Comp-tac M-TAC holster (IWB)

This is a discussion on Comp-tac M-TAC holster (IWB) within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been using the M-TAC over the past couple of months. The M-TAC is made by Minotaur holsters for Comp-TAC (I assume it is ...

I have been using the M-TAC over the past couple of months.

The M-TAC is made by Minotaur holsters for Comp-TAC (I assume it is an OEM agreement) according to their website. (http://www.comp-tac.com/catalog/prod...products_id=95)

It is a combination kydex and leather holster, that is worn with the leather up against your body. It is an IWB holster that allows for very comfortable all day carry of a full-size to sub-compact pistol. I have the "slide" model which features a muzzle-end open design that allows for the carry of pistols of different sizes. G17-22 / G19-23 / G26-27 can all be carried by one holster without issue.

The kydex half of their holster is very similar to if you took a C-TAC holster and cut it in half and mounted it on a leather plate. It has two adjustable retention screws that have a rubber bushing between the leather and kydex. Unfortunately, during a LMS Defense Pistol I class in Montrose, CO, I lost a screw during use. (Partially my fault for loosening it up and not securing it with blue lock-tite) The good news is that I did not discover that it was gone until I went to remove it, it still held the pistol ok, even without the retention screws because of the design. When worn, your belt will compress the kydex into your body, still locking the pistol in. The side of the holster that does not have the retention screws is secured to the leather. This however also has a minor negative which is; if you tighten your belt a lot, you will increase the retention tension of the holster. So, I do not over-tighten my belt.

I contacted Comp-TAC and they snet me the retention screw assembly under warranty. No hassle.

As you can see in the picture, the holster also features the fully adjustable and interchangable belt clip/loop assembly as the C-TAC. It is very adjustable, and secure. I use the C clips which is lower profile than the other options.

I like this holster, and will continue to use it.
    Attached Images

I having some difficulty getting comfortable with mine...

Is there a break in period?

Do you wear yours at 3:00, 3:30, 4:00 or somewhere else?

TIA
    Go Glock - until you can afford H&K

I also use the MTAC with my sig 229 very easy to wear all day.

I wear mine @ 3:30 and it took about a day to mold to body. Now I sometimes have to reach back and make sure it's there.
    H&K P2000SK .40 V3 (X2 Tactical Light)
    Glock 26 (Lasermax)
    S&W 642 (Crimson Trace)
    Kel Tec P3AT

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Catalina View Post
    I having some difficulty getting comfortable with mine...

Is there a break in period?

Do you wear yours at 3:00, 3:30, 4:00 or somewhere else?

TIA
    Hah, you must be skinny! For my big 'ole as it took a few days for the leather to conform.

Now, no worries.

YMMV
    Why is it that you always find things at the last place you looked?
    Because when you find something-you stop looking-Mooch

Interesting. This is almost exactly like my CROSSBREED Super Tuck Deluxe, except the Crossbreed is about $20 less expensive and seems to have more leather area to spread the weight better. I'm a big guy but I can now wear a full sized Sig P226 in south Florida heat with just a shirt tucked in as cover and nobody is the wiser. I love my Crossbreed. It does take a bit of getting used to and dressing can be a major mission in getting the Sig tucked while keeping the pant's "up." But once I've got the technique mastered, it'll be fine. I'm thinking of getting the Crossbreed for a smaller and lighter pistol for comparison. Maybe for my Glock M27 40.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I have an MTAC and have heard a lot of people say it's very much like the crossbreed. I looked at the crossbreed after I got my MTAC and I can see it. I think either one is a good choice. I purchased from Comp-Tac because I had recently purchased thier CTAC and loved it. The MTAC was what I was looking for......the comfort of leather when I wore less clothes during the heat of summer and moving around more. I'll ware either holsters depending on what I wearing and doing.

Took about a week of steady wear til the leather broke in on the MTAC. I also saw a picture someone posted of thier MTAC after they had cut the bottom tab off....said it instantly became more comfortable and eaiser to wear. I'm thinking of doing the same with mine. That little flap of leather can pinch sometimes but it dosn't bother me like it did right after I got it. Maybe I'll leave it there too.

So far in dealing with the folks at Comp-Tac I'm more that pleased with thier products and I certinaly love thier service. I'd recommend looking into Comp-Tac when in the market for a holster.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I have both a Crossbreed and MTAC, and while the Crossbreed is more comfortable out of the box, the MTAC eventually softens up. The MTAC leather is a bit stiffer in part because it has two layers sewn together. I worked the MTAC leather like a new baseball glove and eventually it molded to my body. Now I can use it all day without noticing it's there.

Anyone here with an MTAC get poked in your side/thigh with the part of the holster where the clips are? I got one for my P229 and the clips seem to press on my thigh and cause some discomfort. Do you think this will go away after breaking my MTAC in? Any break-in tips for the MTAC?

I love my MTAC, after a day or two, it molded to me and has never been uncomfortable. So for break in, just wear it. I wear mine at about 4 o'clock and use it with any of my Glocks. You can adjust the cant and carry position, so see what suits you best. It is very comfortable and conceals well. I like it so much I canceled my order I had been waiting on for a MAX CON VI. The service by Comp Tac is OUTSTANDING. VERY PROMPT and they communicate what is happening along the way. Best $70 I've spent on a holster. A completely hassle free experience. I also bought one for my step son for his G 36, he is VERY HAPPY with it too.
    Last edited by sass20485; October 9th, 2007 at 11:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by raffysoriano View Post
    Anyone here with an MTAC get poked in your side/thigh with the part of the holster where the clips are? I got one for my P229 and the clips seem to press on my thigh and cause some discomfort. Do you think this will go away after breaking my MTAC in? Any break-in tips for the MTAC?
    If the bottom of the clips themselves are sticking you because you are using the top screw hole,you can just cut off the end of the clip slightly above the bottom of the leather.
    Just make sure you are happy with the holster position first or you'll have to buy a new set of clips.
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

Did the bodies go up in price? I seem to remember them being $30.

Quote Originally Posted by stgdz View Post
    Did the bodies go up in price? I seem to remember them being $30.
    I believe the prices on M-Tacs and separate bodies went up 1Sep.
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

I have both the MTAC & the Crossbreed - for comfort alone I would take the Crossbreed over the MTAC. The MTAC will never mold to the body like the Crossbreed. This is soley due to the removable shells and the mounting points on the MTAC. So you either have great comfort or interchangeable shells for different guns. Plus, there is less leather coverage on the MTAC. Comp-Tac does have one of the best communications setup out there - and thier customer support is top notch.

Recieved my m-tac Tuesday I carried my Sig 245 all day yesterday it was by far the most comfortable holster I have ever owned. I am going to call this morning and order one for my Kimber ultra ten, and a shell for my G-21.

Links