Carry gun with Light on the rail?

This is a discussion on Carry gun with Light on the rail? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just put a Stream Light TLR-1 on the rail of my Sig P226 Blackwater 9mm. I find it doesn't add to the weight significantly ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carry gun with Light on the rail?

Question Carry gun with Light on the rail?

I just put a Stream Light TLR-1 on the rail of my Sig P226 Blackwater 9mm. I find it doesn't add to the weight significantly and it balances well. VERY well. Anybody out there carry a light ON the weapon on a regular basis? Does anybody know where i can get a holster fitted to a P226 with a light attached, besides the Tactical Holster for the thighs of the infantryman? Blade Tech makes those, but not, far as I can tell, something IWB. I also wouldn't mind something leather that can be worn OWB maybe in a Hi-Rise. Gary? Can something custom be done? Any suggestions?
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

2. Remove Ads

I don't carry a light on any gun. I was trained to use my light in a seperate hand, and I simply prefer it there. As for a holster, I know some of the Kydex manufacturers makes holsters for light equiped lights and any of the custom leather shops I am sure can make a holster for it.
    I have a Italian made 92F with a rectangular lazer sight that mounts to the gun and the front of the trigger guard. This is not one of those cheapy lasers, it was $500 by itself and is very, very powerful. I would love to carry it now and then but I need to have a custom holster made for it.
    Good Luck
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Would you be interested in a shoulder holster?

www.survivalsheath.com makes a Gunlight Rig

VIP Member
    ExSoldier putting a light on your weapon I have to admit looks real cool but I been covinced by others that it might give away your location in a dim lite room or no matter where you are at. Therefore giving you the disadvantage. I used to have a laser on my g17 but took it off in fear it would tell the bg where to aim.

I have seen duty holsters now being made for guns with specific lights mounted, but the shoulder rig above is the first thing I have seen even close to a CC holster.

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    I think that Bianchi and G&G are making holsters that might be what you are looking for. I'm guessing that this is not a duty carry thing?

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    A question, does it have to be a holster made for light ON the pistol or just a light rail where you can attach the light after you draw the weapon? Most holster makers can add a light rail option to their current line of holsters, and make a holster for the light to carry it. Several that I have talked to simply use a wooden dowel or a metal shim to make up the light rail when using their current non rail dummy pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    Anybody out there carry a light ON the weapon on a regular basis? Does anybody know where i can get a holster fitted to a P226 with a light attached, besides the Tactical Holster for the thighs of the infantryman? [snip] Any suggestions?
    There was a guy making custom kydex holsters on the spot at the Harrisburg Gun Show in June. I had him make an IWB holster for my Colt .380, since it's an old gun and holsters for it are hard to find.

Anyway, he was carrying a G17 with a light OWB. He told me he normally carries the same rig (light and all) in an IWB holster. His company http://www.themalabarfront.com/index.php makes both. The site lists some Glock and XD holsters with lights as well, but none for light-equipped P226s. But they sell P226 holsters (meaning they have a P226 blue gun), so you might want to email them and ask if they can make one for a P226 with a light.
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    I carried my 1911 with a light mounted concealed but in all honesty just prefer to carry a flashlight along with a mag in a mag pouch.

Now if you want to carry it that way, both Survival Sheaths (previously posted) or Don Hume make quailty concealment holsters (including a leather shoulder holster).
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Lightbulb

I have lasers, lights, scopes for the firearms that have rails that are in the boxes I bought them in. However I did buy a bunch of holsters to handle accessories on handguns.

BlackHawk makes an excellent product and has them available for jsut about every weapon, if not they will make it for you. They are headquartered in VA and I always like to help drive local business. The VA state troopers are using their Serpa holsters for their Sigs.

Here's a look;

http://www.blackhawk.com/category1.a...art=&priceend=

There are so many but if economy is an issue this is a viable alternative. YES I realize these are made primarily for Airsoft paint gunners but they are made very well. I have 4 from this manufacturer. UTG or Under the Gun holsters and tactical gear makes great holsters for rail accessories like lights, lasers, scopes, etc... You have to Google UTG holsters because I can't find their website. I bought all of mine either on eBay or another online store. Their quality greatly outweighs their cost. (they are cheap to buy but last!)

I have two for my P220 Carry that are the same size (give or take) as your 226. The UTG fits the best with the least friction on any switches, cables or pressure pads. I have a 226 as well but too old for a rail or I'd shove it in with one of my Xenon lights.

I'm saving the green lasers for my MP5!

I hope that helps.

Wink Yup

Quote Originally Posted by Knuckledrager View Post
    I think that Bianchi and G&G are making holsters that might be what you are looking for. I'm guessing that this is not a duty carry thing?
    Correct. It's kind of an experiement. Probably not a regular mode of carry. Just want to try it out.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Wink Waaaaaay Beyond "Cool"

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Hennessy View Post
    ExSoldier putting a light on your weapon I have to admit looks real cool but I been covinced by others that it might give away your location in a dim lite room or no matter where you are at. Therefore giving you the disadvantage. I used to have a laser on my g17 but took it off in fear it would tell the bg where to aim.
    I'm waaaaay beyond needing to look "cool." I'm taking the laser off my Glock M27 for a couple of reasons, #1 being that I want to sell it so I can save up the $$$ to attend a course at BLACKWATER USA this upcoming summer and I need the bucks. I'm also selling a couple of guns.

The other reason about trhe Laser is that it gives the mistaken impression if it's used for deterrence that you're terrified. All hand or wrist movements are super magnified. Under the tension of the "crush grip" it shakes like you wouldn't believe. I think also that while the beam may be invisible under normal circumstances, any particulate matter (like gunsmoke) illuminates the red beam and draws a straight line to you. This is different from what you were speaking of about the white light.

OTOH, used properly, the gunlight can blind a person's night vision for over an hour. But it's the short time night blindness that is extremely disorienting especially if you know the terrain (like the inside of your own home) and you can be certain the BG does not. The technique I learned was to shine the gun light and move as soon as you douse the beam. This makes it more likely the BG will fire if he can see anything beyond the spot in his eyes at the place you just LEFT. You use the spot (tactically) in brief bursts to ID the target. Use the tritiums to detect your sights and fire. Use the white light to assess damage and reacquire the target if he's moved. See? Illuminate and MOVE. Fire. Illuminate and MOVE...

I just put a Stream Light TLR-1 on the rail of my Sig P226 Blackwater 9mm. Does anybody know where i can get a holster fitted to a P226 with a light attached, besides the Tactical Holster for the thighs of the infantryman?
    Bianchi's Model 90 Vision will do the job and it gives you a crossdraw capability option too.

Here's their description..............

Fits: SIG P220R, P226R w/Streamlight® and ITI M3, M6, M3X; Streamlight® TLR-1 / TLR-2 and SureFire® X200

Finish:

* Plain Tan * Plain Black

Carry:

* Strongside or Cross Draw

* Offered for a variety pistols with M3/M6/TLR-2 and SureFire® X200 lights attached

* Lightweight and compact design

* Semi-closed bottom protects light lens yet still allows debris to fall through

* Unique two-way belt loop allows carry in strong side or cross draw position; 1.75" (45mm) belt loop

Senior Moderator
    ...so I can save up the $$$ to attend a course at BLACKWATER USA this upcoming summer...
    Hmmm, I'm thinkin' about goin' to Blackwater next summer myself. I'd be takin' the Level II Handgun course, but that'd be kinda neat to be there at the same time if it worked out.

If you ever go through a decent simulator, the question of a WML will be settled - it's invaluable. But, it should not be used as a general illumination tool. It's primary role would be to illuminate and hopefully partially blind and distract someone you have to shoot. The only other application I can think of would be a situation where you know there's a BG, no innocents, and you have every intent of pointing your gun at him. A simple example for me would be in my home. If I have an intruder, and I have accounted for my wife, and the BG closes and confronts me, he will have gun and light pointed at him. That's pure self-defense and no one else is endangered.

A handheld would be a must for almost all other applications. But you could always remove the WML and use it as a handheld if need be.

Ex,

I have noticed the same thing, the newer generation lights are quite small, light, and effective. It almost makes one think, why not?
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links