Kydex vs hybrid concealability

This is a discussion on Kydex vs hybrid concealability within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Something I've been curious about is will an all kydex IWB single clip holster conceal a gun as well as a hybrid double clip holster ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Kydex vs hybrid concealability

Something I've been curious about is will an all kydex IWB single clip holster conceal a gun as well as a hybrid double clip holster if you were to use the exact same gun on the exact same person wearing the exact same clothes? I'm just speaking in general and not really comparing an exact kydex to and exact hybrid. Just in general will a kydex IWB conceal a gun as well as a hybrid IWB or maybe even better than, or worse? I assume the kydex would be somewhat less comfortable than the hybrid? I've only wore and tried hybrid before and considering trying a all kydex but don't wanna just waste my time if it's equal or worse in concealability to a hybrid.

What kind of gun are you asking about, Andy ?

Or if you'd rather not say, at least what general type and size are you talking about ?

Those things may have a big impact on the answer.
    - testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -

I was thinking about my Glock 43. But I was just curious in a general sense or on average

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

My personal preference is a single clip Kydex AIWB. I did try the N82 (Still single clip) but did not like how it carried my G17 (3:00 carry). The more conventional Hybrid at 3-5 :00 just doesn't appeal to me.
    (5'6" @ 255#) I have mobility issues with my arm and 5:00 just won't happen. Like I said I carry a G17 in Texas (Printing not a real issue here). But, no one has ever noticed my EDC and called me out for it ! (I carry all the time)

Concealed carry is a genie which will not get back in the bottle, no matter how hard the antis might try. ~ Mike1956

The thinnest gun/holster combination will conceal the best. The pressure of the belt will push it all against you. And, clips/loops matter.
    CPLY

VIP Member
    A GLock 43 is a very small gun. A single clip Kydex that is exactly molded to the size of the gun with no extra material sticking out the side will conceal beautifully and is very comfortable for most people. I use this one, but there are other brands also
    https://smile.amazon.com/Vedder-Hols...sters+glock+43

The Vedder is adjustable about every which way, for cant and height, so many choices for you. You can get it from Amazon or from the Vedder web site. The last one I got from Vedder because even with paying shipping it cost less than ordering on Amazon.

Both husband and I have tried hybrids and we hate them. Way too bulky.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Depends on which position of your body you would like to carry. As stated above, the G43 is tiny and should completely disappear regardless of which holster style you use. I have no experience with a Hybrid but I have heard if you move your body in the wrong way while grabbing something off the ground your gun may slip right out of the Hybrid holster. As I said, I have not used a Hybrid so I personally haven't experienced this, but I know people who claim it happened to them before they switched to full Kydex with that nice Kydex snap retention.

Distinguished Member Array Havok's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
    I was thinking about my Glock 43. But I was just curious in a general sense or on average
    Ive used both types of holsters with my G43, and have no problems with either, but I typically use an all kydex holster for one simple reason. Its compact and has one clip, so its easier to put on. Now I use the hybrid holster for my G19.
    Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    The only thing you can have too much of is liberals.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    Ive used both types of holsters with my G43, and have no problems with either, but I typically use an all kydex holster for one simple reason. Its compact and has one clip, so its easier to put on. Now I use the hybrid holster for my G19.
    Does the all kydex you typically use have adjustments for height and cant or is it one of those standard type models?

Standard types are inexpensive, and can be ordered canted. Just try one, there is a very good chance that you will like it. If, for some reason you don't, it will be only $30 resting in a drawer. "Simplify, simplify, simplify!"-- Thoreau

Lead Moderator
    With most things, you need to see what works best for you. I tried a hybrid and did not care for it personally. Others find it works great for them.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array Havok's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
    Does the all kydex you typically use have adjustments for height and cant or is it one of those standard type models?
    Yes it does. I ordered it from 2Aholsters
    Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    The only thing you can have too much of is liberals.

There's a somewhat local person here who makes single clip all kydex holsters and I thought about throwing some support his way however the holsters are not adjustable. Nothing for ride height or cant. Not sure how I'd like that

Sponsor
    Generally speaking, and this is a major generalizations, certainly with lots of exceptions, a good hybrid (either dual clip or single clip), will be more comfortable than a full kydex rig, whereas the kydex holster will usually conceal a little bit better. That's kind of the trade-off of concealed carry though, right? Find something that's comfortable enough that you won't choose to not carry it, but once you pass that threshold, wherever it is for you, you need to consider the concealability and effectiveness you can have with that holster.
    Black Arch Holsters
    www.blackarchholsters.com

SHTF Gear is now Black Arch Holsters

I have both. I believe the combo holds the gun slightly closer to my body and in that way conceals better. Both have their advantages. I would say Black Arch is correct, that the combo provides better all day comfort.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links