Confidence in Pocket Carry

This is a discussion on Confidence in Pocket Carry within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been going to the range for a while and have been religiously drilling the 4 rules into my conscious actions and subconscious reflexes. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I've been going to the range for a while and have been religiously drilling the 4 rules into my conscious actions and subconscious reflexes. I have a dillemma now that I have my CPL, though.

My setup is a S&W 442 in a Nemesis pocket holster but pocket carry is new to me. I think I'm over the initial "shock" of being armed in public and thinking everyone is staring at you. I am however ACUTELY aware that my carry method seems to go against my training. Due to the nature of pocket carry, every time I sit down, I'm potentially sweeping with the weapon in its holster. I know that it is secure and that as long as my finger is off the trigger there is no danger of a discharge. I can't seem to shake that irrational fear though.

This may sound crazy but has anyone else had this problem? How did you deal with it?

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    No matter how you carry a weapon, you're going to "sweep" someone, whether it's yourself or someone else.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

VIP Member
    I pocket carry at times, not my favorite carry method, but if a gun is in a good holster it's just not an issue. I'd be more concerned of it falling out of my pocket sitting down.

I carry my 642 in my desantis pocket holster ALOT. (I just got a new leather iwb but thats a different thread ). You just have to trust that your gun isn't going to fire itself. If its in the holster and nothing else is in the pocket (nothing else should be in the pocket) then there should be no reason for the gun to fire.

I like pocket carrying because its one of the more comfortable ways to easily carry your firearm. You can just toss it in your pocket and head out the door.

Keep your fingers and everything else out of the trigger area. I never think about it. Put nothing else in the pocket that you carry in. I know a couple of people who pocket carry without a holster - other stuff in their pockets - I my opinion - that is an accident waiting to happen. Your fears will ease with time.

Your pocket carry is fine. Sitting could prove more difficult for drawing the weapon, however, from a standing position, suspecting a potential problem...your hand can be on the weapon ready for deployment in just a second or two...
    If your finger isn't on the trigger, it won't go bang!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Since getting my snubby last Christmas I've pocket carried even more than I planned. It's so convenient.

I say erase that sweeping concern from your mind, just forget it.

What I did find was a fear of the revolver falling out when seated. That has proven to be unfounded, but still crosses my mind at times.

Something to be aware of is revealing your carry piece when you sit down. For example, when I'm seated in church where the seats are theatre style, that can happen. The seats are staggered such that the seat behind me is lined up with the gap on my right...the way I'm seated and they are positioned means that the person behind me would look between the seats and have a clear view down into my pocket and the grip of the gun.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

I pocket carry about 80% of the time. Smith 642 38, and a Kel-Tec 380. I have carried since they made it legal. That is about 10 years....

I have never had a problem of any kind, Be sure and wear lose fitting clothes with deep pockets.

Pocket carry is my favorit way of carring. It is alsways there. As I tell my friends, if I have my pants on, ...... I'm armed........
    Last edited by tankdriver; August 29th, 2007 at 09:34 AM.
    1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

When I pocket carry I know my snub won’t go off unless I pull the trigger. My 442 trigger has a healthy (yet smooth) pull that is somewhat like its own safety.

Pocket carry with confidence...it isn’t going to off unexpected.

VIP Member
    As long as its in a holster that covers the trigger guard, don't worry about flashing or ND's. Draw fast with trigger finger in register. Holster slowly and carefully.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Aelbric: for the first month of carrying, unload your firearm and carry a speed-loader either in your other pocket, or on in a sheath on your belt. (Just in case you really need it.)

During that first month, you will slowly become comfortable with the feel and extra weight in your pocket. You will also find in that first month, that not once did you experience a 'negligent discharge', or anything close to it.

After that, you will be able to carry comfortably and confidently, knowing that your initial fear of a negligent discharge is not warranted.

Good luck and congratulations on taking the step to carry concealed.

Wes.
    Always remember: 3 can keep a secret, if 2 are dead!

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aelbric View Post
    I am however ACUTELY aware that my carry method seems to go against my training. Due to the nature of pocket carry, every time I sit down, I'm potentially sweeping with the weapon in its holster.
    It is invalid to think of a holstered gun as "sweeping" anyone! It's simply not the case. A gun doesn't sweep unless it is unholstered, and most likely held in a firing grip (but not necessarily).

You deal with this by CONSCIOUSLY AND RATIONALLY REMINDING YOURSELF THAT IT'S AN IRRATIONAL FEAR AND ALL IRRATIONAL FEARS MUST BE DISCOUNTED AND IGNORED.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyboyLDB View Post
    Put nothing else in the pocket that you carry in. I know a couple of people who pocket carry without a holster - other stuff in their pockets - I my opinion - that is an accident waiting to happen.
    Those people kind of deserve to have wound channels running down their legs, to be frank. That's just STUPID.

I had the same concern at first which is why I find the double action trigger pull on a revolver (642) so comforting.

Quote Originally Posted by Amnesia Wes View Post
    Aelbric: for the first month of carrying, unload your firearm and carry a speed-loader either in your other pocket, or on in a sheath on your belt. (Just in case you really need it.)

Wes.
    Thank you everyone for the constructive responses. It's not that I am uncomfortable with a firearm in any way. It's just that unfamiliar feeling of a holstered pistol "rattling around" in my pocket I suppose.

Wes. Thanks. I think I may try this until my confidence increases. Perhaps leaving the chamber under the hammer and the next one in the cylinder empty is another option. That way I'm closer to ready in the event I need it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links