Iwb Holster question

Iwb Holster question

This is a discussion on Iwb Holster question within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello all. This is my first thread so I hope I am doing everything right. I am looking for a new iwb holster for a ...

Iwb Holster question

Hello all. This is my first thread so I hope I am doing everything right. I am looking for a new iwb holster for a 5" 1911 that I carry. I am looking at Brommeland's Max-Con V or Milt Sparks Summer Special 2. I am using Gould & Goodrich straight drop holster at about 3:00 with a Galco 1.5" belt. I am a well rounded individual and do not have the hollow spot I keep hearing about. I am 5-7 with a 42" waist size. I have a Comp-Tac CTAC and the front clip pinches me when I sit down. Please help with opinions and pics.
    Happiness is a belt fed weapon

10mm is a grown up 40 cal

VIP Member
    Round off the edges of the clip. Try moving the CTAC around a bit with more or less cant cant. Take the screws our of the front leather on the CTAC, reposition the leather so it allows more cant, and punch a hole in the leather for the screw that needs it. The velcro clips are good. The maxconV is one I'm eagerly waiting for. The VMII is a good holster. One of my favorites is the Crossbreed Super Tuck Deluxe. Everything can pinch someone somewhere. Sitting and standing call for shifting the position for best comfort, especially if a car seat has bolster in the seat back. There is no perfect holster for everybody, but with some customization, most quality rigs can be quite comfortable. IMO IWB is more concealable, snug, and less to bump around than OWB. Charlie at Smartcarry uses his smartcarry to conceal the 5" 1911. Go 10mm!
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

For me, I prefer the dual offset loop style holsters like the MaxConV. The Summer Special type is a little quicker and easier to remove and replace if you have to take the gun off frequently.

Keep in mind, unless you get a used one or find somebody with one in stock - and you'll pay a premium either way - you'll be waiting up to a year for either one of those.

Some other similar options to look at: UBG holster's Canute is a very good holster similar to the Brommeland. I carry a 5" 1911 almost every day in one. I had mine made at a little more cant; 20° if I remember right.

I'm 6'1 with a 40" waist (a little less, I wear 40" pants to accomodate an IWB) and I carry right about 4:00. I find the Canute at a forward cant not only conceals better than an OWB holster, but it's more comfortable. It tucks right up to the body and doesn't get hooked up on chairs and doors etc.

Hope that helps,
    Joe

Sounds like we are of identical size. milt sparks VMII works great for me @2:30-3:00 . I carry a full size grip 1911. I also have a horisontal mag pouch with a tention screw that works great also.

When you say the CTAC's front clip pinches you, I assume you are carrying it at 3:00 and it is interfering with your leg as you bring it up while sitting. Pay close attention, is it the clip or is it the leather tab. Is it pinching you or digging into you? I discovered that it was the leather strut that was the problem for me. When the CTAC is brand new and the leather tabs have not broken in, they can be very stiff and sharp on the edges. To fix this, I wrapped the edges of the the leather tab with Moleskin and it completely fixed the problem and now I can wear it comfortably all day at the 3:00 position.

Here's a pic of what I'm talking about:

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    I have no experience with Milt Spark's holsters, though I have heard positive comments. I use a Max-con V for my XD 45 and I love it. I'm rather large, without a real "hollow", but I have no trouble concealing the gun. The Max-con is very comfortable, and well made. I was very impressed with the quality, especially after I had received a holster from another custom maker, that fell apart (I won't name names, as I have heard many fine things about him, and I'm sure that mine was a fluke). I highly recommend it. As far as wait times, I don't know what either are running. I waited 4 months for mine (seemed longer, just because I wanted it so badly). But I have a lot of difficulty believing that the wait time is a year, as raytracer said. My wait was on the long side from what I've seen. But, the wait is worth it, as you'll understand after it arrives- the difference between a premade holster and a custom one is very impressive. If you are concerned about the wait time, just email the maker, and they will give you a good estimate. Gary Brommeland is a member of this group, so you can send him a private message or email his site.

An order I placed with Milt Sparks shipped yesterday--when I get it, it will have been one week shy of five months, or stated another way, 19 weeks.

If you want a Milt Sparks holster, order now and I'd guess you'll have it in mid to late January.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Hi to all.This is my first post and I just wanted to let Compgun know that he should try Brownell's for the Summer Special II.I think they have some in stock ready to go for 5" Government.Also you can check out Kirkpatricks Leather,I ordered a holster from them and the wait was one and half weeks.I haven't seen their name mentioned on this Forum.Thanks.

Yes, you'll be waiting on a MAX CON, I'd suggest the UBG Canute as an alternative, I just ordered one for my 5"1911. I'm also very happy with my Comp Tac M Tac for my Glocks..

VIP Member
    4 more months to wait for VersaMax-II numbers 8 & 9! I guess you can tell what I like!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I use the Mc Daniells II and I love it. Made well, comfortable, good price.

I took this pic in the mirror so it looks backwards

David

Ride hard and Shoot safe

The first rule of gunfighting should be to know when the gunfight starts - being the last one to get the news certainly won't put the odds in your favor.

Quote Originally Posted by compgun View Post
    Hello all. This is my first thread so I hope I am doing everything right. I am looking for a new iwb holster for a 5" 1911 that I carry.
    You may consider a KD Holster at least give Kevin a call he will work with you and come up with something you will love or he will at least say he can't. Top quality decent price. As one forum host put it Kevin always under promises and over delivers.

Quote Originally Posted by max7777 View Post
    Sounds like we are of identical size. milt sparks VMII works great for me @2:30-3:00 . I carry a full size grip 1911. I also have a horisontal mag pouch with a tention screw that works great also.
    I am happy to hear that. May be right for me as well!

[QUOTE=Whyveear;468659]When you say the CTAC's front clip pinches you, I assume you are carrying it at 3:00 and it is interfering with your leg as you bring it up while sitting. Pay close attention, is it the clip or is it the leather tab. Is it pinching you or digging into you? I discovered that it was the leather strut that was the problem for me. When the CTAC is brand new and the leather tabs have not broken in, they can be very stiff and sharp on the edges. To fix this, I wrapped the edges of the the leather tab with Moleskin and it completely fixed the problem and now I can wear it comfortably all day at the 3:00 position.

Yes the clip is poking me when I sit down. I tried different adjustments and switched the leather tabs front to back. And I like leather holsters. The CTAC is just untill I get new one. You do have a very good fix, I like it!

Quote Originally Posted by checolin View Post
    Hi to all.This is my first post and I just wanted to let Compgun know that he should try Brownell's for the Summer Special II.I think they have some in stock ready to go for 5" Government.Also you can check out Kirkpatricks Leather,I ordered a holster from them and the wait was one and half weeks.I haven't seen their name mentioned on this Forum.Thanks.
    Yes Brownell's does have the Summer Special II in stock. Thank for looking for me! The SS 2 is close to what now but it has loops. I do like the belt loops spread out like the Max Con but worred about sitting and driving.

Links