Defensive Carry banner

Belly band holster

8K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  FlyboyLDB 
#1 ·
If anyone uses this, like the one Galco makes, how do you like it?

#2 ·
I have the Galco. I just don't like the feel of it but it's handy if you have to tuck your shirt in as you can position it for a cross draw and access your gun through the front buttons without messing with your shirt tail. Been much too hot here in Western Colorado for me to use the thing this summer.

#4 ·
For sure on the T shirt. I have a couple of them and use them every now and then when super deep cover is a must. I wear them less since I got my Guardians that will disappear in any front pocket.

#6 ·
I have one that I use occasionally. I haven't used it during cooler weather yet, but it sure can get hot and scratchy at times during the summer. I got a SmartCarry about 1 month ago, and haven't even dreamed of going back to the belly band since. The SmartCarry is a bit pricey ($50 or so) but it's about 1000x more comfortable than a belly band, just as easy to draw from, and you can wear it under practically anything short of spandex bicycle shorts. Anyway, just my opinion.

#9 ·
I must say i like Smartcarry a lot better than Bellybands, so much so I don't use my bellyband anymore.

#10 ·
Well, I must offer the rare support for Galco's bellyband. After a bit of experimenting, I have found my Taurus 24/7 pro full-size just disappears with this holster. I can wear it any way I like, with no clips, etc to poke out. I have worn with and without t-shirts, in a fast-food restaurant, and TN has been brutally hot, at least to this Michigan boy. 90-105 all summer, added to the heat in a kitchen environment, and I can honestly say that, once I worked out the best way for me to wear it, the holster certainly never added to the discomfort. Carry is extremely secure, I have no qualms about jogging out to a customer outside, and no one who isnt supposed to know has ever had the slightest clue. I like it quite a bit, and have no complaints save the inconvenient placement of the spare mag pouch sewn into this one. No matter where I wear the waepon, with 2 choices of pouches for the weapon, the mag pouch never seems to be in a convenient place.

#11 ·
I use a chest band. Purchased from a guy that travels the gun show circuit here in Georgia & Tennessee. His Company is called Bush Whackers. It has a non slip backing and works well. His design cants the gun ever so slightly towards the rear - the gun is completely concealed under the arm. I can post a phone # and a Pic - but I don't think he has a web site. It was around $39. He let me try it on at the gun show - I loved it. I can wear it with a tucked in dress shirt or polo and never print - with a belly band I would have to wear untucked. Like any deep concealment holster - speed of draw is a concern - but if you can't wear otherwise - this is a great option to be armed.

#12 ·
This is the type I prefer... I've gone through one already and working on my second one!

Very comfortable and the crossed shoulder straps really help carry the weight of the gun and reloads!

http://www.gunnersecurity.com/holster-shoulder.html

I pack a G-23 in it for 18 hours and hardly know I'm carrying a gun!

#15 ·
The retention strap over the gun is all velcro and can be completely removed. I don't use it when I'm wearing that holster.

The gun is held snug enough and I've used it with a dummy Glock of accurate weight when teaching defense and control tactics classes specifically to test and see if I would lose the gun without the retention strap in a struggle or fight. So far the gun has never fallen yet!

#16 ·
Here's my thing: I used a belly band for a few years. As previously mentioned by another poster, I wore mine high with the weapon under the armpit (belly being the widest point of my physique), accessible by reaching through the button-up. Unfortunately, the particular brand I used (and still own) had a one piece velcro strap retainer, which I hated. The sound of a long strip of velcro releasing is a dead giveaway. So, I just tucked the strap away and went open top. This wasn't always ideal, as a few times while bending over (did I mention the belly issue?), the weapon ejected into my tucked (thank God) shirt. Also, on mine, the end of the velcro connection tended to roll up, causing a print vertically along by breast bone. Not a big deal on a button-up, but looks really bad with a tee or golf shirt.

I have a tee shirt holster which performs a similar function, but I would prefer having one belly band that I can use all the time.

So I am looking for a belly band that has the following characteristics:

Ability to ride high across chest.
No seams or connection points to print through shirt.
Adjustable thumb snap or small thumb velcro retention.
Weapon canted a la crossdraw for ease of draw from under concealment.

Any suggestions?

#17 · (Edited)
The one I described works well. As I described, it cants a little to the rear. It does not make it any more difficult to draw. It does balance the gun and also makes it a little more concealed. I think you are asking for a more horizontal carry - which would destroy the concealability factor. The other thing that you describe where the connection point prints - I agree. It makes it ever so slightly thicker. The ideal fasten point would be under the opposing arm. But mine also suffers from this. Button up shirt takes care of it. These chest or chest shoulder bands are much better than the shirts - the shirts stretch out and allow the gun to wobble around. The one someone else posted above looks very similar to mine and should work fine. jmo

#19 ·
The BushWacker that I utilize does not come with any type of strap. The retention is great - I can bend over without losing my gun. Here is his info - you can call and see if he has any pictures posted anywhere. I will post one when a get a few minutes. The BushWacker David Jenkins PO Box 55 Dillsboro, NC 28725 828-736-5196 I have not tried the gunner security band - so I cannot comment if it is better, worse or the same. But this gives us all another option.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.