Pocket vs. Wallet carry

Pocket vs. Wallet carry

This is a discussion on Pocket vs. Wallet carry within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know many of you regularly use pocket holsters, but I'm considering a wallet holster. I carry lots of things in my front pockets & ...

Pocket vs. Wallet carry

I know many of you regularly use pocket holsters, but I'm considering a wallet holster. I carry lots of things in my front pockets & don't know that I could get a small gun in there as well. I normally wear jeans.

How does wallet carry work? It seems to me that with a good wallet holster, there shouldn't be a printing issue. Is it uncomfortable or not?
    I've got a Kel-tec .32 & Kimber Ultra Carry II. I would like to carry the Kimber that way in warm weather, but suspect it is just too large.

Hope someone can help out with info.

I front pocket carry, and on occasion wallet carry ( I assume you mean by wallet carry carrying in a hip pocket), a Keltec P3AT which is the same size roughly as the P32. Wallet carry can be uncomfortable if you are sitting for more than 15 or 20 minutes on a minimally padded seat. I find pocket carry easier to draw from when standing. Neither is easy when sitting. For wallet carry you need to be sure your back pocket is large enough to conceal the top of the gun. In some of my pants the rear of the slide on the P3AT can show. I also just don't like sitting on my gun, but in some cases it may be the better choice. Wallet carry will not print if the wallet is well made whereas you can get printing from pocket carry sometimes. With front pocket carry, I can literally draw the gun into my hand ready to pull it without so much as a hint of what I'm doing with my hand in my pocket. Wiith wallet carry, I find it more difficult to be discreet. Also, with tight hip pockets it can be almost impossible to get a good grip on the gun prior to pulling it out. There are a few holsters out there that you do not remove the gun from. They are integral to the gun and you fire the gun in the holster. I have no experience with those so I don't know how well they work. Anyway, that is my two cents worth. Good luck and I'm sure you will find the solution that works for you.
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms ... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes ... they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. Thomas Jefferson

The only legal option, at this time, is something along the lines of:
    http://www.artofthehide.com/index.html

The ATF ruled, some years ago that a holster concealing the slide/barrel, or otherwise disguising the fact that the item contained was indeed a pistol constituted an AOW (Any Other Weapon- requiring the fees and licensing). That's the reason you don't see the little Galco Wallet holsters any longer.

Advantages: its a natural motion/draw if someone is robbing you. Disadvantages: none really, as long as you practice, and have a system that works and appears natural. For instance, you'll want to use a money-clip or mini-wallet in a front pocket, for it not to appear strange, having a bulky wallet in back, but never reaching for it.

Edit to add: unless you wear sive 54" waist Levi's, no rear pocket will be large enough for the Kimber.

I too carry multiple things with me in my pockets; wallet, blackberry, keys, gun, etc... Depending on the pants that I wear sometimes my P-3AT goes to a back pocket instead of the front right pocket. Since I also wear IWB tucked at about 4:15 if I have to carry my BUG in a back pocket it goes into my back left. This also gives me an opposite hand option if I ever need it. I use the same holster as I would for front carry (read about it here). It's definitely not as comfortable sitting, but it's tolerable for long periods if I have a cushy chair (which I do at work). It works for the times I need it.

dhbry232 is right on about pocket size, it matters.
    Mine: Glock 36............Wife's: Ruger SP101 3"
    -------Ruger SR9....................Ruger SR9c
    -------S&W SW99 .45.............Charter Arms Undercover

Hidden Defense - Personal gun & holster designs/reviews.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post

The ATF ruled, some years ago that a holster concealing the slide/barrel, or otherwise disguising the fact that the item contained was indeed a pistol constituted an AOW (Any Other Weapon- requiring the fees and licensing). That's the reason you don't see the little Galco Wallet holsters any longer.
    YIKES, I didn't know that, thanks for telling me. Years ago I bought the little 2-shot High Std derringer, and I have a wallet holster for it, that completely hides the gun, and has a place for two extra cartridges. Actually I don't carry/use it any more since there are so many other ccw's out there that are better. I guess I have a "collectors' piece now?
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Rob is 100% correct, although the wallet holsters were a great concealment form of carry if you are caught with one you are in big trouble. They have still been sold on Ebay but as a novelty only. I have a Ron Graham "Maverick " holster and it is very high quality. Mine is a modified version because it has belt loops cut into it. So mine can be used for rear , front or OWB carry. When I bought the first of my Guardians I planned on rear pocket carry, but it didn't take but 20 min or so trying to draw from the rear pocket. I'm sorry but at least for me there is no way this can be done in a manner to not draw attention. It is also plain painful to sit on hard surfaces. So I then went to pocket carry. The leather holster just didn't work for pocket carry. If the leather holster is made where it conforms to all the contours of the gun it will fit the gun to tight and this is not good for pocket carry. I recommend the "pouch" type holsters, the Mika, the Nemisis etc... My personal favorite is the Nemisis , I have one for both of my Guardians and I use the Maverick holster the few times that I belt carry. Here is a pick of the Maverick, it has a removable panel that simply snaps in place.

When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Links