Defensive Carry banner

IWB or OWB

2K views 15 replies 15 participants last post by  Chaddae52 
#1 ·
I would like to know how you carry and why. Not sure what is right for me.

#3 ·
Personally I do not like IWB - I do not want to have to get pants larger to accomodate the rig, plus despite age am still a tad ''boney'' and that tight contact just does not suit.

OWB is almost always more comfortable (IMO) and that is what I use. Much tho depends on lifestyle and carry options re clothing. My OWB sits on every bit as tight as an IWB - the only extra concealement needed is for the holster portion that is below belt line.

Fortunately this is no problem for me, as I can easily dress around it, and anyways am OC most of the day working from home.

IMO - if you can handle the concealement aspect - OWB will be more comfortable - I fancy too tho not all may agree - the draw might be a shade faster.

I'll add too - the slimmer guys with reasonable broad shoulders, should find the cover garment hangs such that there is a small ''space'' at waist - that helps OWB. If bigger and/or ''pear shaped'' - then IWB might be less obtrusive and easier to conceal.

#4 ·
IWB for me. Offers concealment with just a t-shirt. Bigger pain to put on, though. I think OWB would be easier to find one that is comfortable, as it won't be mashed against you, but a poorer choice for all-around concealment if your attire varies like mine.

#5 ·
I've only carried for a month now, mostly OWB because the IWB just didn't feel as comfortable. Just a few days ago I decided that since I had spent the money for the IWB I should really give it a chance. Tues. I left the OWB home and after a few hours straight the IWB was feeling much better. Mine atleast is a little easier to put on and much easier to remove if needed than the OWB, and is getting more comfortable each day(getting used to it). So, looks like the IWB is taking over and is a bit easier for me to conceal.

#7 ·
I prefer IWB because I don't need to worry about my "cover garmet" covering the bottom portion of the holster and I think it allows me to hide a bigger gun easier.

BTW: I carry a 4" N-Frame Revolver. Lately I've been carrying OWB, but I do have to make more clothing considerations to carry this way than if I was using an IWB Holster.

Biker :tumbleweed:

#8 ·
mostly iwb,but also owb depending the weather.{hot or cold}
but you fellow mich. members know if you dont like the weather,
just wait five minutes. it will change.

#9 ·
+1 on trial and error. I've CCW for about 4 months now and have been either IWB or belly band. A cover garment in Mississippi in the summer just screams "I'm hiding something.". Now that it is cooling off, I have an OWB Don Hume JIT slide ordered to try a change.

Its your body, your gun...find what's comfortable so you don't stop carrying.

#11 ·
I do have OWB's and a shoulder rig, but I prefer IWB's above all others...I have 2 doz+.
My IWB's are the only thing I now feel comfortable with...

#14 ·
Now you know why we all have a B-I-G box of holsters! :rofl:

Unfortunately, it's a personal thing you'll have to work out. If you have any CCW friends, try some of their holsters just to get an idea what you might like.

My favorite holster is the Milt Sparks VersaMax-II IWB holster but I also use others from time to time.

http://www.miltsparks.com/ Good luck! :wink:

#15 ·
big box of holsters... amen brother.

after only a couple of IWB holster, i picked up a don hume OWB. where was this 3 holsters ago? my glock 19 conceals under an untucked shirt or jacket just as easy OWB as any of the IWB that i had. unless i'm trying for a tuckable, i can't tell the difference with a cover garment or untucked. however, the OWB is much more comfortable and i don't have to upsize belts or pants.

#16 ·
OWB at 2:30 for me. I'm 6'4 and 230 though. Pretty easy for me to conceal most anything. With the right shirt an xD9 Service disappears.

Try both for a few hours each if u can and pick whats most comfortable. Some people will try something on that conceals well and seems comfortable in the moment, only to find it painful after a FULL day of carry...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.