Never too early to start thinking about a holster

This is a discussion on Never too early to start thinking about a holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Soon, very soon, I'll be sporting the XD40. Some months ago I wanted both a .44 chambered revolver and an XD, so naturally I decided ...

Thread: Never too early to start thinking about a holster

Soon, very soon, I'll be sporting the XD40. Some months ago I wanted both a .44 chambered revolver and an XD, so naturally I decided I'd just get both.

The XD has a lot of holster options, but specifically I'm wondering if anyone makes a crossdraw, IWB, and possibly tuckable holster. There's lots of holsters but this particular combination doesn't seem to present itself too often. I may have to compromise on the tuckable attribute.

Alas, my old double thick leather work belt has finally broken. Well that's okay it looked like crap anyway. I'll want to pick up a belt with the new holster.

I'm also curious to know if anyone can recommend a horizontal magazine holder, single or double.

I won't be getting this for a while yet. I'll have to test fire the gun first and make sure I didn't get a fluke XD. But I know good holster makers are universally well back logged so it would be good to figure out what I would want now.

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar
    I might appear snobbish here, but I like Bianchi products. See if they have a holster to fit your particular firearm. Quality only hurts once.

I actually have some Bianchi products

And they're all right. But they don't make what I'm looking for...

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    Well lots of makers offer the XD leather as its a very very popular gun for CCW.
    Just look around and see what suits your needs and wants.........

BTW, Bianchi is NOT snobbish..........If you said you have to buy a Delfatti made from Alligator skin......then your a holster snob! I know, bad holster maker. :chairshot

Machine made stuff is good for alot of people Bianchi, Galco and so on make a zillion holsters a year. Lots of people dont have the patience for Custom made stuff.

Shoot well.
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Larsen
    BTW, Bianchi is NOT snobbish..........If you said you have to buy a Delfatti made from Alligator skin......then your a holster snob! I know, bad holster maker. :chairshot
    Eric, Eric, Eric.....one person's holster snob is another's discerning buyer

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    But I know good holster makers are universally well back logged so it would be good to figure out what I would want now.
    Euc,

You're right on the money there! I ordered my last holsters several months before I took delivery on the pistol.

Give a few of the holster makers a call - the ones I have spoken with have been very personable and generous with their time. They can give you and idea of what is "do-able," what isn't, and offer suggestions based on their experience.

SSKC
    Holster snob/discerning buyer

You can order a MS VM II from Lightning Arms Sports. The people are very nice and as of 2 weeks ago they had one for a 4" XD in stock.

http://www.lightningarms.com/products.htm

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    Matt......ok, Im ashamed and sorry! :chairshot Bad holster maker!
    In all honesty I meant it as a compliment.....You are the Custom Maker that we all want to be when we grow up. Thats all I meant! K??????????
    Ill go back to my corner now n give myself 100 lashes with some Horween hardrolled hide!
    Shoot well...........
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye680
    You can order a MS VM II from Lightning Arms Sports. The people are very nice and as of 2 weeks ago they had one for a 4" XD in stock.

http://www.lightningarms.com/products.htm
    FYI

As of last Saturday they had two, black and cordovan, both cowhide. I bought the black one so now it's just cordovan.....unless they restocked.

So far I've bought two holsters off them. A little pricey but their service was quick. They are in OR, I am in VA, and both times I ordered from them the holster came in two days.
    "EVERYONE is operating with only partial information" :hand27:
    Some Wise Guy, USA 2001

Based on a good source, Lightning Arms has 7 black RH, 2 black LH, 4 RH cordovan, 1 LH cordovan, and 1 LH natural finish 4" XD 9/40 VM-2 holsters in stock; as well as a few 3" and 5".

You can usually get what you want from a good custom holster maker. Most will have something in their basic inventory that can be made to suit your needs.
    The only thing needed for evil to exist is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!!

Links