to go to the gym.

Problem is, gym clothes typically don't have pockets, or beltloops, or offer cover, etc. and they just don't do much for concealment period. I figure my 642 would be perfect if I could just find some gym shorts with a real pocket.

Thoughts?
    Well, it'll take the rest of my life, but.... Body by BowFlex! I hate the gym, I'd rather work out at home on the BowFlex and jump onto the 'puter as soon as I leave the shower!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

DC Founder
    Forget the gym. If you want exercise go walking or cut some firewood, and carry while you do.....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper
    Forget the gym. If you want exercise go walking or cut some firewood, and carry while you do.....
    Lol I don't think my landlord would like it if I started cutting down the landscaping!

Do you want to carry while at the gym or just to and from? I'd say fanny pack for the trip - doesn't look to out of place with workout wear. I would hate to depend on a drawstring and some elastic to hold a pistol up, no matter how light it is.

As far as carry at the gym - I think I'll pass. A folder in a pocket would work, but being on and off benches, bending, twisting, etc. around people who are looking at you...I can't see trying to conceal a firearm in that environment.

ExSoldier has the best idea. Work out at home (I know, not everyone has that option).

SSKC

I think I have a potential solution. My "gym" is a fitness facility on the property and it's easily within walking distance, so you get a little warm up traveling there and a little cool down coming back.

I have found a pair of shorts by Athletic works that have the deepest pockets imaginable. The pockets are as long as the shorts' legs. I'm wearing a pair right now and I can actually lean all the way back without the grip peeking out.

I think if I safety pinned my pocket holster to the bottom of the pocket, I'd have nothing to worry about. I'll go sometime when there's no one else there in case of a "concealment malfunction".

I'm not going to be doing any Yoga or tumbling in this facility and I plan to stretch before I get there. I'll try it and see how it works.

Check out Rob's chest holster:

http://www.survivalsheath.com/holsters/index.htm

It might do the trick under a sweatshirt/ heavy tee shirt.
    /***********
    Phill
    ************/

"Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate"
    William of Ockham (ca. 1285-1349)

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    Lol I don't think my landlord would like it if I started cutting down the landscaping!
    Weed his flowerbeds, then. That's exercise. I know because I worked in the flowerbeds all day today.....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Jim Carry?

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRavens
    Check out Rob's chest holster:

http://www.survivalsheath.com/holsters/index.htm

It might do the trick under a sweatshirt/ heavy tee shirt.
    TwoRavens - Thanks for the link. Not to hijack this thread, but the link led me on a fact finding mission about RBCD Performance Plus cartridges. Is anyone here using this seemingly phenominal ammunition. At 1815 fps/271 ft.lbs for a 37gr 32ACP bullet, it appears to triple the lethality of a standard .32 mousegun round, and make it a potent contender in a fight.
    Check it out at www.rbcd.net ...the .45ACP is even more phenominal.

Kimber Ultra CDP Elite STS II

A gun is a tool...the real weapon is between your ears!

VIP Member
    How about the sport fanny pack with the water bottle holster? Since you can't leave your cell phone and PDA and need water to replenish yourself while getting a hard workout, it seems like a good choice. Camelbak even makes some small waist hydration packs; I'm sure you could squeeze a gun in there.

Here are some options.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links