Let's see your mag carriers!

This is a discussion on Let's see your mag carriers! within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been thinking of looking for some new mag carriers and wanted to see what people have and what they thought of them. Just to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let's see your mag carriers!

I've been thinking of looking for some new mag carriers and wanted to see what people have and what they thought of them.

Just to be fair, I'll start. Sorry some of the pictures are a bit blurry, but I'm too lazy to re-do them.

These are double mag carriers from Galco in both single and double stack versions.

These tend to be what I carry with now, but I'm not totally happy with them.

Retention is adjustable, but with the retention controls in the middle, I find that with both mags going one direction that one tends to be "sticky". Tension is OK, but not great. They are fairly comfortable. I like the snap on. Moves around a bit more than I'd like with my 1.25" belt.
    Attached Images

Here are the Comp-Tac mag carriers. Retention on these can be really tuned to perfection. I love the retention on these. They are really well built. Unfortunately they are a bit uncomfortable unless I'm wearing something between myself and the mag carrier. Also you need to be a gorilla to get these things on and off.

Oh, and I seem to have a disagreement with Comp-Tac over which is left and which is right (not an actual argument, just what I got was opposite of what I expected).

-john
    Attached Images

The Crossbreed tuckable mag carrier. I don't actually want to 'tuck' -- I actually just want something comfortable with good retention. Well, this is comfortable, but I hate the clip. I also have a hard grasping the mag due to the leather liner and the very tall Kydex portion. The other big issue is you really only can wear one since they are so wide.

-john
    Attached Images

VIP Member
    HBE Specialty Leather combination mag (9mm/.40 double-stack)/flashlight carrier:

USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Mag carrier? Well.... I got one a dem! But, by golly, its a pocket holster too!

Quote Originally Posted by srfl View Post
    HBE Specialty Leather combination mag (9mm/.40 double-stack)/flashlight carrier:
    Looks sweet. What do you like and/or dislike about your carrier?

Thanks,

-john

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bzdog View Post
    Looks sweet. What do you like and/or dislike about your carrier?

Thanks,

-john
    John...nothing to dislike....what I like is that the carrier holds the mag and light tight against my body, but not so tight that I can't extract the mag or light; both are held in good, comfortable angles, and the workman ship is primo.

And the thing I like the most...now I have zero excuses for not carrying a flashlight.

Eric at HBE does stellar work.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bzdog View Post
    Here are the Comp-Tac mag carriers. Retention on these can be really tuned to perfection. I love the retention on these. They are really well built. Unfortunately they are a bit uncomfortable unless I'm wearing something between myself and the mag carrier. Also you need to be a gorilla to get these things on and off.

Oh, and I seem to have a disagreement with Comp-Tac over which is left and which is right (not an actual argument, just what I got was opposite of what I expected).

-john
    I have the Comp-tac and I know what you're saying about the comfort. I would think it's about the same with any others though because it holds it tight against your body. It's the mag against the bare skin. I prefer to have a shirt between the carrier and me too, it's just more comfortable just like a gun is. I have nothing to compare it to , this is my only mag carrier. Am I wrong on this?

Assistant Administrator
    I have more than this but no idea where to look for old ones! The Fobus sees mostly just range use. The Galco is my favorite and has a belt clip on rear. That one suits me well.

The Mil.Tech is also range use and occasional day to day - it is the best for retention and access is still quite fast despite flaps.

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by robere View Post
    I have the Comp-tac and I know what you're saying about the comfort. I would think it's about the same with any others though because it holds it tight against your body. It's the mag against the bare skin. I prefer to have a shirt between the carrier and me too, it's just more comfortable just like a gun is. I have nothing to compare it to , this is my only mag carrier. Am I wrong on this?
    If you look closely at the side picture of the Comp-Tac, you can see it was designed to tilt the mag inward, I suspect to avoid printing. This makes it gouge more easily than one that holds the mag parallel to the body. Just my guess.

-john

Assistant Administrator
    On this subject - a question for all ..........

How do you always find space for the mag holder? I usually have Leatherman and cell on left and rig on right ... and adding a mag holder is far from easy, which is why I resort to a pocket sometimes! Even these days managing to keep my E1L on belt is tricky.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post

How do you always find space for the mag holder? I usually have Leatherman and cell on left and rig on right ... and adding a mag holder is far from easy, which is why I resort to a pocket sometimes! Even these days managing to keep my E1L on belt is tricky.
    You just aren't eating enough! Once you get a 44 inch waist like I have it's easy!
    I am sure any of the custom shops could modify one of their traditional double mag holders to be a single mag and leatherman. Or you could possibly get by with a stock one depending on which tool you have and how particular you are about the fit.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post

Chris...I place the mag holder as a priority item; just one notch below my holstered firearm in order of priority. Comm (cell phone) is next. Then comes other stuff; in my case badge and cuffs.

I manage to find a spot for each item; particularly the spare mag on my belt.

By me applying that mindset, I always find a spot for my spare mag.

I'm considering purchasing the DeSantis "Tuck-This" for my Kel-Tec P-11 and then for my Glock G23. Do any of you have personal experience? Having the magazine holstered with the gun seems convenient when getting dressed, but having the magazine on the strong side seems like it could become cumbersome when needing a quick reload.

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jofrdo View Post
    I'm considering purchasing the DeSantis "Tuck-This" for my Kel-Tec P-11 and then for my Glock G23. Do any of you have personal experience? Having the magazine holstered with the gun seems convenient when getting dressed, but having the magazine on the strong side seems like it could become cumbersome when needing a quick reload.
    jofrdo,

Limatunes has a rig with the mag strong side along with her 1911! She posted about it in a thread here on the forums... maybe someone can help you dig it up (i'm not quite that good yet, and I don't remember which thread it was!) She said, IIRC, taht it took a little getting used to, but she actually likes it!

--Jim

Chris... I carry a pocket knife as a handy tool, and it resides in one of my front pockets (usually right, but am finding interference between it and holster depending on pants, so am evaluating it in my left pocket...). I have a leatherman in my duffel bag or in my car... not necessarily on my belt.

I carry my cell phone and my mag opposite my rig, so on my left side, and occasionally a flashlight there as well (or my E2e is clipped into the carpenter pocket in my jeans ) I just feel like the mag is part of the essential equipment... IMHO. I'd rather be inconvenienced, and have to use my defensive knife to cut open the packaging that I have in front of me... or have to walk back to my car / duffelbag (bag is usually when i'm working the ambulance... and have no firearm anyway!) if i need the leatherman!

--Jim
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links