Looking for holster opinions...

This is a discussion on Looking for holster opinions... within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Greetings all! Been lurking for a while but this is my first post. Long story short, I sold my Glock G22 and picked up a ...

Thread: Looking for holster opinions...

Greetings all! Been lurking for a while but this is my first post.

Long story short, I sold my Glock G22 and picked up a G27 (sub-compact 40). I'm carrying it in a Galco leather IWB and am getting tired of being stabbed with the butt of the gun when I try to bend over or move about.

I'm in sales and typically in slacks (or kaki's) and a shirt and tie. But since we're moving into Fall/Winter I will be wearing more sport coats day to day and would like to buy an upper body holster system, something along the lines of this galco model: http://www.lapolicegear.com/gamiclii.html

Thoughts, opinions? I'm looking for something that is nice but wont break the bank. I'm also looking at buying a new Glock or 2. Torn between picking up the G23 or if I should fall back to a 9mm.

My first pistol was a G22 and have always had 40's. I have tried to talk myself into a different flavor pistol to fool with, but I always come back to Glocks. After cutting my teeth and spending almost all my time shooting Glocks up to this point I am concerned that making a move to a different pistol would foul me up if I had to draw for real.

Anyway, sorry for the ramble. I would be very interested in your opinions and recommendations on this or similar holsters.

I'm not a shoulder holster fan, but I have heard that an Alessi Bodyguard is worth the investment.

Some shoulder holster info
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Welcome, Andrax!!

I have been using Ted Blocker horizontal shoulder rigs for over 15 years and have been quite pleased with them.

However, if I were to buy another shoulder rig, (which I may do in the near future for my 229R), I will be purchasing the Andrew's "Monarch" shoulder rig. The lower backstrap feature and the horizontal mag carrier look like a great improvement on a already comfy rig.

A little pricey, but I paid good $$ for Ted Blocker rigs years ago and they still work and look perfect!! Something to keep in mind if you will get lots of use out of it, as I do in the cooler months.

A good alternative is you could stay IWB carry and look into the super comfy, hybrid IWB holsters, (Super Tuck or the Minotaur are getting excellent reviews by members here as of late), for about $70, until funds permit the purchase of a quality shoulder rig.

Good luck & stay safe!!
    You never see a motorcycle parked ouside a psychiatrist's office!

I don't like the horizontal holster...I have the Fist vertical shoulder holster. Although I don't often use it, it is very comfortable...check out the Fist site...See Related Links above...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I recommend two "Deep Concealment" holsters that are carried on the upper body.

While the draw may be considered by some, to be a little slower... they are "specialty" holsters that have a main purpose of being worn with dress or business clothing.

I have had great luck with this Deep Concealment rig and have two of them. I wear them quite frequently which is why I am working on my second one. http://www.gunnersecurity.com/holster-shoulder.html

The other one I recommend and is favored by a Federal Agent who is a member of this forum is the Under Cover Comfort shirt. http://www.undercovercomfort.com/Holsters.html

What you have to bear in mind, is the need for absolute concealment vs. an absolute need for speed of the draw. Most people who wear rigs like this understand the remote likelihood of actually needing to perform an IPSC level competition speed draw as opposed to having the requirements of absolute concealability.

Also, speed of draw comes from practice. If you modify one button on your shirts and practice, you can easily accomplish a draw and fire with hits on target in well under 3 seconds.

(To speed in the draw from this type of holster, button modifications can be made to your shirts by permanently sewing one of your shirt buttons to the top of the button hole and placing a small "spot" of velcro beneath it secure to the shirt, but still allowing quick access to the weapon) If you send me a private message, I will provide more detailed instructions for shirt button modifications but I think you can get the idea from what I have posted. Also, you only need to modify one button. Usually the button on the shirt that is closest to your nipple line to allow you to easily slip your hand into access your gun.

(also a lot of people don't even bother to modify their button and just opt to tactically unbutton a button if they anticipate a need for a draw.)

Drawing from a rig like this and hitting your target in somewhere along the lines of 2.4 -2.8 seconds is pretty damn fast as far as I'm concerned, I don't care who you are and can be accomplished with practice.

I can tell you that I routinely carry a G-23 in the holsters I own for well over 16 hours a day with so much comfort, I can barely tell I have a gun on, and have NEVER, EVER revealed that I was packing a hi-capacity .40 caliber Glock with two 15 round reloads.

Good luck in finding something that works for you!

Welcome to the forum and hope you like it here and continue to hang around for a while.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I carry my Glock M27 in a Sam Andrews SOLO rig not the Monarch. It works very well.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I carry a compact Glock G23 in a tuckable IWB from Tucker gunleather. That's a larger frame than your G27 and I don't experience any stabbing from the gun butt. Where are you positioning the holster? I place mine behind the hip (4 o'clock).

Quote Originally Posted by jofrdo View Post
    I carry a compact Glock G23 in a tuckable IWB from Tucker gunleather. That's a larger frame than your G27 and I don't experience any stabbing from the gun butt. Where are you positioning the holster? I place mine behind the hip (4 o'clock).
    I tuck mine about half way between my fly and my left hand pocket. It's the GALCO ultra carry which has a tuckable flange so that you can tuck your shirt down between the clip and the holster. I'll try it on the hip tomorrow.

I put it in front for draw purposes... my thought being it's easier to rip through buttons and draw if need be then to rip a shirt up and out the side and then get under the shirt to draw.

Also, looked at the Monarch and that's just about exactly what I am looking for. Very nice looking holster. Safe to assume that at that price it comes with everything you see? Holster, back strap and the double clip carry on the opposite side?

Searched for Ted Blocker and all i could find is horse stuff. Even the list of links at http://www.alumbankweb.com/cc-riglinks.htm for Ted Blocker goes to horse equipment, no holsters that I could find.

Also, check out the sticky on the Concealed Holsters section of the forum titled "Mega holster makers link list" or just click here;

http://www.alumbankweb.com/cc-riglinks.htm

That'll keep him busy.
    You never see a motorcycle parked ouside a psychiatrist's office!

Forgive my ignorance, never purchased a shoulder rig... (BTW those concealment undershirts with the holster built in are cool, I may pick up one or two of those as well)

When you look at the shoulder holsters and they are for Right or Left, is that where you identify if you are Right or Left handed? Or identifying on which side of your body the pistol will rest?

Thanks

Ever think about a Smart Carry? I use it for my G26 and G19.

I just purchased a MTAC Holster and hopefully it will arrive this week.
    G19
    G26

Wink "Handed" always refers to....

Quote Originally Posted by Andrax View Post
    Forgive my ignorance, never purchased a shoulder rig... (BTW those concealment undershirts with the holster built in are cool, I may pick up one or two of those as well)

When you look at the shoulder holsters and they are for Right or Left, is that where you identify if you are Right or Left handed? Or identifying on which side of your body the pistol will rest?

Thanks
    Anytime somebody asks for which "hand" you want in a holster it ALWAYS refers to the hand with which you will draw the weapon. I have used many different holsters in the (OH Geeeeze) nearly thirty years I've been involved with either the military, law enforcement or as a civilian ccw'er (not to mention 20 years as a certified instructor). For a good loooooong time I was locked into one form of carry, no matter what gun I was using. I carried in a strong side hip holster OWB with a thumbreak snap. I did this so as to build muscle memory as to the actions I must take in the defense of my life before a lethal threat.

What I'm trying to say here and I'm sure most will agree, is that you should stick to one sort of holster and get really REALLY good before you start looking to switch up the "draw movement's."
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    What I'm trying to say here and I'm sure most will agree, is that you should stick to one sort of holster and get really REALLY good before you start looking to switch up the "draw movement's."
    +1!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Sponsored Links