Comp-Tac Settable Cant holster (initial impressions)

This is a discussion on Comp-Tac Settable Cant holster (initial impressions) within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i've been looking for a good kydex belt holster that hugs the butt of the pistol in close. to that end, i ordered the comp-tac ...

Thread: Comp-Tac Settable Cant holster (initial impressions)

i've been looking for a good kydex belt holster that hugs the butt of the pistol in close. to that end, i ordered the comp-tac settable cant holster from gunners alley and had it a couple days later. i've been wearing it and drawing from it around the house for the last few days, and these are my initial impressions.

i couldn't figure out if i wanted the paddle or belt attachment, so i ordered both.

as usual, the holster is made quite well. unfortunately, i am not impressed at all with how the butt of the pistol "flops" around. i've used both the belt and paddle attachments in both a straight and canted arrangment, and still the butt of the pistol hangs further out than i'd like. (*NOTE* i must admit i'm not built like most men as i have a bit of padding making my hips a little broader than usual.)

anyway, here are some pics to show this holster and others on a wilderness five stitch belt for comparison (all pics are clickable for larger versions):

first off, no holster at all:

Comp-Tac Settable Cant with belt attachment (the pistol butt really flops around in this arrangement):

Comp-Tac Settable Cant with paddle attachment:

for comparison:
    Serpa CQC paddle attachment:

Serpa CQC belt attachment:

KyTac belt holster:

Comp-Tac CTAC IWB:

again, i'm disappointed about the floppiness of the Comp-Tac Settable Cant holster, especially with the belt attachment.

anyone want to recommend a kydex belt holster that will keep the butt of the pistol in close?

Try as I might, I've never found a kydex holster, paddle or belt, that could hold my G23 as close to my body as a leather pancake style holster. I have tried about as many as you have, all to no avail.
    For CC use I have learned to stick with IWB.
    Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by NFEDERIC View Post
    Try as I might, I've never found a kydex holster, paddle or belt, that could hold my G23 as close to my body as a leather pancake style holster. I have tried about as many as you have, all to no avail.
    unfortunately, i'm coming to that conclusion as well. the main reason i'm trying to find a kydex holster is purely one of instant gratification; i don't want to have to wait for a quality leather holster, but that looks like what i'll have to do

I'm looking around for a good paddle holster for my G23.......I love Comp-Tac's 'C' & 'M' TAC holsters, best IWB holsters I've carried with.
    Naturally I'm looking at Comp-Tac's other stuff, and your review points in the same general direction I need to look at......'butt-in-close' and good, secure fit are what I'm looking for.

Thanks for the review E5T......I'll keep searching
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by echo5tango View Post
    again, i'm disappointed about the floppiness of the Comp-Tac Settable Cant holster, especially with the belt attachment.
    Have you tried it with a good double layer leather belt? It might need a stiffer mounting point.

-john

The only holster I found to hug my body as well as a leather pancake is FIST's #9K which is the Kydex form of their leather pancake. it hugs nice and tight. I have yet to find a paddle from any maker that works very well when it comes to concealment.

Quote Originally Posted by NFEDERIC View Post

Quote Originally Posted by bzdog View Post
    Have you tried it with a good double layer leather belt? It might need a stiffer mounting point.

-john
    John,
    How much stiffer is a double layer leather belt going to be over a Wilderness five stitch?

Thank you everyone for your comments. Hopefully, Santa can bring me a leather pancake holster

-e5t

Don't know, I don't have a Wilderness belt, but two layers of leather is pretty stiff.

-john

Quote Originally Posted by bzdog View Post
    Don't know, I don't have a Wilderness belt, but two layers of leather is pretty stiff.

-john
    Maybe someone who has both can chime in about any stiffness difference.

Sponsored Links