Bulman Leather

This is a discussion on Bulman Leather within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I haven't ordered anything from him in a while, but Ken Null was good to me....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bulman Leather

I haven't ordered anything from him in a while, but Ken Null was good to me.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by sdr7871 View Post
    Well, I suppose this an inherent "theme" with "custom holster" craftsmen. I must say I am somewhat disappointed in the lack of "customer care and service" they give.(Yes, I understand I am generalizing) Allow me to expound. Having served in the retail industry for 27 years I believe I can speak a thing or two about customer service. What we are witnessing here is a lack of business acumen and awareness of a customers expectations. I do indeed get the sense that these "craftsmen" truly believe they are doing us "customers" a favor. They would expect us to tolerate poor service and lack of communication because they are " craftsmen" and their work takes much time. How dare us to demand simple straight forward answers to our questions! The gall of us "customers" to even question their integrity or sincerity! Mr. Bulman and others(you know who you are).The time has come for the complacency and apathy on your parts to END. We are the ones that keep you in business.WE are the ones that extoll your work to others so youmay garner more business. Do not attempt to insult our intelligence anymore with excuses and inane laments. Deliver the products that have been ordered in good faith and do so in a timely fashion. If you have issues then simply COMMUNICATE with your customer. Sounds fairly simple right? Well then...... get to it OK?

Thank you sir for a well written post that sums up my feelings pretty clearly.

As some of you may be aware, I went through an ordeal with a "big name" holster maker that frequents this site. I was told 3-4 months until completion. I cancelled my order at 9 months. After I cancelled he finished the holster and asked me if I wanted it. My answer was a definate NO!

There are some good holster makers out there that are not only craftsmen, but have a good sense of customer service too. I've dealt with a few of the big names, but the list is very short as to whom I will patronize.

Greg Kramer
    Milt Sparks
    Ken Null
    Matt Del Fatti
    Mitch Rosen

All of the above is whom I will give my hard earned money to. There may be others that give good customer service, but these are the one's that I've had dealings with. I will continue to use these makers for their excellent craftsmanship and commitment to customer service.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by whw View Post
    I would appreciate a list of the good guys, because I'm soured on the, "don't call me, I'll call you" response. So much so that I'm going to start ordering from a big corporation that can deliver on what they advertise. I would rather have a holster that is of lesser quality than one that costs a lot of money and is never delivered.
    You have a few choices:

1. Sometimes holsters makers have a small ready-to-ship stock available. Never hurts to call. Of course, if this is one of the one-man shops that never return calls, this approach fails.

2. Go to a middle man retailer like:

http://www.lightningarms.com
    http://www.holster-connection.com/
    http://www.gunnersalley.com

...where you might hit gold, or not, but will be a little more $$ than ordering direct.

3. Go to the places that have good product and also have reasonable and candid delays and good customer service like Milt Sparks, Kramer, and few others. (ETA: also FIST -- I actually use a FIST 20 leather IWB for my G17 and can recommend it. They said "5 weeks" and it was 5 weeks).

4. Or you could just get something like Galco, where it'll be in your mailbox in a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Piglet View Post
    Here's a quote from Brommeland's website:

Quote:
    As many of you are aware, we experienced a period of time in which our supply of leather was interrupted and as a result, we are running very behind in our deliveries. The problem is being TREMENDOUSLY compounded with "is it done yet?" phone calls and emails - so many of them that our production is now down well below 50% of what we can normally accomplish.

Please bear in mind that we normally have 2-3 hundred orders at any given time, plus new folks calling and asking product questions every day as well. If each of our existing customers called us with an "is it done yet"? call every two weeks, that's 30 calls a day, plus new customer inquires. Plus emails. Plus PM's. We simply can't do it all.
    Yet from these forums, I DON'T get the idea that every customer is calling constantly. Most of the posters here are like me: promised 3 - 4 months, then after 8 or 9 months, we try to reach the guy and don't get any response. After an outrageously long delay, which is their fault, not ours, it's not too much ask for ONE SINGLE STATUS REPORT.

Yeah, I get there is time spent in dealing with irate customers -- but YOU made them irate. This is a problem you created, hence you are obliged to fix. And there are plenty of easy solutions: as has been mentioned, put a little status blurb on the website or even on your voicemail. But evading customers and stonewalling a delay that's 3x what was stated is not acceptable. In no other industry would this be acceptable.

If you used a credit card through Paypal to make the payment you can call your credit card company and have them pull the funds back. It has worked for me in the past.

I'm getting a lot more reserved in the holsters I suggest to others. My list used to be long but now it's short.

I'm more open to mass produced holsters that I was formerly.

Some of the Kydex makers that used to be custom are going with injection molding and this is why they can crank them out so fast. Some still do custom thermoformed kydex but that number grows smaller because they can't keep pace. This isn't to say that I'd ever touch an Uncle Mike [shuddering] but I think comp tac has gone mass production and everyone still likes them. But, even in the custom world - Dan Hillsman, BearClaw Holsters, RM and others still get their orders out relatively fast compared to leather - and I suppose the gripes aren't about kydex makers, anyway.

Leather - I used to 'diss Galco and Bianchi but these days it doesn't seem too bad to walk into a store and walk out with a Galco. Granted they aren't as nice but at the same time they're not all THAT bad. Milt Sparks, K&D and others still run a pretty tight ship so I can't 'diss them but it's harder for uninformed or casual gun owners to know 'the lay of the land'. As a rule of thumb - if you can find a 'start up' custom holster maker who does great work you will probably get a good product in a reasonable time. UBG is a good example of that.

' nuff said.

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    Maybe the solution is that a 50% deposit be put down by the buyer with full payment due when holster is completed and ready to be shipped. This gives the leather craftsman some funds to keep supplies and the incentive to complete orders.

I've made two purchases from Black Hills Leather and am pleased with the service I've received.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

Quote Originally Posted by dgg9 View Post
    Yet from these forums, I DON'T get the idea that every customer is calling constantly. Most of the posters here are like me: promised 3 - 4 months, then after 8 or 9 months, we try to reach the guy and don't get any response. After an outrageously long delay, which is their fault, not ours, it's not too much ask for ONE SINGLE STATUS REPORT.

Yeah, I get there is time spent in dealing with irate customers -- but YOU made them irate. This is a problem you created, hence you are obliged to fix. And there are plenty of easy solutions: as has been mentioned, put a little status blurb on the website or even on your voicemail. But evading customers and stonewalling a delay that's 3x what was stated is not acceptable. In no other industry would this be acceptable.
    I have to agree. And, just as holster-makers don't like to be painted with the same brush, I don't particularly appreciate the broad strokes used to characterize customers.

When I was promised a holster in 20 weeks (by a "premium" craftsman), I made no attempt to contact the maker untill 1 month after it was due. At that time I was told they had a few problems that put them 6 - 8 weeks behind, but mine was going right onto the bench in January. At the end of January, was promised 4 weeks. In mid-March, I was promised 3 weeks. At the end of April, I was promised mine would be in the very next batch, about a week out. At the end of June, I was promised 7-9 days.

I haven't emailed or phoned since. I decided to be patient and understanding of all the troubles, but the messages blaming customers for all the delays just ring hollow. Some holster-makers, like del Fatti, for example, have the posting on the website, which gives you a general idea of when yours might be done. Automated messages or auto-response emails could also be used. Craftsmen do this all the time and at least give some type communication other than petulance at the temerity of customers to wonder about their order and all the broken promises.

I've considered cancelling my order, but in a way, that would just let them off the hook. I've been waiting for an order that's a year late. I honestly don't consider 5 emails in a year and a half to be "badgering". Am I that bad to just want what I paid for? Or, barring that, to be given some realistic expectation of when I could expect it?

I've got to commend Eric Larsen for at least taking personal responsibility. He hasn't tried to blame anyone else (like his customers) for his difficulties, even during a very trying time for him.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

I will not go into detail except to say I have orderded from the following and found all to be responsive to Phone & Email contact.
    My holsters, belts etc. delivered right on time & some earlier!

1. UBG
    2. Fist
    3. Mika
    4. Simply Rugged(great revolver holsters)
    5. High Noon Holsters
    Last edited by Ray Blodgett; October 11th, 2007 at 11:20 AM. Reason: compose
    LIVE FREE OR DIE

Quote Originally Posted by rodc13 View Post
    .....Some holster-makers, like del Fatti, for example, have the posting on the website, which gives you a general idea of when yours might be done.....
    Not trying to butt in here, but I'll add this little tidbit and then I'll fall back into read only mode.

Our stated backlog estimates have been pretty accurate thus far, but as a further service to our customers I've decided to follow Matt's lead and as of mid September our customers have been able to visit our site and receive updated backlog information off a link posted on our home page. It's not the perfect solution, nor does it address individual orders, but it does give people a general idea where their order stands in the scheme of things . We also post our projected backlog estimate on new orders, so the potential customer knows where they stand before they even make the phone call to order.

It really doesn't take much time and I can update the site as needed during the time of day I usually answer email. If it saves the customer a little anxiety, then it is worth doing in my opinion.

Anyway, carry on.....

T
    Second Best is not an option

rodc13 wrote:

I've considered cancelling my order, but in a way, that would just let them off the hook. I've been waiting for an order that's a year late.
    I would not consider cancelling my order either, not because I'm worried about how the maker would feel, but simply because I'm dying to see my holster!!! When you've been waiting for an item like that for so long, the desire only increases with time. Money really isn't the object to me; it's getting the satisfaction of finally receiving a top-of-the-line piece of leather from a renowned maker, something that really stands out in the crowd.

I'm willing to put up with a lot to get that satisfaction.

T. Kanaley said:

Not trying to butt in here, but I'll add this little tidbit and then I'll fall back into read only mode.

Our stated backlog estimates have been pretty accurate thus far, but as a further service to our customers I've decided to follow Matt's lead and as of mid September our customers have been able to visit our site and receive updated backlog information off a link posted on our home page. It's not the perfect solution, nor does it address individual orders, but it does give people a general idea where their order stands in the scheme of things . We also post our projected backlog estimate on new orders, so the potential customer knows where they stand before they even make the phone call to order.

It really doesn't take much time and I can update the site as needed during the time of day I usually answer email. If it saves the customer a little anxiety, then it is worth doing in my opinion.
    Thank you very much, it is wonderful to see such a positive and helpful response from your outfit. Much appreciated.

Thanks for all the input, i just got off the phone with paypal and they stated there is nothing they can do UNLESS more than my one claim is filed against Bulman for not sending out the holsters if you used paypal to pay for them. If you have used paypal and have not received your merchandise from Bulman please take the time to file a resolution with paypal and they will address the problem and possibly stop allowing him to be a paypal merchant. the lesson I learned 'do not use paypal for anything that cannot be shipped and received in 45 days"

whw
    Quote Originally Posted by slimjim View Post
    In my experience, the following have delivered in a reasonable fashion. (without stating whom I have ordered from)
    1) UBG Holsters
    2) Fist
    3) Kramer
    4) Mika
    Thanks for the feedback. I will give at least one or two of them a try.

whw

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Blodgett View Post
    I will not go into detail except to say I have orderded from the following and found all to be responsive to Phone & Email contact.
    My holsters, belts etc. delivered right on time & some earlier!

1. UBG
    2. Fist
    3. Mika
    4. Simply Rugged(great revolver holsters)
    5. High Noon Holsters
    Glad to see Simply Rugged on your list. Have just ordered a holster for a 44 spcl and it is already in the mail. Looking forward to checking it out. Very good communication and super fast shipping.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

I would like to throw out a thumbs up for Nate (UBG). I have a gun that is very difficult to find a custom holster for. After hours of googles and endless links I couldn't find a custom holster maker that had a cast of my gun to mold a holster from. I e-mailed Nate to see if he had the cast or could get one. He did not have it:( He knew of a direct competitor of his that had the cast and could make the holster I was searching for, and e-mailed me the link to their website. Not only did he respond to my question quickly (overnight), but he also willingly handed my business to a competitor with nothing to gain for himself. That is what I call professional customer service. Kudos to you Nate! You and your work are top shelf, and my friend you have earned a future customer. The very next time I need a holster for a more common gun, you will be the one I give to my business to. I am currently in the market for a Springfield 1911 and when I save up enough to get it, I will be getting ahold of you to craft some leather for it. Thanks for helping me out Nate, you are the Man.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links