Milt Sparks VMII's for p239 and G19

This is a discussion on Milt Sparks VMII's for p239 and G19 within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello all, Received my VMII for the glock19 today and just had to share some pictures. I've had the VMII for the p239 for about ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Milt Sparks VMII's for p239 and G19

Thumbs up Milt Sparks VMII's for p239 and G19

Hello all,

Received my VMII for the glock19 today and just had to share some pictures. I've had the VMII for the p239 for about a month now and the draw on the one for the g19 seems to be rougher than the 239, even when it was brand new also. The VMII has to be the most comfortable holster I have used, distributes the weight great and I love the stiff throat for holstering. Ordered a Dakota Defender from topgun so I will definitely have to compare the two when it arrives, Kevin does great work so i'm sure it will compare to the milt sparks quality . Thanks for looking!

2. Remove Ads

Beautiful holsters. They are one of the best. Please post your thoughts on how the Dakota Defender compares. I have a Dakota on order for my M&P Compact. I currently carry it in a VMII. I really like the Sparks, but I tend to prefer holsters w/out the reinforced mouth (i.e. Max-Con, Dakota Defender, Watch-6). Nice guns!

Nice guns

So the Dakota Defender arrived today. There are some pro's and con's when comparing it to the VMII.

1. Comfort- Both holsters are very comfortable and I would have to say that the dakota may be a little better because of how thin it is. In comparing this holster with the Milt Sparks Watch Six the Dakota Defender would win hands down in detail from what I have seen.

2. Ease of Holstering- Both are very easy to holster and draw and share very similar retention. The VMII will probably be easier for one-handed holstering in the future do to the reinforced mouth.

3. Detail- The dakota wins in the amount of detail that went into the holster. Every shape of the gun can be found in the holster including the slide. The VMII also shows alot of detail and has every amount of detail that is needed.

4. Trigger Guard- The VMII for sure has a more complete coverage of the trigger guard which is very important to me, especially with the Glock is the firearm in question. I had a similar lack of coverage on the trigger guard with the maverik defender. There is an improvement with the dakota and it covers the trigger well enough for carry but not as much as the VMII.

The kydex clips are very nice in the ease of putting on the holster but I still prefer to the leather straps. Kevin does have that option however this holster and if I was ordering directly from Kevin that would be my choice. The cant was perfect the way it came with the clips and clips hold everything in place just fine. I guess its the look that has an effect on the rest of quality leather. However the ability to have deep concealment is a plus. I had an order in with Kevin for a dakota defender for about a month now but after finding this one online I had to save myself the couple month more wait. I am going to go with the Loredo Defender when changing my order.

Both holsters are the best choice for leather IMO and both serve their purpose depending on season and attire. For the price and a couple month less wait time I would strongly suggest going with K&D holsters, K&D is a great choice and Kevin offers nothing but the best in customer service . Here are some pics.

Thanks for the review. Now all you need is one of Gary's holsters and we can have a real showdown! :-)

-john

Quote Originally Posted by bzdog View Post
    Thanks for the review. Now all you need is one of Gary's holsters and we can have a real showdown! :-)

-john
    Thanks for the review. As stated earlier, I carry my M&P 40C in a VMII. I also have a Dakota Defender and a Max-Con on order for the same gun. Therefore I am hoping to make this showdown happen someday. Enjoy!

VIP Member
    Yup! Love the VM-II, I have several!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Sponsor
    SIG239, Thank you for your business and the feedback on the Dakota Defender. Nice job!

Tom

http://www.topgunsupply.com - Factory Authorized SIG Sauer Parts Distributor, Magazines, Holsters, Night Sights, Firearms

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    Nice rigs and nice pistols. I love the VMII that I have for my 1911.

Sig239...perhaps I'll sound defensive regarding my love for the Watch Six, but I noticed you didn't compare prices on the holsters. The Watch Six comes in at just $67.

Also, if you check it out at the Milt Sparks website you'll find explanation regarding the amount of detail in the Watch Six design.

I should try a VM2, but have stuck with the Watch Six because of it's slim design, not having the thicker reinforced mouth. I presume the comfort level is similar, but there are so many accolades for the VM2 that I feel left out...heh.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC View Post
    The Watch Six comes in at just $67.
    So of the three the K&D got the best review and is only a few bucks more. Plus Kevin will modify your holster to perfectly fit any adds ons to your gun. Kevin is fitting my Dakota to accommodate the Tru Glo fiber optic sights and laserlyte laser I have added to my XD. In addition to any exotic trim and custom leather tooling you may want. Now that is a true custom leather work at an great price
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

JimmyC: I would like to try out a WatchSix sometime as it looks to be a great holster. I've read the description on their website describing thats it the most basic holster they make, still looks great though. You should definitely try out a VMII sometime as the design looks exactly the same with a little more detail and tougher leather and reinforced mouth. The Dakota is a great holster but if I could only have 1 out of the 3 and price/wait time was not a consideration, the VMII would be my choice. Next time I am just going to put in an order for a VMII and if I need to add on or change the firearm for the holster I can just call and do that and just try to keep the time passing.

Quote Originally Posted by SiG239 View Post
    The Dakota is a great holster but if I could only have 1 out of the 3 and price/wait time was not a consideration, the VMII would be my choice. Next time I am just going to put in an order for a VMII and if I need to add on or change the firearm for the holster I can just call and do that and just try to keep the time passing.
    Why is that? What did not not like about your Dakota? How is your VMII better?
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    Why is that? What did not not like about your Dakota? How is your VMII better?
    I think comparing the dakota defender to the VM2 may be comparing to totally different designs. The cochise defender would be a better comparison IMO. First the dakota's lack of trigger guard coverage and the fact that I can physically get to the trigger while it is holstered and successfully pull it, there is enough slack between the guard and leather to get a finger there. Second which is not that big of deal is the felt on the back is starting to peel off after a couple days of wear. Also the mouth of the holster closes easily which was to be expected with no reinforcement.

The VMII is better IMO because it will always be strong leather with the metal at the mouth of the holster. There is no possible way to access the trigger while holstered, it is impossible. It's also very comfortable, not quite of comfy as the dakota but the leather is thicker so that could be expected.
    Last edited by SiG239; October 13th, 2007 at 07:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SiG239 View Post
    First the dakota's lack of trigger guard coverage and the fact that I can physically get to the trigger while it is holstered and successfully pull it, there is enough slack between the guard and leather to get a finger there.
    If I may add something here. To my knowledge, you are the first of approximately 400 users of that holster to accomplish that while wearing the holster properly. Second, and a more likely scenario, you have abused that holster like you did the Maverick Defender you recently sent to me to be fixed/replaced. So I can understand how you could then wiggle a finger down into the holster and attempt to pull the trigger. And that being the case, why do you have it up for sale in the "for sale" section here on the forum?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links