Disadvantages of Tuckable Holster

This is a discussion on Disadvantages of Tuckable Holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Over the last several months I have read coments leary of tuckable holsters principly because of the perceived extra time it takes to daw the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Disadvantages of Tuckable Holster

Disadvantages of Tuckable Holster

Over the last several months I have read coments leary of tuckable holsters principly because of the perceived extra time it takes to daw the gun.

Without intending to quarel with that premise, and for the sake of discussion accepting the truth of that statement, I have a question that has been on my mind for some time.

There are times when I simply must wear my shirt tucked, and I assume other members of the forum are faced with a similar situation. So, my question is this: Am I better off wearing my semi-automatic in an IWB tucked and get the greater firpower(10 or 15 rounds), and sacrifice speed of draw, or carrying my S&W 642 in a pocket holster and be limited to 5 rounds.

I fully realize that this kind of question is a judgment call and that there is no easy "right" or "wrong' amswer, but would be particularly interested in hearing from the experienced members of the Forum on this question.

Thanks.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

2. Remove Ads

CC is a give and take proposition. It will obviously take slightly longer to draw with a shirt tucked in but that is how I have to carry most of the time. To compensate I think you have to practice good situational awareness so you give yourself the time you need to draw. I also practice so I am proficient with drawing from the tucked position. I don't want to ever be in a fast draw situation. Drawing from a pocket holster may not be any faster. I picked a good holster and I practice. Is it perfect, no, but I think it is the best way to go for me. Also, what about the times you have to wear a cover garment? I know you are in FL but it can get cool there sometimes too. Having a jacket over the gun can make it just a little harder to get to. Like I said practice situational awareness and stay out of those situations that require a fast draw.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

My two cents...

In my office, the standard dress is casual, and therefore I wear a tucked in polo style golf shirt or a tucked in button down with slacks. I have worn tuckables and felt that as a holster, they're nice, but a pain to get on the belt and tucked properly. I moved over to the S&W 442 for a few reasons. I talked to a police officer friend, and he told me that situations in where guns are drawn and used are generally drawn within a 7-10 foot radius, and generally an average of two shots are fired. He recommended the 442, but until some kind people here helped solidify it, I remained hesitant.

I have carried my 442 for over 2 months now (after extensive time at the range to fell comfortable with carrying it), and I just might not go back. I carry it in a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster, and it disappears. I can take it anywhere, switch it from side to side if needed. Even though I love my other guns, this small 5 shot has been my solution to all that effort of trying to tuck in a shirt around the "tuckable holster"... Stick it in your pocket!
    NRA Member

"...the Constitution does not say Government shall decree the right to keep and bear arms. The Constitution says ‘the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.’” - Ronald Reagan

I prefer the tucked option personally. My build and my dress doesn't allow for a pocket carry, besides the fact that I really don't have any weapon suitable for pocket carry.

It is your call, and your call only. I would agree that in many cases the tucked option probably isn't any slower or faster than a pocket carry.

Someone else has also posted in the past that even though you go the tucked route your not limited to the tucked option. It can also be used as a iwb holster also kinda two for one. Pocket holsters are pretty much limited to that.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

You know Murphy says when you are tucked you will need the draw speed, and when you pocket carry you will be dealing with 6 bad guys....
    So how about you pocket carry and use that to buy you the time to draw the tucked semi?

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Personally, if I had to choose, I'd pocket carry.
    However, I appendix carry my guns, so carrying tuckable is not that slow or a problem.

I have more dexterity doing something with my hands in front of me vs behind my back. Also, one can quickly get both of their hands to the appendix area rather quickly (Just think how quickly you can cover the family jewels when you needed to, & that's lower).

I can also protect my gun easier along with drawing it quicker. I can also get to it while driving w/o a problem. Strange as it may seem, a larger gun (Within reason) is more comfortable carrying appendix than a smaller gun. My Glock 19 slides down my leg comfortabley, while my Kahr PM9 tends to dig a little.

Just food for thought. Personally, I like to appendix carry my Glock 19 or Kahr PM9 (Tucked if need be), while carrying my Kel-Tec P-32 in a wallet holster in one of my back pockets (My wallet with badge & ID is in the other back pocket).
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Senior Moderator
    I have to have a tucked in shirt at work and I have found that Smartcarry works best for me. I can draw from Smartcarry faster than a Tuckable and a tuckable is faster than pocket carry for me unless the pockets are bigger than my standard slack pockets and my hands are in them to start with.
    Last edited by pgrass101; September 25th, 2007 at 12:50 PM.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I'll chime in since I tuck & pocket carry at the same time.

I am going to respond with a couple of personal statements.
    - It is comforting to be able to stand in front of someone with your hand on your gun in your pocket.
    - I am faster drawing from a pocket with my hand in my pocket while standing than drawing from a tucked IWB.
    - My P-3AT is the largest gun I can realisticly pocket carry.
    - In a pressure situation, moving with my hands already outside my pocket; I am slower to draw from the pocket than from tucked IWB.
    - Seated I am slower to draw from a pocket than from tucked IWB.
    - I can carry a larger gun more comfortably tucked IWB than in a pocket.
    - A tucked gun will not work well without a sturdy belt or without pants and shirts large enough to accommodate both the gun & the holster.
    - I practice with both methods as often as possible.
    - There are occasions when pocket carry isn't feasible.
    - There are occasions when tucked IWB isn't feasible.

I use both methods to acheive the goal of staying armed as much as possible.
    Mine: Glock 36............Wife's: Ruger SP101 3"
    -------Ruger SR9....................Ruger SR9c
    -------S&W SW99 .45.............Charter Arms Undercover

Hidden Defense - Personal gun & holster designs/reviews.

Thanks all for your comments. I appreciate it very much. Would like to hear from anyone else facing the same dilemma.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Can you do both?

Ken

If you think that tuckable is the right option for you then you should do it.

If I wear IWB then I still need to pull my shirt up to draw, don't I ?? And if I pocket carry I can't draw sitting down ... and if I SOB carry somebody is gonna tell me that I'll be injured forever ... and if I ankle carry I won't be able to draw fast enough and if I thunderwear carry then I have to ... yada yada yada you get the idea.

This is why Buffalo Bill Cody said that the best way to carry a gun is in your hand. If you think tuckable will work for you then check out all the great tuckables out there - ubg, bearclaw holsters, k&d, milt sparks yada yada yada ...

It has always been a matter of comfort with my weapon. If you feel more comfortable with an IWB tucked, then by all means go with it. There are some good rigs out that minimize the added time and, with practice, pulling up the shirt and drawing the weapon can become second nature.

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyKen View Post
    Can you do both?

Ken
    Well, I suppose that I can, but would prefer not to carry two guns around at the same time. I rarely, if ever, go to places where I would actually need a back up gun.

Ron

J. R. R. Tolkien

I tuckable carry my 5" 1911 and my Firestar M43.

I pocket carry my S&W Model 60

I Smartcarry my Model 60.

They all have their place depending on the mode of dress of the day. All concealment is a compromise and I find the three about the same.

Quick 1.5 cents worth..........

I go tucking an IWB most of the time. Sitting or standing I can get to my sidearm in the same amount of time......I practice and I know what I can and CAN NOT do with a tucked sidearm.
    Pocket carry works VERY well but I just don't like it much......that's just me. Too much weight in the pocket, not enough room, blah, blah, blah.
    If you can, try both meathods of carry and weigh the pro's and con's of each and make your decision from there. The situation dictating your carrying and what works best for you will become appearent pretty quick.......and your SA will determin how quickly you'll bring ANY gun, carried in EITHER manner, into the fight.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links