Learning curve OWB

This is a discussion on Learning curve OWB within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys, Ive been carring in the pocket for years, and also using the belly band. Well, I just got my first OWB holster. It ...

Thread: Learning curve OWB

Learning curve OWB

Hey guys, Ive been carring in the pocket for years, and also using the belly band. Well, I just got my first OWB holster. It the Desantis Yaqui and man is this thing nice. OWB is SOOOOO comfortable!! I carried my Officers Model last night up town and had no problems with weight or comfort at all. I love it!! My question is now, I think I need a good quality leather belt that will properly support the heavy 1911's. Problem is, the Desantis models I looked at were 70.00 Are there any 'normal' priced 1.5-1.75 inch leather belts out there? Thanks, Kevin.
    Jesus said "and if you dont have a sword (AK), sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by ak-kev View Post
    My question is now, I think I need a good quality leather belt that will properly support the heavy 1911's. Problem is, the Desantis models I looked at were 70.00 Are there any 'normal' priced 1.5-1.75 inch leather belts out there?
    A quality leather belt for $19.95, sufficiently durable and supportive to last for a decade of concealed-carry? Those don't exist, so far as I know. You want one that won't flop around, one that will hold the firearm close to your body, and one that's built to last. $80+ seems to be the going rate. I just picked up a couple bullhide belts from The Beltman. Well-made, supportive, good looking, and designed to last (~$100 ea).

For lower-priced belts suitable for carry, consider Wilderness belts. A lot of folks swear by them.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I saw the thread about 'Beltman'. Thanks for your input. Ill check out Wilderness too. I was just thinking the 40-60 dollar range was sufficient....I guess not.
    Jesus said "and if you dont have a sword (AK), sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

I found some at a flea market. This guy makes all finds of stuff out of leather. He sold me a really nice 1.5" belt that is very, very stiff and holds the Glock perfectly, paid $20 IIRC, so there are other options just not ones that are readily available all the time.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

I got my belt from a leather shop. It is the extra thick leather. I dyed it and put a buckle on it and it is very good for carrying. It also ran me about $20 for the belt, buckle, and dye. I also have a 5.11 instructor belt that ran less than $30 that is alot like the Wilderness belt. It also makes for a good pistol belt, but is not quite as good looking as the leather.
    "To be prepared for war is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace" George Washington

I have two instructor's belts for about $30-35 each...they're great! Another option is to try a 'country western' shop. You might find a reasonably price 'thick' leather belt.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    It's not too hard to get a good belt blank from a leather shop for just a few $. However, the tools for all the fancy engraving you might want to start as a hobby could cost plenty.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Wilderness belts are great for about $40. I also have wonderful leather belts from KD, UBG, Andrews & Beltman, all for around $50 to $70.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I have two instructor's belts for about $30-35 each...they're great! Another option is to try a 'country western' shop. You might find a reasonably price 'thick' leather belt.
    +1 for the wilderness instructor belt. The adjustable part of the belt is a nice change.

I broke down and bought a belt from 'Beltman'. I've been carrying the Officers Model all weekend, and my standard dress belt is severely lacking. Its just too thin and too weak. I cant wait to try the new one I ordered. Thanks for all the advice! Kevin.

Links