comparison review Vedder light tuck vs Concealment Express

This is a discussion on comparison review Vedder light tuck vs Concealment Express within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have one of each and like them both very much. There are a few pros and cons, so here they are, for comparison purposes ...

Like Tree19Likes
  • 10 Post By ShooterGranny
  • 1 Post By Zredwire
  • 1 Post By forester58
  • 1 Post By 1MoreFord
  • 1 Post By drift
  • 1 Post By Someguy80
  • 2 Post By kmckinnon
  • 1 Post By PhaedrusIV
  • 1 Post By 9PoundHammer

Thread: comparison review Vedder light tuck vs Concealment Express

VIP Member

I have one of each and like them both very much. There are a few pros and cons, so here they are, for comparison purposes for those of you who want a minimal IWB Kydex holster. First, links to each of them so you can see the pictures from all angles and see the details I discuss:

Vedder Holsters LightTuck Kydex IWB Holster

https://www.concealmentexpress.com/c...nt=34308547523

Both come in either right hand or left hand draw, and both are made for a wide variety of gun models.

1. The clip. Please study the pictures on line to understand my comments in this section.

The concealment express holster has a BIG "plastic" clip that will take up to a 1 3/4" belt. It is also wide enough on the inside so that I can actually get my new thick Armour belt through it plus the material of my jeans.

The Vedder clip is metal and although you can order a 1 3/4" clip for a 1 1/2" belt, I think it still will be too narrow on the inside because of the way the metal narrows toward the bottom. I can use my "A better belt" with the Vedder holster because it is not as thick as the Armour belt. Not as stiff or supportive either, but still a really nice belt.

2. Cant. The concealment express comes adjusted to 15 degree cant but you can move the one side of the clip down to a zero cant. For me, carrying in front of my hip, this works well. I would prefer a very slight reverse cant, but no complaints as to ease of draw.

The Vedder can be adjusted for positive, zero and negative cant. It can also be adjusted for ride height.

3. Tuckable. Concealment express not. Vedder yes. A wee bit tricky but with a thin shirt/blouse that does not go down very far on your body it tucks very nicely. I've had my Vedder holster (actually 2 of them) for over 2 years and only ever tucked one time, and that was more for demonstration than for actual wearing.

4. Fit to gun. Both are molded to the specific gun and both "click" when you holster your gun, letting you know that the trigger guard has snapped in place.

The concealment Express holster stops just a wee bit short of covering the very bottom of the trigger guard, but effectively covers it. The Vedder holster Kydex comes to the very bottom of the trigger guard.

5. Ease of draw. Both are adjustable. Suggest using non permanent lock tight when you get all adjustments to your liking. The holster makers note that things will loosen up over time, so the lock tight is a nice thing to have. Concealment Express suggests that you "lubricate" the inside of their holster with a very light coating of light gun oil. I choose to not do this and see no need because I have the adjustment loose enough so that I can easily draw my gun and yet it still has excellent retention when I turn it upside down and shake it.

6. Sweat shield. The Concealment Express sweat shield does not come all the way to the end of the slide, so part of the slide will touch your skin if you don't wear an undershirt.

The Vedder sweat shield comes to all but a fraction of an inch of the full length of the slide.

7. Comfort. Absolute and total, both brands. The Concealment Express that I have for my G42 has a little Kydex below the end of the gun and I thought it might be a problem but it is not noticeable at all.

8. Finish. Neither brand has any sharp edges. BUT all edges of the Vedder holster are rounded off and very smooth. The edges of the Concealment Express holster are cut square but not sharp like they would scratch - just not rounded.

8. Price. Concealment Express has a very good selection of ready to ship holsters for the more popular guns, priced at only $34.95 each. You have your choice of plain black or carbon fiber black. It was a total of 5 days between the time I ordered my holster and when I received it: Florida to TN, regular shipping. You can also click on "shop by color" and have tons of choices for about $10 more.

The Vedder is slightly less expensive if you order it from them rather than on Amazon, and you have a choice of MANY colors. Base price for the light tuck model is $54.95 (plus shipping). Colors are from $3 to $7 extra depending on the color. I ordered a brown light tuck for my Bersa BPcc and it also arrived at my house in less than a week.

Both are made in the US. Vedder states specifically that it is family owned "and please tell your friends". Vedder has dozens more gun models that they can make holsters for than Concealment Express does.

There are many other very good holster makers, some of whom are member/sponsors here. I just wanted to share my personal experience with these two. If you need a good quality minimal, sturdy IWB holster FAST, these two companies are worth looking at.
    wmhawth, xeero, BadgerJ and 7 others like this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post

1. The clip. Please study the pictures on line to understand my comments in this section.

The concealment express holster has a BIG "plastic" clip that will take up to a 1 3/4" belt. It is also wide enough on the inside so that I can actually get my new thick Armour belt through it plus the material of my jeans.

The Vedder clip is metal and although you can order a 1 3/4" clip for a 1 1/2" belt, I think it still will be too narrow on the inside because of the way the metal narrows toward the bottom. I can use my "A better belt" with the Vedder holster because it is not as thick as the Armour belt. Not as stiff or supportive either, but still a really nice belt.
    Thanks for the write-up! Very informative. You are the second person I have heard of that has a problem with the Vedder Metal clip going over their belt. I use a thick Armour belt also and don't have any problems with the Vedder 1.5" clip. I have both a Vedder Lighttuck and a Rapidtuck that use the 1.5" metal clip. Now I don't wear jeans, just Khakis and Cargo Pants/shorts. Maybe they have thinner material in the waist? Not sure but interesting anyway. I personally love the metal clip after wearing Foxx holsters (which I love the holsters themselves) and having three plastic clips break.
    ShooterGranny likes this.

Thanks SG. These are the two I was deciding on and went with the Concealment Express for cost and now have one for each gun, I like them that much.
    FYI: A few minutes with a Dremel tool with a pointed grinding stone and now my CE holsters go from about 22 degrees forward to about 8 degrees reverse cant. Very easy to lengthen the adjustment grooves. Mine only has a 1 1/2 clip but, I do see where you can order additional clips for 1 3/4 width as well. I find the thick plastic clips work best for not snagging cover garments vs the thinner steel type.
    "I do not carry a gun so I can impose my will on someone else, I carry a gun so someone else cannot impose their will on me."
    Lynn Givens

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I have the Vedder Lighttuck and bought it with the 1-1/2" clip. It worked fine on my ole POS non gun belt. With the purchase of a Bigfoot Gun Belt I had to order their 1-3/4" clip to work properly.

Thanks Granny!!

Got my vedder a few days ago. I love the metal spring clip over the plastic ones! Good review!

Quote Originally Posted by Zredwire View Post
    Thanks for the write-up! Very informative. You are the second person I have heard of that has a problem with the Vedder Metal clip going over their belt. I use a thick Armour belt also and don't have any problems with the Vedder 1.5" clip. I have both a Vedder Lighttuck and a Rapidtuck that use the 1.5" metal clip. Now I don't wear jeans, just Khakis and Cargo Pants/shorts. Maybe they have thinner material in the waist? Not sure but interesting anyway. I personally love the metal clip after wearing Foxx holsters (which I love the holsters themselves) and having three plastic clips break.
    I too have had a plastic clips break. I think that is normal after a lot of use. But it happened enough to make me try metal clips. Now I am a convert (really liking the metal clips) although the jury is still out regarding any additional wear and tear on my untucked shirts.
    Zredwire and ShooterGranny like this.

Great review, Shooter Granny ! Thanks for taking the time to post it.
    - testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -

Thank you for the in-depth review. It is appreciated. How timely. I have recently begun considering purchasing a LightTuck.

Sponsored Links