max-con snaps help, before I snap

This is a discussion on max-con snaps help, before I snap within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a max-con for a commander that I've had for a while and worn quite a bit. The thing about has me ready to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: max-con snaps help, before I snap

I have a max-con for a commander that I've had for a while and worn quite a bit. The thing about has me ready to go crazy. It seems that no matter how much I wear it, or what belt I use, I just for the life of me, have the WORST time trying to snap these loop snaps over a belt. I have and do use a Sparks 1 1/2". A Wilderness 5 stitch. And a beltman belt. About 3/4 of the time, I can get the back loop to snap, but the front is just a "bear" to try to get snapped without taking the belt loose, feeding it through an already snapped loop. I have a VMII that was this tight when I first got it, but after wearing it and snapping it a few times, they loosened enough to were they go on much easier.

Is there a secret to these snaps that might loosen the front up some? I do like the holster, but having to undo my belt most every time I need to take it off and then put it back on, has me ready to throw this holster every time I have to do this. Thanks guys.

John

All my holsters have clips, so I'm not expert here, but I might try a very small amount of lubricant on the snaps if you haven't already done that.

Lubricant to stretch them? It isn't that the snaps won't snap, they snap fine with the holster off the belt. It's when you put the belt in the snaps, I can't get the bottom of the snap low enough to clip it first and then the top. It seems the loop needs to be just a tad longer or something. It's just way to difficult to snap the front snap and I have to end up undoing the belt and feeding it through.

John

Are these the typical pull the dot snaps? I used them on my custom holsters for a while, but I found the force needed to snap and unsnap inconsistent.

Yes they are. They snap fairly easy without a belt but with a belt through the front, it is very hard to next to impossible. Is there any way to stretch the front leather just a little without damaging it? Thanks.

john

I'd contact Gary B. for advice on the problem.

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    What I found on mine is if I start from the bottom of the snap, get it aligned and than snap it in place starting with pressure at the bottom and rolling upward to the top. It will stay snapped. Give this a try and see if it works for you.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Thanks for the reply but that's what i do. The problem is, the loop is so tight that I can't get the snap down at all at the bottom because the belt is right up against the snap. The rear loop has just a little clearance between the top of the belt and the snap, that I can get the bottom started and snap it. There is no option with the front to do this. It seems like the leather needs about a 1/16 or 1/8 inch more room so it will snap easier or at all. If I could stretch the leather just a little, it should snap fine.

John

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    I'd contact Gary for a new loop.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

I have three max-con's and have this issue on all of them. When I switched to a wilderness belt the problem all but went away but with a double thick leather belt it is like you said, it is almost impossible to snap it.

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

If you notice, the rear loop is slightly larger than the front loop.

Gary sells replacement loops! All you have to do is get the same size loop as on the rear or go for a set of loops for a larger belt.

I have a double layer bull hide belt from The Belt Man and I have the same problem with the front loops on my Max Con V.

It was then that I discovered the rear loop seems to be just a skosh larger than the front loop.

Gary is a design genius so it is probably designed that way for a reason. (just like the belt slots on his Def Con OWB holsters).

I have gotten much better at doing the snaps on my holster with practice, but contact Gary and he'll make you happy with something that works for you!

Take care and enjoy the holster. It's probably one of the best of best.

Personally, I have not had a more comfortable holster, ever!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

The loops "are" different sizes for a reason. But the front (smaller of the two) does not have to be so tight around a belt. It is IMO a design flaw even for Gary when using a double thick carry belt. The rear is larger in order to allow the holster to cant slightly when sitting for better comfort/placement when sitting. The front strap is ment to be a bit more snug but IMO not that snug.

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

While on the subject of snaps- I've been curious. What exactly is a "one way snap" and how is it different than other snaps in use?

Quote Originally Posted by bgdawgrr View Post
    While on the subject of snaps- I've been curious. What exactly is a "one way snap" and how is it different than other snaps in use?

A "one way snap" or "pull the dot" is a snap that originated for marine use, on boat canvas. The intent is that you face the "to open direction" leeward so that the wind would not undo your canvas. They work by means of a tab inside the snap that prevents the snap from being closed or opened in any direction but the intended.

Most holster makers use them. And the ones that conform are fantastic for holster use. I found them to be inconsistent in the amount of force used to close and open (especially open). Some snaps delivered were almost impossible to open once closed (even in the intended direction). After a few complaints from customers, I started using normal snaps.

By the way, I just checked out Gary's site. I am glad I am a kydex maker and not competing against his. Very nice holsters.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links