Another MTAC! (picture warning)

This is a discussion on Another MTAC! (picture warning) within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My new MTAC with a G19 and G36 shell arrived yesterday. I wore it all day yesterday and this morning, trying to figure out the ...

My new MTAC with a G19 and G36 shell arrived yesterday. I wore it all day yesterday and this morning, trying to figure out the best position. I'm thinking 2:30 seems best, but that's still up in the air.

It arrived with the G36 shell already on, but I didn't get the G36 out of lay-away till this afternoon (see new G36 in other forum).

First think I did was remove the G36 shell to install the G19. I noticed that one of the holding nuts on the G36 shell was kinda wallered out, but I didn't think much of it. I installed the G19 Shell and noticed that it fit perfectly, but the washer didn't line up with the old washer mark. See pic

If I hadn't bought two shells, I would never have noticed anyway, and since I don't intend on anyone seeing it, it didn't matter.

But today I got a little bonus, and picked up my Christmas G36 a few months early (yippie)

So of course I tried to put the original G36 shell back on, but that wallered-out nut seems to be a part of a bigger problem. I don't know how the Minotaur guys got it to go on the first time, but without either modifing the kydex, or making the hole in the leather bigger... It just won't go back together.

If I didn't have the G19 shell that fits perfectly, I'd probably figure that's just how it is, but between the stretched nut... see pic

and the perfect fit of the other shell, I'm thinking of calling Comp-Tac in the morning.

I bet I could get a leather punch and move the hole a little over and it would work, but I think for long term satisfaction it would be best to call Comp-Tac and see what they say.

From the first picture it sure looks close, like you could just stretch it a little, but I've kinda frayed the leather around the hole trying already.

As far as wearing it with the G19 all day, no problem. I've been playing with different heights, and positions trying to get the best feel, but there's really no bad position. I wore it covered with just a tee-shirt to the mall and Wall-Mart, and even helped a friend move some furniture. I think it may even be able to replace my deep concealment "Pager-Pal" I use for work. It may be a few weeks before I brave enough to try, but it's looking good so far.

So what do you think? Am I being too picky with the G36 shell? Should I just make the hole in the leather a little bigger, and be done with it?

I really like it, and am going to keep it anyway. I dunno, I'll think about it for a while.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I would try and make the hole a little bigger, just to get the G36 shell to line up. I don't think it would hurt anything. I had a little difficulty installing my 1911 shell, but not too much, just had to wedge it into the holes, and used the screws to hold it in place. My MTAC sits at around the 4:00 position, and first I ordered the J clips, but didn't like them so I went with the standard ones. I'm glad I bought this holster, and it would be hard for me to justify buying a different IWB holster, when I can just buy spare shells.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Quote Originally Posted by spyderdude View Post
    I would try and make the hole a little bigger, just to get the G36 shell to line up. I don't think it would hurt anything. I had a little difficulty installing my 1911 shell, but not too much, just had to wedge it into the holes, and used the screws to hold it in place. My MTAC sits at around the 4:00 position, and first I ordered the J clips, but didn't like them so I went with the standard ones. I'm glad I bought this holster, and it would be hard for me to justify buying a different IWB holster, when I can just buy spare shells.
    I am really tempted to adjust the leather. Mostly because I am anxious to start wearing it. My only hesitation is wether the damage to the post on the shell is within acceptable limits.

It looks like the hole didn't line up, the assembler canted the screw to reach the post, and used a powered screw driver to drive it home. It chewed up the first couple threads, and bent the post over to reach the hole in the leather.

The 2nd picture shows the post, (damaged one in front) and you can see how mis-shappen it is compared to the one in the background.

I hate to wait another week if comp-tac determines that the shell should be replaced, but I'd also hate to have the post completely strip-out in a couple months. I've decided to call Comp-tac and at least see what they recommend.

Links