Any holsters for purses?

This is a discussion on Any holsters for purses? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know there's holster purses you can buy, but is there such a thing as a purse holster? I thought maybe there might be a ...

Thread: Any holsters for purses?

Any holsters for purses?

I know there's holster purses you can buy, but is there such a thing as a purse holster? I thought maybe there might be a holster designed to clip inside a purse ? perhaps on a side pocket? Anybody have any idea where I could find one? Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

Any pocket holster should do well. An IWB clip-type holster would also work.

Austin

Distinguished Member Array BCurry1's Avatar
    http://www.donhume.com/Products/Prod...m?ProductID=35
    Heres a cheap IWB that has a clip that could do what your looking for.
    Curry

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    I sell alot of the spring clip IWB's for women who trade them from a purse to IWB. The key is to have a very strongly made purse for the clip style IWB to work.......
    Pocket holsters would have to be fitted to the purse pocket to make them work correctly.
    Shoot well.....
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    An IWB clip-type holster would also work.
    Really? What's it going to "clip" to?

I'm not a big fan of "clip on" holsters but there are some that have spring steel clips, with a positive block, that will successfully lock to the belt. That's a key issue to preventing the holster from being pulled out with the gun.

You could "clip" it to a divider in a purse or handbag but what's going to keep it in place, other than a bit of friction? Now it's a 3-handed job to support the purse, hold the holster and draw the gun.

Well made holster handbags are not inexpensive but they've worked out the wrinkles in the design. All Galco handbags have a locking zipper on the holster compartment for a little bit of added security in the office or home. It keeps out those who have no need to access a gun.
    Packin' Heat Leather
    Galco & Bianchi Dealer
    McAllen, Texas USA

thanks for the info. The main reason I was looking for a holster that could clip inside a purse is that , it would give my wife the ability to switch purses when she wanted too. As for what I thought it would clip too, I thought maybe it could clip to a pocket on the side of the purse .

"Really? What's it going to "clip" to?"

Well...having many female customers, including my ex wife who did the "purse switch" alot.....there alot of purses out there not designed for carry that have alot of things to clip a holster to inside of the purse. Thats why I stated that it had to be made very well.....

As far a a three handed operation....the clips I and many other makers use, have a "claw" built into the spring clip....this is what is going to keep it in place..the purse is supported by the strap and shoulder, one hand opens the purse and the strong hand draws the gun.

The only thing that takes three hands is getting the holster out of the purse to change it to the new improved version.......

A good carry purse is between 200-400 dollars typically...there are less expensive ones but you get what you pay for.

Shoot well and god bless

Eric,

We're not only an online retailer but we also attend major Texas gun shows.

Not a show passes without a customer wanting to buy a clip-located IWB holster to fasten in a purse or utility bag. Who am I to argue? Though I always suggest that we try it to ensure that it works. Typically, there is not enough friction between the spring-steel clip and whatever it is attached to and the holster draws with the gun but there are exceptions and that seems based upon gun fit.

Good news! Women do not need to spend the quoted "$200 to $400" to get a quality holster handbag. Galco's very well made products retail for $132 to $300 and are, likely, the very best on the market.

I hope this helps clarify things.
    Packin' Heat Leather
    Galco & Bianchi Dealer
    McAllen, Texas USA

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    LOL i know there is no point ... but i have to try anyway . Why not get the wife a nice custom on body holster that matches some shoes or something . Off body or purse carry is by no means optimal . I know the suggestion is both preaching to the choir, and falling on deaf ears since my wife normaly carries via a small leather buttpack that she uses in preferance of a purse .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

All good points....I have one rule and one rule only for recommending a holster for a customer....if it works for you, you train with it and its safe3.... then thats all that matters.

Women + carrying a gun = a very complex situation....and a very individual one also.

The clip that we use is good enough that it works with my jammies at night if I want to carry my gun....it can be used with some fairly thin material and works well in purses.

Shoot well and god bless

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Thanks for all the help, and suggestions. A holster that matches her shoes , that's pretty good,she might actually like that. So far she's only talked about carrying it in her purse, but I think I'll ask ask her what she thinks about actually carrying it on her, and see what she says. I guess in the end it'll all come down to finding what works for her, even if it means going through alot of trial and error.

Links