Confidence in Pocket Carry - Page 2

Confidence in Pocket Carry

This is a discussion on Confidence in Pocket Carry within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The Nemesis is an excellent holster. I carry my S&W640 in one. As stated by another poster, a properly holstered weapon isnt' a problem. Look ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The Nemesis is an excellent holster. I carry my S&W640 in one.

As stated by another poster, a properly holstered weapon isnt' a problem.

Look at it this way, no matter what form of carry you use, your holstered gun WILL sweep someone sometime.

If you are on the second floor of your house, and your family is on the first floor, you will most likely sweep them at some point.

As you get more comfortable with carrying, this feeling of concern will fade.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Quote Originally Posted by tankdriver View Post
    I have never had a problem of any kind, Be sure and wear loose fitting clothes with deep pockets.
    +1

It is not my favorite method of carry (because I end up using my smaller caliber gun), but sometimes weather and clothing requirements make it the most practical method. I feel just as comfortable with pocket carry as I do with my IWB Versa Max II.
    "Society never advances. It recedes as fast on one side as it gains on the other. It undergoes continual change; but this change is not [an improvement]. For everything that is given, something is taken."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    IRRATIONAL FEARS MUST BE DISCOUNTED AND IGNORED.
    Except for fear of zombies.

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    Those people kind of deserve to have wound channels running down their legs, to be frank. That's just STUPID.
    I don't know about deserves - but certainly a degradation in the thought process has put them - and others at undue risk. I am one that wished no one - even stupid people - any harm. jmo

Ron
    If the 442 is anything like my 642, it has a long and rather hard double action pull. With your gun in the holster, there is no way it will discharge without you pullling the trigger.

Relax and enjoy pocket carry.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by FlyboyLDB View Post
    Keep your fingers and everything else out of the trigger area. I never think about it. Put nothing else in the pocket that you carry in. I know a couple of people who pocket carry without a holster - other stuff in their pockets - I my opinion - that is an accident waiting to happen. Your fears will ease with time.
    I agree 100% I carry my NAA Guardian in a Nemisis and I don't feel dressed without it being in my right front pocket. My brother n law was a cop and carried a small Glock in his rear pocket with his comb, ( not smart) you guessed it, he pulled the comb out, it fired the glock and he shot the back of his foot with a 40 cal round, OUUUCH!! Pay attention and use God given common sense and all will be fine.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Administrator
    Your S&W just cannot go off all by itself.
    Sorry but I personally don't think the "Don't have your muzzle pointed at anything you do not wish to destroy." is applicable to a properly holstered and secure firearm.

If there are a group of LEOs all crowded around a Bad Guy that needs to be "taken down" does the cop say..."Oh...Wait A Minute...If I dive on the Bad Guy my properly holstered OWB firearm is probably going to be sweeping a few of my Brother Officers who are standing right behind me." - "Can somebody hurry up and hold my gun for a minute...while I tackle this guy?"

Put your firearm in your empty pocket - don't fiddle around with it and relax. You have a greater chance getting hit by a comet than your DA revolver going off all by itself from a hammer down position.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm relatively new to pocket carry as well, but have always felt completely safe. As others have said, the DA tigger pull is stout enough that there is no concern. I've found that while I might be initially aware at a time I'm carrying, after awhile I almost forget it's there because it (638) is so comfortable in my pocket.

IMO, the four rules apply when handling an unholstered gun. Applied to a holstered gun would make CCW nearly impossible--No shoulder holsters, belt carry would limit you to the first floor...

Administrator
    My long time ago job I used to stretch out on the top bunk w/ a holstered sidearm with folks walking in and out of the room all the time and it never bothered anybody.
    Guns just do not go off by themselves without some sort of human intervention.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

About 98% of the time I pocket carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II, .45 ACP, cocked and locked in a Sam Andrews www.andrewsleather.com pocket holster. It is comfortable, secure, safe and prints like a wallet.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

ckd
    I always carry at least one gun in my pocket, and like you initally, felt very awkward. The good news, you'll get so accustomed to it, you'll wonder why you didn't before. By continuing to carry at home in this manner, you will build your comfort level much faster. Nemisis pocket holster and an alloy j-frame is nearly a gold standard.

VIP Member
    I used to carry a Kahr PM9 and Kel Tec P3AT in kydex pocket holsters.

I found this carry method to be effective....as long as I wore pants that weren't too tight.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Well, here I am two weeks on from my original post and I have to admit you all were right. It's simply the unfamiliarity of the thing. I actually went almost all day Sunday without realizing it was there.

It was the "carry empty with a speedloader" that did it. A couple days of having my ammo separated from the weapon, along with a few days at the range, really built my confidence. Thank you all for the help and encouragement.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links