Smith & Wesson M&P Compact 9mm Pocket Carry

This is a discussion on Smith & Wesson M&P Compact 9mm Pocket Carry within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just wondering if any forum member pocket carries a S&W M&P Compact 9mm? I am thinking about buying the gun as a replacement for a ...

Thread: Smith & Wesson M&P Compact 9mm Pocket Carry

Question Smith & Wesson M&P Compact 9mm Pocket Carry

Just wondering if any forum member pocket carries a S&W M&P Compact 9mm? I am thinking about buying the gun as a replacement for a smaller caliber one that I pocket carry when clothing requirements prevent me from carrying my P239 IWB. I see that pocket holsters are available for the gun, but would appreciate any first hand experience.
    "Society never advances. It recedes as fast on one side as it gains on the other. It undergoes continual change; but this change is not [an improvement]. For everything that is given, something is taken."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

2. Remove Ads

I do, but not as a pocket carry. Bought a P-3AT for that purpose, when the situation makes carrying my M&P difficult.

The M&P 9c is a great gun, but it is to large and heavy for pocket carry, IMHO.

Buy one and get a good belt and belt holster of your choice. It carries nicely on the belt, IWB or OWB.
    Chuck

I carry an M&P 9c, but also believe it to be too big for pocket carry. Smartcarry works great!
    "The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him,
    but because he loves what is behind him."

- G.K. Chesterton [ 1874 - 1936 ]

I have looked at the M&P Compact...too big for my pockets. Even my wife's S&W 637 is too big for my pocket.
    I seldom carry in a pocket, but if I do...it's my P-3AT only...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

In a word, no! I have the M&P .40c and there is no way that I would pocket carry it. I have a Kel-tec P3AT for that purpose.

Ron
    Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    Taurus Raging Bull .454 Casull
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

Thanks for all the quick responses. Even though I've not yet had the opportunity to check one out personally, it looks like I need to look at something other than the S&W M&P 9c. My desire is to keep the same 9mm caliber as my primary weapon, but in a size suitable for pocket carry.

I have read the many reviews on the Kahr PM9, and frankly it appears to be a crap shoot as to whether one ends up with a gun that can be trusted for CC. I also don't like the suggestion that many had regarding the necessity of getting the PM9's feed ramp polished before the gun would stop its tendency to FTF. After so many incidents of this type of malfunction, I find it difficult to believe that Kahr would continue to distribute new ones without solving the problem.

I suppose that I have been spoiled by the reliability of my Sig.
    "Society never advances. It recedes as fast on one side as it gains on the other. It undergoes continual change; but this change is not [an improvement]. For everything that is given, something is taken."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Nope. In my MTAC IWB holster with tucked in or out shirt, no problem.
    Don't forget drawing a pocket carry while sitting down can pose a serious dilemma.

T-

PS If you go with a pocket carry, deSantis and Uncle Mikes make inexpensive holsters that are very functional.
    S&W M&P .40 Compact
    Para Ordnance 18.9 9mm
    Wesson Mod 15 .357
    Ruger GP100 .357
    Remington 870 Express 12ga

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    gimpy if you look at the Kahr pm line , only buy pistols that are serialed with the prefix ab and after . The early pm pistols had issues , all seems good ab and after , yes i own one and carry it almost everyday .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Ron
    I pocket carry a Walther 9mm P99c at times without any problem. I believe that the M&P compact 9mm is close to the same size. You might want to check it out. It works particularly well with cargo shorts or pants or looser fitting leisure type shorts or pants. It would not work with tighter fitting pants, like jeans. True, it is a bit heavier then carrying my S&W 642 J frame, but I like pocket carry and in a Mika pocket holster, it works well for me.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Senior Member Array rangerman2003's Avatar
    never tried it, but i bet in a pair of 5.11 tactical pants with the huge pockets they have im sure you could pocket carry.
    Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'

De inimico non Loquaris sed cogites.

Do not wish ill for your enemy, plan for it!

I REALLY wish I could remember who makes it...but there's a holster company that builds a model made to fit behind the big, bellows thigh pocket on cargo pants/shorts. They provide a template you use to cut & remove the cloth from the back (inside) of that pocket. So the bulk & wrinkle of the bellows pocket hides the visable profile of the handgun...BUT the pistol is actually held in a holster that you access by reaching into the pocket, THROUGH the now-missing back of the pocket, and onto a convenient (but hidden) location on the outside of your upper thigh. Their video shows (or DOESN'T show) a full-size autoloader absolutely HIDDEN in that location. And it makes for a swift draw. Very cool!

Hey, I found it! www.handgunholsters.net
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

This morning I managed to visit three different gun stores in town. I say three because the first two didn't have a S&W M&P 9c in stock. At the third store I was able to compare the Kahr PM9 alongside the S&W M&P 9c. Although I was able to get the M&P into my front pocket easily, I believe it is just a little too large for me as a pocket carry weapon.

The Kahr PM9s that I looked at would be excellent for pocket carry, and the serial numbers were all prefaced with VC and above, which hopefully means they were manufactured after Kahr solved the FTF problem.

I should mention that I also looked at a Rohrbaugh R-9, but it is a little too pricey for my wallet.

Again, thanks to everyone that responded to my question--all the replies were very helpful.

Tonight I'll sleep on the decision of whether to buy the Kahr.
    Last edited by gimpy; September 4th, 2007 at 05:43 PM.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Links