IWB, will your firearm fall out?

This is a discussion on IWB, will your firearm fall out? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have ordered a MaxCon V for my XD45 in June of 2006 and in December of 2006, I ordered a MaxCon V for my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IWB, will your firearm fall out?

I have ordered a MaxCon V for my XD45 in June of 2006 and in December of 2006, I ordered a MaxCon V for my Kahr PM9. In talking with a local Sheriff, he mentioned that many firearms fall out of their holster if not strapped (when running, etc). As I'm looking forward to receiving my new holsters, I am also wondering if I should have a strap added as well?

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Many LE agencies have policies stating that they have to have thumb straps on their holsters.

Keep in mind that Agencies need to be VERY liability conscious & unless they're going to buy off-duty equipment as well as on-duty, then they have to make certain policies to protect everyone. Officers tend to "scimp" on their off-duty holsters & so many "cheap" holsters won't hold the gun in.

Having had a MaxCon V, I can tell you that the gun won't fall out. Any quality holster (Especially any of the custom ones made by makers on this forum), makes their holster molded to the gun. Also, on an IWB, it's tougher for a gun to come out (Even a cheapie), because of your belt & pants holding the holster in.

Also keep in mind that POs duty holsters are not molded very tightly to their gun & so they need straps.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

I go jogging with my Glock 23 in a cheapie nylon holster with my dog all the time and it never falls out. Out of a custom leather holster, I would suspect its even less of a problem.

The key is a good belt.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Not if you have a quality holster with good tension.

Unless you plan on doing forward rolls and back flips most good quality IWB holsters will hold your gun securely without straps. I carry a full size 1911 in a Milt Sparks Summer special and it is rock solid!

I also have a MaxCon. I carry my Glock 19 and it will not fall out. My first carry holster had a strap as I felt more secure with it. Since than I have carried OWB with a Don Hume holster and IWB with my Max Con, both open top. Both have worked great in all types of conditions from daily setting and standing to riding the bike and quads to rolling around under the car.

There is no need for the retension strap in most conditions. If it makes you feel better than by all means do it. However I would recommend you try without the strap first, I think you will be just fine.
    Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."

~ Thomas Jefferson

Senior Moderator
    I have an IWB holster that I could stand on my head for six hours with and my gun wouldn't fall out. A good holster standard for me is one in which I can put my gun, turn it upside down and not have the gun fall out.

Most leather will do that, and if Kydex is properly tightened, it will do it too.

I carry a K9 in a MaxCon V walking, jogging, and even while climbing a tree to hunt and have had no problems. I can still hold the holster updside down with the pistol in it and it doesn't fall out. Brommeland makes good quality leather products...IMHO.
    noli nothis permittere te terere...

A lot of people buy uncle mike's nylon holsters. Buy a custom leather or a custom kydex and you won't have that problem.

Nylon holsters are about as effective as putting the gun in a sock and taping it to your belt.

like everyone else stated, there will be no retention problems with a quality IWB holster at all.

i have an uncle mike's IWB; never had my piece jump out on me.

I carry a Kahr P9 or a Springfield 1911 A1 in an Tucker IWB holster and I don't know if I could do 6 hours on my head like Lima but short of that it will not fall out. (I'd have brain damage after about 10 minutes on my head.) You shouldn't have to worry about a good quality holster.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Stay In The Holster?

Let me tell you a short story...
    My wife thought it was funny, I did not, but it's been that way for 36 years...

Two years ago we were at a local rodeo (some of my high school kids were bull riding and barrel racing). We were sitting up in the grand stands...about 8 rows up.

I was armed, as usual (at that time I was CCW...in a IWB Fist leather holster). I wanted to walk around a bit and started down the bleachers and missed a step and fell to my side and down about three steps. Other than a bruised ego, and my wife's cackle, I survived without any physical damage.

My 9mm remained it its holster...a true test of a sidearm's ablity to remain in a quality leather 'fitted' holster. My weapon was under a cover shirt and was never seen...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    I can say in all honesty that your gun will not fall out of a Brommeland rig if you have done your part and selected the correct holster for your particular make and model of firearm.
    That would include running, jumping, falling, standing on your head and forward rolls.
    Brommeland rigs are very closely "form fit" to the firearms that they are crafted to house.
    The gun will stay where it needs to stay until it's needed.

So "No" you should not have a retention strap added to your holster in order to "fix" a problem that you'll never have.
    What you should do is show your holster to the Sheriff that told you that...so that he can see for himself what a perfect custom piece of top quality gunleather looks like.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I have a C-TAC holster for my SIG. Forward cant right on my hip with c-clips. I was about to throw this holster away until I bought a Galco belt. Made a world of difference. Now, I love this holster.

BTW, part of the testing phase was chasing my dog all over the backyard with a toad in her mouth.

Do you see it?

How about now?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links